bluewaterstream

Sketchy dream...

So, I had my first skydiving dream last night and it was a bit on the sketchy side. I recall reading a few posts in the past about some of you having both good and bad skydiving dreams. Anyway, here's what went down in mine.

The dream took place at an unfamiliar DZ. I jumped at 12,500 and the dive itself was rather uneventful and actually seemed as if I pulled kinda high. Anyway, when I tossed the pilot chute it deployed the main but it was a serious mess. It appeared to be a nasty lineover with a few line twists and one released brake. The canopy looked like total crap so I immediately went to cut it away. I pulled the cutaway just about all way out but it got jammed up somehow and it wouldn't release me from the main. I remember checking my altitude at that point and I was at about 4 grand. I continued pulling on the cutaway handle but had no luck and was quickly running out of time. It seemed like the yellow cutaway cords were too long. I considered pulling out my knife and manually cutting it away but was unsure if I'd have enough time, so I wrapped the exposed yelllow cutaway lines around my hand and pulled as hard a I could and it cutaway successfully! I then pulled silver and was now under a reserve with about 5 line twists. Oh yeah, I remember being somewhat surprised that I had to pull silver considering that I had an RSL connected on the rig. So, I then kicked out of the line twists and was under a good reserve by about 1,500. I've never really been under a reserve yet, but the one in my dream looked like a cheap dirty old bedsheet and the toggles looked as if they where made out of an old t-shirt. Damn, I really hope my first reserve ride is nothing like this!

I only have 9 jumps at this point and just recently graduated AFF. Is this about when most of you began having these sick dreams? I definitely plan on jumping this weekend just to get these negative dream vibes out of my head.

Your first reserve canopy over your head will be a thing of beauty. Like a main only all the equipment attached to it has one purpose: make you have a safe ride. The toggles will probably be crisp as the day they were sewn, and the lines will be bright white.

I can't guarantee these things but that's about how my student-status reserve looked and it stands to reason yours will be the same.

*cough*practiceflares*cough*

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Uh-huh, I started having dreams after my second jump....sorry if you read about my nightmare in the 'dreams' thread. -It was just that one...most of the rest of my dreams are happy or simple cut-away dreams that I kinda consider 'confidence builder' emergency procedure dreams ;). -Wait 'til ya start dreaming of like prolonged freefalls and chatting with people in freefall and skydiving at work...:D. Those were some of mine anyhoo...
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

at least you didn't dream that you went to reserve, wondered why you were still in freefall, looked up to see a streamer above your head and then looked down to see the ground coming up, screaming, knowing you were going to bounce, as i did on saturday.

Being a dream, shaking the stars away and peeling myself up off the floor, then slowly making my way back to the dz thinking about having a beer and wondering how i was going to tell my story, seemed perfectly normal...

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

at least you didn't dream that you went to reserve, wondered why you were still in freefall, looked up to see a streamer above your head and then looked down to see the ground coming up, screaming, knowing you were going to bounce, as i did on saturday.

Being a dream, shaking the stars away and peeling myself up off the floor, then slowly making my way back to the dz thinking about having a beer and wondering how i was going to tell my story, seemed perfectly normal...

I almost had that dream. I'm guessing a lot of people do. I was probably at 1k with my hand on my reserve d-ring wondering whether I was going to get it out, up, and open before I met the treetops. I have a recurring theme in my nightmares about being unable to move quickly - each step while running takes several seconds, I don't know if I'll be able to pull the d-ring out of the velcro, trigger takes forever to pull and doesn't break like it's supposed to because the breech isn't closed, etc..

In real life I'm content that I can pull a D-ring or a throw-out in a cordura pouch with no drag. Gotta love adrenaline. B|

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Interesting dream a couple of weeks back;
I go from a totally different dream, nothing about jumping then I'm in freefall, throw out and felt the harness just go away! Immediately woke up sitting up in a cold sweat[:/]. What's interesting about the dream is that I check my chest strap at least a half dozen times before ever getting close to the door!