bluewaterstream

Lineover

So, I've heard a few stories of people landing mains with a lineover mal. Would any of you ever really do this? Newbies like myself, please don't respond - I'd rather hear what some of the experienced jumpers with significant numbers have to say. If so, why? I would fear that the canopy could potentially collapse while coming in for a landing, not leaving enough time to get the reserve out if needed.

If I was high enough with a lineover and had time to mess around with the canopy, I would first try and clear it and if that failed I would cut and pull silver. Is this how most of you would handle this situation?

Two lineovers here and two chops.
Only time I would consider landing one is it was on my reserve and I couldn't fix it or didn't have a hook knife...
Otherwise, do like you've practiced...chop it and land under a good canopy.

-Biffin

Swoo Rodriguez #1020, LawnDart, AR #007

I have never seen a line over landed and would never recommend attempting it.
Just because you think you can fly it up high (and I have flown one around for a while)
who's to say that lower to the ground the line won't shift and cause the canopy to collapse,
where it is too low to chop.
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

Had one...chopped one. Had it on jump #13. The canopy was flying straight with the line over not quite half way in on the right. At the time, being new and pulling high, I tried to clear it. Big mistake...!!!... It got very ugly VERY VERY quickly, going into a severe spin. Anyone that has had a spinning mal can tell you how fast it can happen. It was spinning so fast when I chopped, the reserve risers came across the front and up under my chin. You really don't want to have this happen.

Sure, others will tell you their success stories. That's fine. As a newbie, line over = immediate chop. If, if I ever have another one, and for whatever reason found myself too low to chop, I would cut the offending line before attempting to flare for landing.

Quincy

A total echo of Quincy -
lineover on jump number 7 - again was high up and being 104pounds on a 280 - even with a lineover, my fall rate was still slowed lots - first thought was - hmm wonder if I could land this? - as soon as I pumped my toggles and the slider came down - I went straight into a flat spin, and chopped in a split second.
over here post a-licence, you have to jump with a hook knife - but even then we're told to use it to clear a reserve line-over - not a main
you might not have time to hestitate - chop it
(I am a newbie though and this is just based on one personal experience)

(I am a newbie though and this is just based on one personal experience)

That is the reason for sharing your information.
A high level of experience is gained through your personal experiences
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

Had a line over once on a student Main. A Cruiselite 220 if memory serves. I had just jumped from a helicopter and 3500. Canopy looked like a lopsided bowtie, and spun violently..

1 lineover

1 chop.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

I had a lineover on a Sabre 135 a couple weeks ago (WL 1,15). Didn't look real bad, the canopy did spin but not all that hard. But there was no doubt in my mind about chopping it! ;) I did try to get the lines off for a little bit since I was still high up, didn't work (later on video I saw it wasn't a steering line but a whole linegroup, impossible to dislodge I think). So, at ~ 3000 ft, c-ya!

If this had been a Manta or something, hmmm, maybe it'd be sorta landable, for me at least. But why risk it....

And personally I wouldn't advise anyone to even try to clear a lineover... Just chop it.

If it was my reserve tho, then everything changes of course!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Had one and managed to clear, even if was spinning quite fast ;)... Not something I would recommend nor try to do again myself, but at that time (~150 jumps, Contrail150, loaded 1.2) I thought I can handle this:S. Plenty of altitude (opened high due to bad spot) and first it was not spinning too fast...a second later things got a lot worse - it was really difficult to grab the toggles, the spin got so violent. I unstowed the brakes and in one movement pulled them down slowly, almost collapsing the canopy.... well, this somehow cleared the lineover! :)
Anyway, I would still recommend a reserve ride instead B|

Line-overs were common back when I jumped first-generation tandem mains - or maybe it was just a lousy packer. Anyways, I cutaway from bunch of line-overs until Albert Champaign suggested pulling the toggles so far down and for so long that the canopy goes into a deep stall, then letting them up quickly. The resultant slack in the lines often allows a line-over to slide off the canopy.
The smallest canopy this technique has worked on was my Sabre 170.

Others posters mentioned trying to clear line-overs, but they did not mention specific techniques.
What techniques did they try?

But remember what all the other posters say: if you cannot clear the line-over by 1,800 feet, pull the red handle, closely followed by the silver handle!

I landed a bad one once.
It was my first BASE jump back in 84 from a 1000' tower. There was no BASE gear the we just used our sport rigs with a big PC. We packed without bag or slider.
I had a 220' Pegasus with a white top skin and rainbow bottom. Pictures from the tower showed three complete cells inverted.
I stopped the turn with rear riser and attemped a mid air transfer to my round reserve but the reserve diaper never opened and I landed the main as it was and walked away.
Go figure, but the parachute basically had a half twist in it and wasnt descending that fast. I remember the reserve trailing straight behind me, not above me as it would have with high ROD.

By the way, just so you know, line over mals were unheard of before pro packing. It is most definitely a packing error.