DOCsa

The best what to get a sponsor ?¿? what the on earth would that be ?¿?

:S what would be the best way to get a sponsor if you only have 50 jumps and your 2-way partner has 72 jumps ??? please help as we have 2 months till champs and need the practice

Got any realtives or close friends with very good business ties or shitloads of money? If not, tough luck...:| Skydiving is not very attractive to sponsors as it is not exactly a spectator sport. Getting sponsors is more or less among the more impossible things in skydiving unless you're really good/widely recognized or you have the proper connections.

One answer. You don't. ;)

I'm gonna assume your college students cuz most people competing in two-way are gonna be out for collegiates. Try going to your college skydiving club. If there isn't one, your athletics department. Maybe you'll get lucky enough to dupe them out of some money or a flag to put up outside your tent. But when it comes to getting full sponsorship, sorry pal, you have to have hundreds or thousands of jumps and be competing at some pretty hardcore stuff. Don't count on getting that for a few years or more. B|

Skydiving isn't a race to get more jumps, to be sponsored, or even to compete. Take your time, it's gonna take many, many years of hard work to get to a highly reputable level of flying, and even then, you won't be satisfied. Greatness isn't being sponsored or being on a hot team. It's about feeling good about what you do, for the sake of doing it, and finding joy in helping others improve as you do. Sponsorship and those other details are just added bonuses that will come much later, don't dwell on them or depend on them. Years down the road, if they want you, they'll find you.

Just my $.02 B|

Good luck to you guys!! ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Wow, such negative responses.

Think outside the box. Everyone's right when they say you probably won't get gear sponsors or anything from the skydiving "industry".

However, why not go to some hometown businesses or the like and ask them?

You never know what you'll get unless you ask. Be prepared, however, to offer something in return.

That being said, there are several books out there on how to put together a good sponsorship request package.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

A sponsorship is a two way street - a person or company provides you with money/gear/facilities and you turn give something back to them. Most of the sponsorships within skydiving are from within the skydiving - performance designs sponsors a highly recognized team. The team in turn says good things about pd and displays the pd logo.

Figure out something that you have to offer a company, something that would make it attractive for them to sponsor you. Be creative.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I cant imagine anyone ( a big corporation) sponsoring someone with 50-1200 jumps, but heres an idea for you.

I dont know the color your canopy if, but try to link it with a local to your area, business.

For example, if a towing service has their trucks painted blue and yellow and thats your canopy, ask tghe guy if he would sponsor you to a "resonable sum" and try to get his company's name in the paper...no matter how as long as its decent.

You might have to try several companies...dont be discouraged...it does work., but with only 100 jumps, it may be harder to bring it about.

When you get more jumps, walk through the aupermarket, and list all the products with "you colors" and write to them. Make it a business letter, preferably on a nice letterhead(name of team or whatever)profesionally worded, no spelling mistakes, and hopefully it may click

Good luck

Bill Cole D-41

You in college? Get a college grant. Then spend it on skydiving. Sew a college patch on your jumpsuit. Get a few friends to do the same.

Then start a collegiate skydiving club. Should be a little cash floating around the university for that.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

However, why not go to some hometown businesses or the like and ask them?

ACK!! :S I thought you meant from skydiving companies!! OOPS!! :D My apologies for my ignorance. :P

Anyway, in this case I agree with BB, check out your local businesses. (If you're from a small town, this helps soooooo much more....;)) If you have any family that are involved with local stuff, call them. They might be able to help you out a little.

Good luck guys!! B| Let us know how it goes!!

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

>what would be the best way to get a sponsor if you only have 50
> jumps and your 2-way partner has 72 jumps ?

1. Decide what you have to offer. Companies will give you money only if you will make them money; they're not dumb. Is either of you a radio personality, or a frequent contributor to the local paper? Do either of you appear in a lot of magazines (i.e. a skydiving newspaper, parachutist, etc?) If so, you could claim that your picture or voice gets to X people a day, and you will get their message out. Are you on a demo team that regularly does large events, where many people will see a logo on your canopy? (Unlikely at your level.) You can sell it that way.

2. Decide which sort of company you want to approach. A skydiving gear company? Unlikely. If they sponsor Airspeed, they will likely get their rig on the cover of Parachutist. If they sponsor you, they probably won't. Perhaps a local company? A local sporting goods store, perhaps, might be willing to sponsor you at a low level.

3. Expect to work at it. It might involve demos to get their name out there, or accepting a $50 sponsorship and then doing everything you can to publicize this particular company. Next year you could see $200. You may even have to _spend_ money; to get a logo put on a canopy is not a cheap proposition.

Many skydivers figure sponsorship is all about getting money for nothing and jumps for free. It's not. It's work, like anything else is. You may well be better off getting a job that pays well; getting a 'job' with a sponsor might leave you with less money (and time) in the long run, unless you can pull off a gold medal in Nationals your first time out.

from an inside the industry point-of-view, sponsorships in our small market regardless of level are quite unique.

Because we have a small population of skydivers, sponsorships run rampant in our industry. Seems like every other person on the DZ "knows a guy" at XXX Company and can get you a deal on YYY for ZZZ or if you have either been around long enough and visible enough OR if you are talented enough you can get just about anything you want.

Many times over I have been listening to my clients rail about how they dumped a chunk of money/product into a team or a indivual as a sponsor and got little or nothing in return. Many times teams put together decent sponsorship packages that they present to companies asking for some level of sponsorship. They boast their talents, jump numbers, previous competitions, ratings and previous teams... that is all fine and good except they usually don't follow through with what they started.

I have been approached by countless teams and individuals about sponsorship for various entities over the years. They come on strong in the beginning and cool off a little bit while training for nationals or worlds or some other competition or event and even though they promise to keep the team going and continue training after their specified competiton final they dissappear only to reappear with another team the next spring.

What advantage do the sponsors get in that? What is your goal and how much are you willing to give by getting a sponsorship deal?

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

WOW my Booming discussion , well thanx all for you reply's

nope sorry not a student anymore but the salary i'm getting i think it wa better to be a student

but i'm going to try every option in the forum and try again and again until i get it right

[Amen to that!!!]

I went to the bank and got a loan for new furniture. Then I spent it on some used student rigs, and just made my payments out of the rent I generated... More than paid for itself in the first year. In fact, I chopped my rental fees each year for the second and third years - didn't think I needed the money. Helps if you're a rigger so you can maintain the equipment yourself rather than paying something. Also, gear was probably cheaper back then...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

:S what would be the best way to get a sponsor if you only have 50 jumps and your 2-way partner has 72 jumps ??? please help as we have 2 months till champs and need the practice

I once had a local business pay me to jump a canopy with their name on it at the local DZ. I jumped it for about a year. It wasn't full sponsorship, but it helped and they received a lot of notice from it.

Pay no attention to those who say it can't be done because there is a way if you can just find it. A local bank put an employee's picture (in freefall) on a billboard. I'll bet he got some jumps for that!!

Ed