dgskydive

What makes you a freeflyer?

"Someone finally said it." -from Jerry McGuire

I think that Jerry got fired the next day.

No Really, just kidding. Thanks for helping me out. What is all of this bullcrap? Just get out there and have fun. The only person who can decide whether you are a freeflyer or not is YOURSELF.

Thanks bella. :)

First of all, I didn't read the whole thread so if someone had something awesome to say, sorry I missed it. ;)

Anyway, damn dude, that's a good question!! :S I wish I could answer it...

I guess the idea of being a freeflyer is to be able to fly on every surface of your body. (Yes, bellyflying is still freeflying....:o;)) However, even if a person can just sitfly, it's still a freefly dive. So this becomes a very difficult question due to this very fact.

IMHO, here's how you figure it out.

If you go out to the dz wearing a baggy freefly suit, have hair color other than your natural tone (like purple), listen to techno like it's religion, have lots of tattoos and/or piercings, never dirt dive, never plan the exit till 10 grand, and say "DUDE THAT WAS AWESOME" if you just hovered in front of them for 9000 ft, then you're a freeflyer. ;)

Just my $.99 super value meal :P

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

FreeFlyer = Being able to hold a sit or head down position and intentionally docking another skydiver in freefall.

Until then = FreeFlailer:ph34r:

The funny thing is the AFF students I have gratuated in the last few years have all gone straight to what they call FreeFlying.
But whats really funny is sometimes after seeing them do a couple hundred FF jumps and then getting to do a FreeFly jump with them, I have found that they cant even hold a head down and mostly just start with a head down on the beginning of the jump and cork, then just go into a sit for the rest of the skydive......
What they need to get better is coaching from a FreeFlyer to become one.....
With being in the sport long before it was called FreeFlying, it was just called having alot of fun and going REALLY F**KING FAST:ph34r:

Just my .02

Nailed it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

FreeFlyer = Being able to hold a sit or head down position and intentionally docking another skydiver in freefall.

Until then = FreeFlailer:ph34r:

The funny thing is the AFF students I have gratuated in the last few years have all gone straight to what they call FreeFlying.
But whats really funny is sometimes after seeing them do a couple hundred FF jumps and then getting to do a FreeFly jump with them, I have found that they cant even hold a head down and mostly just start with a head down on the beginning of the jump and cork, then just go into a sit for the rest of the skydive......
What they need to get better is coaching from a FreeFlyer to become one.....
With being in the sport long before it was called FreeFlying, it was just called having alot of fun and going REALLY F**KING FAST:ph34r:

Just my .02

Nailed it.

OH YEAH, NAILED IT. BRAVO. ;)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

If you go out to the dz wearing a baggy freefly suit, have hair color other than your natural tone (like purple), listen to techno like it's religion, have lots of tattoos and/or piercings, never dirt dive, never plan the exit till 10 grand, and say "DUDE THAT WAS AWESOME" if you just hovered in front of them for 9000 ft, then you're a freeflyer.

Not fair there. I don't consider myself a freeflyer and I do a bunch of those things and some you didn't list.:D
Dom

rw-flyers got the rw-suits and free flyers got their cool outfits..:P

Ahem... Are you suggesting that grippers aren't the coolest part of a suit? ;)

I think of "freeflying" as a discipline. There is a lot to learn in any discipline of skydiving. You shouldn't pick nits about what you call someone based on what stage of the learning process they're in.

I'd say you're a freeflyer, but in these cases you aren't necessarily more "free" than the rw'er. All I'm trying to say. It's 1 position vs multiple positions

Ive never seen an RW guy do a flip or cartwheel in his/her routine, but I have seen plenty of freeflyers do them while staying in a sit the whole dive.

You haven't been around long, then. Backflips as part of RW transitions go back to the '70s. Don't see them in "official" competitions any more, but we had them in a 10-way scrambles last fall.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.