CrazyDave

UK WIND TUNNEL!

;)

we are going to get a wind tunnel in the Uk!!!!!!!!

check out this off of:- http://www.hepherdixon.co.uk/site/newsroom_detail.asp?NR_ID=36&NR_Current=1

Indoor skydiving facility at Xscape puts in for planning permission in Milton Keynes - 30 June 2003

SkyVenture UK has today submitted a planning application for the UK’s first indoor skydiving facility.

The application was submitted by consultants Hepher Dixon following consultation with Milton Keynes Council and other appropriate bodies.

The iconic design has been produced by the World reknowned architects HOK sport who were responsible for the main stadium at the Sydney Olympic Games and a host of other well known facilities.are currently the architects for the National Stadium at Wembley and the redevelopment of Royal Ascot Racecourse.

SkyVenture is a vertical wind tunnel that allows anyone to experience the thrill of freefall in a completely safe environment any day of the year in spite of the UK weather.

The first SkyVenture tunnel has been operating safely in Orlando, Florida for the past 5 years and introduced thousands of people to the fun of body flying. The experience is so realistic to skydiving that there are almost no every competitive skydiving teams usesthat train without a wind tunnel to hone its performance. tunnel time.

this is amazing i only just heard it... finally we will get one, this means that we can be bouncing around in the tunnel all winter! yey

anyone else heard about this?

The following was posted on uk.rec.skydiving (28/10/2003) on behalf of Simon Ward:

Last time I wrote, you may recall we required ~£1m to go to the next stage.

At this time we are now at the point of requiring just under £700k with a number of investors saying the timescale was too short. Therefore we have extended the offer to Friday 19th December. We are also in talks with a number of possible large investors.

So far we have brought in £1.6m of funding (plus lease and loans) and we are confident of the plan and appetite for the business, so do join as we bring in the final amount.

Progress at the business end continues and we have developed further support from potential major customers. Importantly, we can also see the next two tunnels and are keen to move ahead in order to make this happen.

I will write in the near future to keep you fully informed of progress, in the meantime please do tell friends and fellow investors that they still
have the opportunity to invest.

Do write or call should you require further information, documentation or a presentation on the business.

Kind regards,

Simon

PS One final request, information of your intentions is exceedingly helpful so please do let me know!

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I saw the busniness plan but wasn't convinced enough to put any money in. The return vs risk profile was quite low plus its seemed difficult to get your money out if you wanted it.

I would still like to know is construction has started. I heard there were delays with the planning..... but like I say its all just rumour and my info could be all horseshit.

Would be great to get something off the ground in the UK. The nearest otherwise is Paris which is very expensive. Cheaper to fly to the States for a weekend if you wanted to spend more than 20minutes.

they have 700k and are looking for the rest now. investments can be made up till mid december now I think.

i was thinking of investing but thought better of it. it was more of an 'emotional' investment rather than a sound financial one. I think return would be minimal and very long term. better off putting your money into the FTSE for 3 years, but thats only MO:)

Good to see the thread....
Most of the information posted is correct here.
Full business and financial details can be found on the website - www.skyventure.co.uk
The situation is this;
- A £3.9m project for the first tunnel
- Planning permission at Milton Keynes granted
- Multi tunnels planned
- Next two already in identified
- Working closely with Xscape
- All but £700k has been found
- We have a special Skydiver's plan called the Founder Members' Club (FMC) that allows for investments between £1k and £5k and that offer special benefits (see website)
- We plan to be ready about 8 months after the £700k is raised
- The current Round 2 fundraising cash will NOT be touched untill the £700k is all in
- It's a seriously tough market to raise money in!

I'm always happy to answer questions directly

Help make it happen - GET INVOLVED!!
[email protected]

Last post reminds me to add;

- it will be an EIS investment which means most UK taxpayers get 20p of the £ back (in the next tax year as a cheque from Inland Revenue) and pay no Capital Gains Tax (CGT) after three years
- compound rteturn is actually very good 33-38% is forecast

Interesting times for the UK with some news about a rival tunnel just picked up from uk.rec.skydiving. I've been hearing rumours about this tunnel for years!

PRESS RELEASE - Extreme Bodyflight

Extreme Creations Ltd have today unveiled its plan to open the worlds
largest skydiving wind tunnel in Bedford UK. A former MOD testing site
is currently undergoing a major renovation to create a world leading
centre for skydiver and recreational use.

With a diameter of 16ft and creating wind speeds capable of sustaining
both flat and free-flight, the tunnel which is planned to open mid
2004 will be second to none.

Although the Bedford VST (Vertical Spinning Tunnel) has existed since
1955 it has never been used for bodyflight. Planning permission has
been granted for the project after several months research and
development. By utilising an existing facility Extreme Creations will
be able to offer an outstanding flight experience and incredible value
for money.

The tunnel will be the first of its kind in the UK and will host state
of the art training facilities and recreational areas staffed by
highly a skilled tuition team.

Visit www.extremebodyflight.co.uk for details and updates as the
project progresses.

As I asked on uk.rec.skydiving, it appears to be using one big impeller; I thought modern wind tunnels favoured several smaller blades for versatility and cleaner, upto-the-edge column of air?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Good to see the thread....
Most of the information posted is correct here.
Full business and financial details can be found on the website - www.skyventure.co.uk
The situation is this;
- A £3.9m project for the first tunnel
- Planning permission at Milton Keynes granted
- Multi tunnels planned
- Next two already in identified
- Working closely with Xscape
- All but £700k has been found
- We have a special Skydiver's plan called the Founder Members' Club (FMC) that allows for investments between £1k and £5k and that offer special benefits (see website)
- We plan to be ready about 8 months after the £700k is raised
- The current Round 2 fundraising cash will NOT be touched untill the £700k is all in
- It's a seriously tough market to raise money in!

I'm always happy to answer questions directly

Help make it happen - GET INVOLVED!!
[email protected]

well i havent heard about it before... and thought that it was a pretty big thing.

im definatly gonna go there if it ever gets done!

Posted From:
SkyVenture UK suffers another delay...

Although reportedly "Under Construction" at the Skyventure.com website, the UK SkyVenture construction will be delayed once again.

Although talks of purchasing a SkyVenture facility began in late 2002
early 2003, there has been no finalization of construction plans at this time.
There has been a delay in acquiring the needed funds for this project even though they have opened the investing to all UK Skydivers and have a wide base of initial investors, they are still unable to go forth with this project.

Nearby in Bedford, a former MOD spin tunnel is getting a major mechanical overhaul and will be operational to the public and skydivers in 2004. This 16ft tunnel will certainly be unique and maybe giving SkyVenture UK a run for it's money before either of them are even complete! We have not confirmed yet wether the SkyVenture UK project will be completed, but since SkyVenture deposits are non-refundable, I think they just might be stuck with one.

There is an update on the aforementioned website about the Skyventure wind tunnel

------------

Update: 1/24/04 We just received an email from Simon Ward. They are expecting to stay on target and complete the purchase within the next 3 months. All of their contracts are now in place along side the planning permission. From our experience with the building of other SkyVentures, they should be open by early 2005 possibly even late 2004.

------------

I have no idea which will ultimately be the most successful tunnel of the two - but I am guessing that the Skyventure tunnel at Xscape will pick up a tremendous amount of "off the street" traffic which is exactly what is required to make the thing run at a profit. Last time I was at Skyventure Florida - I was told that something like 70-80% of their revenue came from off the street. I'm not convinced that the Bedford tunnel will have this advantage.

I have not been involved with construction projects myself, but I have a friend who has a business sited on several large retail parks round the UK - and he reckons he gets very cheap electricity. I am guessing that the Skyventure tunnel might benefit from this if it buys units along with Xscape.

Whichever opens first - I can't wait!

Woooooo Woooooo!!!!

Mark .. in my opinion they are just absolutely amazing. Aside from being a great place to learn a variety of freefall skills - they are just blindingly good fun. Ofcourse, jumping outta plane is pretty damn surreal. I can't help but smile before each exit as I think to myself "wow" - but in a different sort of way - using the tunnel is just as wacky. You're in a room and you're flying for god's sake!!!

Good to see plenty of Wind Tunnel talk and speculation. We just had a good time at the BPA AGM with lots of interest in the project.

Last time I posted, we required £700k of the £3.9m (not cheap to get a wind tunnel into profit), this is now closer to £600k with plenty of further interest. The FMC (Founder Members' Club) has attracted interest and we have a good number of members.

If you really want to see it happen quick, less talk and more action from those who can afford to get involved (FMC starts at £1k and you become a shareholder), it won't be built by people watching from the sidelines!!

See www.skyventure.co.uk and feel free to e-mail me anytime for a direct answer and further information - so much better than rumour!

Help make it happen, Sward