drakeshelby

How often do you get scared skydiving?

How often do you get scared sky diving?

Never....And SKYDIVING is one word.

If you know the risks...And how to reduce them. and accept the fact you may die anyway..And really accept that.

There is no fear.

Kind of rough on him aren't you? I was fairly nervous for the first 10-20 jumps. I had done 3 tandems and alot of tunnel time before starting though, so maybe not quite as scared as others could be.

PcCoder.net

Kind of rough on him aren't you?

No.

I was fairly nervous for the first 10-20 jumps. I had done 3 tandems and alot of tunnel time before starting though, so maybe not quite as scared as others could be.

And thats you. I was not.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I was fairly nervous for the first 10-20 jumps.

And thats you. I was not.

If you were not nervous on your first jumps Ron, then I would be nervous about you.
It is perfectly normal to be nervous on your 1st jumps = abnormal not to be nervous.

I was fairly nervous for the first 10-20 jumps. I had done 3 tandems and alot of tunnel time before starting though, so maybe not quite as scared as others could be.

Well, I guess Im brain dead...Cause I don't lie.

OR...It could be I have done this 2,500 more times than you, and I know what I am doing.

So am I lying, brain dead, or just more experienced?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If you were not nervous on your first jumps Ron, then I would be nervous about you.
It is perfectly normal to be nervous on your 1st jumps = abnormal not to be nervous.

I was not...And it did bother the guys at the DZ.

I was going to do it anyway, I trained like hell, other had done it before me and lived. So I had no fear of dying. I knew I could...But like I said I was going anyway.

My first BASE was the same way..My first Solo in a plane the same way.

It takes a EVENT outside of what I EXPECT to scare me.

A "normal" skydive never did.

Low pulls...Yes.
Mals...Yes.
Some jackass in freefall 10 feet from my canopy...Yes.
Some jackass cutting me off on final...Yes.

Regular skydive...No.

Well, I guess Im brain dead...Cause I don't lie.

OR...It could be I have done this 2,500 more times than you, and I know what I am doing.

So am I lying, brain dead, or just more experienced?

If you were brain dead you might have trouble typing. :)

PcCoder.net

I always tend to get nervous when the plane looses an engine right after take-off, (and it was a dog with two). Especially with nice tall trees everywhere but behind you. Guaranteed to get some sort of pucker going.

Fear is defined in one dictionary as a feeling of agitation, anxiety caused by presence or immenence of danger, a feeling of disquiet or apprehension, reverence or awe.

So at no time during a "routine" skydive do you feel these things? At no time during a "normal" skydive do you go through all possible scenarios and feel anything about them?

I don't care how many times I do this, I don't want to lose the "fear" that keeps me on my toes. I don't want to forget that even on my 10,000th jump that there is a very real presence of danger. That normal and problem are seperated only by the blink of an eye in our sport.

With all due respect to your experience and jump numbers and expertise. Peace.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

I don't get scared while I'm skydiving. Any apprehension that I feel tends to happen when I am away from the DZ and have time to really think about what I do. At the DZ I just do.
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

If you were brain dead you might have trouble typing

Have you ever read my posts? I spell like shit...That would explain it.

I just thought your original response to the original post was kind of harsh, like the person posting it had some sort of "problem" that you were "above". Seemed a bit snooty.

Nope, just fact....A normal skydive does not scare me.....Never did..But that ME, not everyone....Plus, several folks can't tell the difference between fear and other strong emotions.

I am a very harsh person. I tell it as I see it....This sport is very harsh....Life is very harsh.

I don't intend to slam people...I just say what I think.

Fear is defined in one dictionary as a feeling of agitation, anxiety caused by presence or immenence of danger, a feeling of disquiet or apprehension, reverence or awe.

So at no time during a "routine" skydive do you feel these things? At no time during a "normal" skydive do you go through all possible scenarios and feel anything about them?

Nope.

Lets look at it.

a feeling of agitation

I don't get agitated before a skydive.....I have a plan, and know the risks..and have accepted them. I know I might die on any jump...Im ok with that. I have no kids, and my parents will have gobs of money from my insurance to pay off any debts I might have.

anxiety caused by presence or immenence of danger

Why would I get anxious??? I have done this 3,000 times. Its like when you are 16 and your Dad let you take the car to the store to get milk...you were happy as can be. You cranked up the radio and "cruzed" to the store. Now you go...DAMN! Im out of milk and I *have* to drive to the store. Its not fun anymore....Its the same event..But now it's not exciting. The reason? You have done it a bunch, and its no longer new to you. Same thing for me. After over 3,000 jumps a normal boggie jump, is down right boring.

So no, I don't get scared...I never felt fear on a regular jump. I knew the risks, but I also knew that training could save me...So I trained like hell and was not afraid.

I don't care how many times I do this, I don't want to lose the "fear" that keeps me on my toes. I don't want to forget that even on my 10,000th jump that there is a very real presence of danger. That normal and problem are seperated only by the blink of an eye in our sport.

But lest be honest...you don't know how you will be in another 2,500 jumps. That eveything you have done in this sport X4. You have no idea what you will think of feel then..Chances are you will never even get that many jumps. USPA has only given out 1148 Double Diamond Wings in over 40 years. What makes you think you will get a pair?

And you can be aware of the dangers and not be afraid of them.

Some guy here has a great sig line...

If you have time to panic...You have time to do something more productive

You don't have to be afraid of the sport to respect it.

Ron, just read your post and you had me laughing. The spelling like shit thing :ph34r: Dude, the harsh remark wasn't about being scared, it was about slamming the original post's spelling of SKYDIVING vs SKY DIVING. Have a good one, if you're jumping today you are lucky. I am at home with the kids.

PcCoder.net

yup!!! never been to a boggie jump.

worst kind of jump to ever be on....

Or I could just REALLY suck at spelling....

Take your pick;)

The only time I get scared about skydiving is if I know someone on the plane is a threat to everyone else on it. But if they're not there, or I don't know them, I'm not scared.

Night jumps terrify me though. Guess that's why I even do road trips for them. :P
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Oh come on,
If you don't get scared from time to time, either you're just not paying attention or you're not pushing your limits. Everyone gets scared, even those with 10s of thousands of jumps. Why even driving down the freeway if someone cuts you off of you pass someone and barely make it, you get that surge of adrenaline.
Adrenaline is simply the body's chemical response to fight or flight which is stimulated by frear. You may identify it more as fun, but it's still fear! Get real, Dude, you're not so hard and emotionless, even with 3000 jumps, which is just a drop in the bucket! ;)

My first BASE was the same way..My first Solo in a plane the same way.

It takes a EVENT outside of what I EXPECT to scare me.

A "normal" skydive never did.

Low pulls...Yes.
Mals...Yes.
Some jackass in freefall 10 feet from my canopy...Yes.
Some jackass cutting me off on final...Yes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ron,
OK.....doesn't the possibility that any of these things could happen on any given skydive create some apprehension? I would think so. I believe many people on this thread are talking about the same thing, but some are calling it "fear".....others not.
---------------------
Skydiving is an extreme sport like Class V white-water kayaking; skiing the double-black diamond runs; deep sea scuba diving; or rock/ice climbing. To survive in extreme sports requires athleticism, coordination, judgement, knowledge, and courage. Someone once said, "There can be no courage if there is no fear." I agree.
Dave

Can't say that i've ever been scared skydiving yet. That doesn't mean that it won't happen, just hasn't happened yet. Probably haven't been jumping long enough to get scared yet. I know the risk involved, if it happens, it happens, nothing to dwell on.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

If you don't get scared from time to time, either you're just not paying attention or you're not pushing your limits

Maybe Im not pushing my limits. I don't do stupid things just to get a fear high.

Why even driving down the freeway if someone cuts you off of you pass someone and barely make it, you get that surge of adrenaline.

Ok red my posts again...you clearly have not. I said on a noraml skydive....Read before you post.

Get real, Dude, you're not so hard and emotionless, even with 3000 jumps, which is just a drop in the bucket!

You don't know me...so you can't really say anything about me now can you?

Now Ron, don't tell me you aren't afraid of fucking up either?!

Im not afraid of fucking up...If you are then maybe you should quit the sport.

I know I CAN fuck up..But I am not AFRAID I'll fuck up...those are two very different things.

I can easily die doing this, and I know that.

However I take as many steps as I can to not put myself into dangerous situations.

I don't do bigways...They are dangerous, and not that fun. I do mainly 4 and 8way, I don't go to boogies. I avoid jumping with folks I think are dangerous...I don't do freefly, don't fly a wingsuit.

I jump the same type and size of canopy for the last 2,000 jumps. (Stiletto 107)

I pull higher than 2 grand.

So, nope...Im not afraid of fucking up..I know I CAN...But knowing I can, and even knowing it could kill me does not mean Im afraid of it.

Again..you don't know me.

I was pretty apprehensive the first time I flew my 'new' (not any more!) canopy. Down from 210 F1-11 to a 170 ZP - needlessly as it is a Spectre and truly sweetB| - stand up first time.

Mostly worry in the plane when doing anything bigger than 8-way about messing it up for the others on the jump:S but fine as soon as in the air!B|;)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.