Michele

Um, Tunnel Time next Thursday

Bring a smile and an attitude for FUN! I did my first round of tunnel time earlier this month down in Orlando and I must say it was a blast. My coach would have me do things that challenged me and made me laugh out loud. It is really weird at first- I am a lightweight and I went flying up to the top when I first got in! Good luck and let us all know what you think after you do it.
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

Hi, Amanda! I will bring a good attitude...I'm just worried that I am so bad that I will crash into walls for 15 minutes...but I'll be smiling anyway.

YAY Sparky is going to be with me. I know I will be the evening's entertainment (for everyone!), but at least Sparky will be there to show me how it's done. Whoop!

I will use that which the Tunnel folk recommend, be it knee pads, earplugs, and/or whatever. I have my protec, so that should be all right, and I'll tuck all my hair up and in very securely, I promise. I don't wear jewelry except on special occasions, so there won't be any of that to be concerned with, and my pockets will be empty.

Good advise about the clothing. I think two turtle necks, my jeans, and my jumpsuit will be all right, and I'll wear gloves. I'll moisterize my face, my hands, and my nose - although I don't have dry sinus problems, I've never done this kind of time, so will take precautions. I will wear chapstick, too, because my lips have been known to peel right off after a day of skydiving. LOL...

Thanks for all the advice and support - I think this will be a great experience, and I will learn a ton.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Michele

You'll love it, I was in there just a little while ago and it proves one never forgets how to fly their body. You'll do fine, but I suggest a few Advil before hand to keep everything loose. You know that advise is valid coming from me:)

Fly angel and Albatross covered most of the important parts. The tunnel has loaner knee pads they give you ear plugs. Your helmet is fine and you are familiar with it. But you will wear it the whole time you are inside ( something we don't do as skydivers ) so comfort is paramount. Borrowing or demoing something more comfy is an option. If you use your protec helmet bring a turtle neck shirt or sweater. Not so much for flight but for the waiting period in the atrium. Its not exactly wind tunnel speeds but it is wind tunnel temprature and you are sitting on your butt when you are not flying. You get fifteen personal minutes but you could be in there for an hour or more depending on the size of your group. We were stuck in there for 2 hours no pee brake. Dress warm but stay flexible under your booty suit. I don't recommend tight jeans under your suit, looser ones are OK, or better yet comfy sweats. This would be a good opportunity to become more accustomed to your Bev suit booties if you haven't already.
Don't worry about crashing too much, although the potential for hard strikes is always there you are not a spaztic flailer. And you won't be trying to turn a ton of points around your coach at least not at first. At first you will demonstrate to the guards and coaches smooth mellow stable flight and control with small movements. Then on to whatever your coach has in mind. Its definitely not frog in a blender.

Your biggest problems will be staying relaxed and not get frustrated when performance fades in your second minute of tunnel flying due to exhaustion. But keep in mind it happens to EVERYBODY who doesn't regularly fly their body for more than sixty seconds at a time ( get it?). Just like sky flying you must stay relaxed in tunnel flying.

You will learn a lot without all that bothersome pulling stable and packing. Knowing ahead of time that there will be humbling ( not just you, but everybody) you can do nothing more that sit back and really enjoy it.

Just bring a blank tape, they'll record it for you no charge, or $5 will get you a blank tape.

It desn't seem to matter how much experience you have when you first get in there, you'll find all of the things you need to fix

Your probably at an advantage, you haven't developed all the bad habits the more experienced people have.
Look at it as a learning/FUN experience, that's what life is meant to be ;):$

HAVE A LOT OF FUN.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

hola chica-

you're gonna have FUN. :) what helmet do you wear in freefall? if you wear a protec in the air, wear a protec in the tunnel. the whole thing is about freefall simulation. wear the jumpsuit you wear in freefall. if you wear a different helmet or different jumpsuit, then you're adding variables which will take away from the learning.

also, regarding knee pads, if your instructor asks you to wear knee pads, wear knee pads. the skyventure instructors are there for a reason - that's to help keep you safe. alot of people feel they are too "cool" or whatever to wear knee pads or earplugs. if you don't wear the earplugs, you won't be able to hear shit when you get out. why fuck up your hearing?

anyway, listen to the skyventure instructors first and foremost. all the advice is great, but bottom line it's up to the instructor there to help you and they won't steer you wrong.

just remember to smile for the video too.

xoxo,
arlo

You guys are great.

Whatever they say to do, I will do. And whatever they say to NOT do, I'll work really hard on that, too. I've been told tracking out the door is a really bad idea, too. :$;)

On the last freefall video I have, I noticed two BIG problems...one, I'm backsliding, and two, I'm as stiff as a board (thus the backsliding, the odd turn, et cetera). The only real thing that I want to accomplish with this 15 minutes is a) relax, get floppy, and stop fighting the wind, and b) the backsliding. I dunno if 15 minutes is enough for that, but it may make a dent. Also some fall rate control, which is why I think I'm stiff, as well as why I backslide....but I will have someone to do the diagnosing, so I won't worry about it too much; they can tell me why....

Arlo, I will wear my protec...and my regular jumpsuit. I promise. And I'll bring a video so I can watch how bad I really am (no illusions to burst there...I already know how bad I am. LOLOL!!!)

I'm not scared, exactly, just more like apprehensive. It's an unknown, and for those of you who know me, you know I don't like the unknown too much. But I'll be fine, and I'll learn a ton, and I suspect I'll have fun, too, so that's all right, you know?

Thanks for all the stories, and all the suggestions and reassurance. Isn't it amazing a chickenpoop like me can even skydive? LOLOL!!!!

Ciels-
Michele

The most wonderful thing about skyventure is the walls. You won't backslide because you can't backslide in there. Your feet will bump the wall, you'll stick em out farther, and thats it. The big thing is remembering the body position that works in the tunnel so you can use it in freefall.

Dave

I might be coming out on Thursday to do some more training.

Who are you going to get coaching from?

Incidentally my suggestion for your first time in the tunnel is to get there somewhat early so that you aren't rushed and have time to get everything together, talk to your coach, get the video tape to the control room, and stretch.

Oh, and the camera is located at the top of the control room window looking down - if you want to see yourself stay under it ;)

Hipgnosis

I've asked for Dan BC, but I don't know - haven't heard if it's confirmed.

I do plan on getting there about 3:30ish - 2 hours ahead of my time. I figure that way, I'll have all the time in the world to see how it works, and watch others go through it....

AS for "staying" somewhere specific, I hope that I get that at the last few minutes. no hope before hand....but it's all good....I'll learn lots anyway.

If you're there, make sure you say hi, and spend a minute or two laughing at me. It's gonna be free entertainment, so why not enjoy it?:D

Ciels-
Michele

Michele lives fairly close to Perris. A lot easier trip for her to drive there instead of Texas.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I used helmet, goggles, jumpsuit, kneepads and earplugs.

What to expect? An unhealthy addiction to the crackhouse. Say goodbye to your wallet!

It's the "Crack-Pipe", and add to the list GLOVES!! It's DAMN cold in the tunnel right now. Glove liners would be appropriate too (you can pick a good thin set up at Sports Chalet). B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

You're going to have fun Michele and I'm envious. I haven't been in the tunnel myself, but I did go up to the observer deck and watched a class of whuffo tourists trying it out. They didn't do too badly either, so you're gonna do just great.

And if you don't think you're such a good flyer, well maybe you'll learn a thing or two that will surprise us all when you get back up in the big sky. Enjoy.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

And if you don't think you're such a good flyer, well maybe you'll learn a thing or two that will surprise us all when you get back up in the big sky. Enjoy.

And that, my friend, is the grand plan.

Wheeeeeee, just two more days. Yessir, how cool will this be???

Ciels-
Michele