bluewaterstream

worth the hassle?

I plan on making a few jumps at Skydance in Davis, CA on March 19th and/or 20th. After reading about all of the crap some of you have been through at various airports, I'm beginning to question whether or not it's even worth bringing my own rig(w/ an AAD) for just 3 or 4 jumps. I would check it in as a carry-on and bring all of the necessary paper work from the TSA, USPA, Airline & AAD docs. What do you think?

Just in case, does anyone know what kind of rental rigs Skydance has and how much they charge for them?

~ John

From what I remember the price for renting gear through "action air" shop was 20 bucks a jump... The one I got was very nice with an infinity container and a near new sabre 2 150...
So yes I would say they have nice gear! You might want to PM "rigging65" as he is the manager at action air. I am sure he can answer all your questions about rentals!

As far as taking your rig on commercial planes it's a bit of a lottery. I never had any problems but that really depends on the mood of the TSA guy/girl.
and if you are tan that doesn't help either :D:D:D

"We see the world just the way we are...

I had no problems flying into and out of the DC area in January with my (cypres-equipped) rig in a carry-on bag. I checked the rest of my skydiving stuff. At the x-ray machine I was prepared to argue my case, but I might as well have been carrying a bag full of underwear. Absolutely no delay, questioning, or inspection at either end. Some people have had different experiences, but it's not all bad.

Dave

Action Air has mostly Infinity with PD canopies. Good stuff.

"rigging65" as he is the manager at action air. I am sure he can answer all your questions about rentals!

Actualy he's moved on to bigger and better things. Gonna be an EMT.

I think [email protected] will get you the information you need. And you can look at www.skydance.net
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I would think of taking my own rig for the following benefits:
* comfort. I didn't even know legstraps could be comfortable under canopy until I got my rig.
* safety. I know who packs and maintains my gear, and what its state of maintenance is. I also know where the handles are. (OK, I have only 4 jumps on my new rig, but as I get more this will become more true.) And I know how the canopy flies, which I would find comforting at 3k over a strange DZ.
* availability. I don't need to know how many rental rigs they have where I'm going, which canopy (and possibly harness) sizes they have, which rigs might be out for repacks, or how early I need to be there to ensure I get one.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

"rigging65" as he is the manager at action air. I am sure he can answer all your questions about rentals!

***Actualy he's moved on to bigger and better things. Gonna be an EMT

Oooops my bad... at least he was not so long ago:P

"We see the world just the way we are...

John,
I fly in and out of DIA alot, with my gear. I've carried on and checked it both, and never had a problem. Take your gear if only because of your low jump numbers. You don't want to have too many "first" happening on one skydive. You'll be on different gear, a different DZ, and landing at a different field elevation.
Just allow yourself enough time to check in, so the screeners can look your gear over. Put it in one of those suitcases with wheels, and it's easy to carry around the airport.
Have fun and let us know if you make it through the screener okay.
Mar
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I just flew out of LAX a week and a half ago, checking my rig and had no problem. I have flown with my rig (checked) over 20 times and have never had a problem except in the beginning when I had my helmet in my gear bag and they (the airline) squished it and cracked the sh!t out of it. They wouldn't reimburse me because it was not in a hard case bag. Other than that, I've had not problems with the TSA or anyone.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

...when I had my helmet in my gear bag and they (the airline) squished it and cracked the sh!t out of it. They wouldn't reimburse me because it was not in a hard case bag.

Speaking of helmets, I have a Protec with a ProDytter attached to it and I plan on carrying that onto the plane too - do you think the ProDytter will freak them out?

Speaking of helmets, I have a Protec with a ProDytter attached to it and I plan on carrying that onto the plane too - do you think the ProDytter will freak them out?

Most people will not know what it is. Turn it off, no reason to use up the battery life. Relax, you're getting all stressed out. This is a walk through the park traveling with gear.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

ust went from laguardia to orlando international with my rig.....no problemgoing. on the way back they got a super visor, wich took about aminute....then went on my way........call the airline and make sure they accept parachutes as carry on though.

people see me as a challenge to their balance

Me and my wife went from Philidelphia to Orlando. We checked our rigs and had no problems. At both airports I wanted around after we checked in to make sure there wasnt a problem, I could see where the TSA guys were checking bags before they sent them to the plane. I also put a copy of the TSA letter on top of the rigs in the bags in case they were opened.

What could possibly go wrong?

It probably won't be a problem at all. I've traveled with my rig dozens of times in the last few years and never had a problem. I would suggest:

1. Carry on your rig.
2. Check your remaining gear, unless you have a nifty rig bag that fits everything within the size restrictions.
3. Have a printout of the TSA letter.
4. Have a printout of the CYPRES letter.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

...when I had my helmet in my gear bag and they (the airline) squished it and cracked the sh!t out of it. They wouldn't reimburse me because it was not in a hard case bag.

The opened my helmet bag to look at my Protrac. I explained to the TSA guy what it was, he said fine, gave it back to me and sent me on my way.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I have taken a couple trips in the last couple months..

Take your rig with you.

!st trip out of Seattle.. they opened my carry on in SEA TAC swabbed itdown with explosives test.. then x rayed it again.. I handed them the TSA paperwork I printed out.. the Return trip form Phoenix they did not even look a second time..

This trip just completed to GulfPort from SEA-TAC.. outgoing they did not even open the bag or look thru anything.. return flight from Gulport they opened the carryon for the swab down again.. I have all the paperwork from TSA .. USPA... the airline I am flying on.. and from SSK ( Cypres)...

All in all I do not see any of the procedures to be too intrusive at all.

Take your rig and have fun in CA

Just a quick update. My trip out to California was great and I didn't encounter any problems carrying my rig onto the plane. The only question I got at Sacramento was, you guessed it, why would I jump out of a perfectly good airplane? I haven't been jumping very long, but I am already growing a little tired of wuffos asking this stupid question. Oh well, I usually make the best of it and give them a funny wise ass answer that usually makes them laugh. I only made one jump at Skydance, but it was a good one. This was my first time jumping at a new DZ and was an extremely cool experience. Looking down during freefall and seeing an entirely different landscape beneath me was pretty sweet.

~ John