flyuphi99

cutaway charges for rented gear

>When I rent a rig from my DZ, I expect it to be in fully working
> condition with a main packed by a qualified packer. I do not expect
> to have to get the reserve inspected by a rigger before I jump.

Then you should read the rental agreement more carefully. Most rental rigs are not guaranteed to be in fully working order. Decide that you are OK or not OK with this BEFORE you jump.

>Soooo, you rent a car, the brakes fail and you crash??? It's your fault
> cause you didn't bring a mechanic with you to the lot to check the
> car before hand? You should pay for all damages??

If you signed a waiver that said "I realize the brakes can fail for any number of reasons and seriously damage the car, and I agree to pay for all damages in that case" - yes. Whether or not you bring your own mechanic (or perhaps learn to inspect a brake system) is up to you.

>So we should all get our riggers ticket and pack our own reserves too?

It would be a good idea; you'll be a safer skydiver. Or you can take the easy way out and have someone else pack it for you. If you do that you are taking a risk that your gear was improperly maintained.

>I know that things can go wrong, one to many beers before
>reattaching the main, but I take the chance.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! Just realize that _you_ are willingly taking that chance; it's no one else's fault if the equipment you willingly chose to jump has a problem.

So we should all get our riggers ticket and pack our own reserves too?

Completely different topic. Reserves are packed by Certitfied riggers....

Not a different topic. The statement I was respnding to was something like "we are responsible for our entire dive and all of our equipment" yet very few skydivers are qualified to pack the reserve. At some point most of the people on the drop zone are putting their lives in someone elses hands.

I can't afford my own gear yet so I rent. I get there early and get the same rig everytime but the first jump of the day is always on someone elses pack. I know that things can go wrong, one to many beers before reattaching the main, but I take the chance.

Don't take the chance. Pack it yourself. If you don't know how, then LEARN! It pisses me off when I see a jumper that can't pack.

I do know how to pack the main and except for the first jump I generally do pack my own.

I will say that I think it is not very smart for a gear store to give out a packed rig for rent if the people that are packing it are customers. The guy may have been form another state and left and is never coming back. Maybe he didn't think it important enough to unstow the slider or stow the brakes.

At Skydive San Marcos the last pack of the day has to be done by staff and is included in the jump so when I get it the next day a packer packed it.

At Square1 we rent it out unconnected. You have to hook it up and pack it up. This means everything, including the D-bag and Pilot Chute. You hand it to some people and they look at you like they never saw a parachute that wasn't hooked up.

I would certainly be at a loss in this situation.

There are many things in life, even life threatening things, that we pay professionals to do for us. Why should this be different? I don't work on my car or perform open heart surgery on my children. Why should I not be able to trust the packer to do their job?

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

To answer your question (serious now!) I personally would define anyone experienced enough to check where the chopped main was going, help look for it, and basically take responsibility as anyone licenced. So anyone with 25-50 jumps should be getting to that point... Do you think at 37 jumps if you had a mal you would help find the main and maybe if you had time under the reserve, take a look at where it (the main) was going towards?

Absolutely I would. I think I said somewhere along the line that this person was very rude for not helping find the gear. I even hope I would be heads up enough to watch where the gear was headed. Can't say before this thread that I would have followed it down if it landed off the DZ and clearly you have to decide if it is safe to land where the gear is headed.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Perhaps it's time you made an effort to learn something about the gear you are jumping. By the time I had 30 jumps I was packing for myself and could hook up a main (at the 3 rings) without assistance.

Then again I learned to jump back when personal responsibility was stressed to new jumpers.

There are many things in life, even life threatening things, that we pay professionals to do for us. Why should this be different? I don't work on my car or perform open heart surgery on my children. Why should I not be able to trust the packer to do their job?

You may have to drive and you may have to have heart surgery but you do not have to skydive. You choose to jump out of airplanes. Why would you NOT want to know every possible thing there is to know about the gear that allows you to do so more than once? Why should anyone have to hold your hand? Are you a grownup or not?

Stuff like that is stressed to new jumpers too

Depends on where you learn to jump. Since Square One rents their equipment as seperate pieces it makes sense that the instructors at Perris would include hooking up the main as part of the packing course. Reading through the replies on this thread and the other one that is currently going on tells me that most dz's are not teaching this, and many if not most new jumpers are not seeking out this knowledge.

That's bothers me - I can't understand why anyone who jumps out of airplanes would NOT seek out as much knowledge as they could about the gear that makes skydiving a repeatable activity.

That's the attitude that bothers me - I can't understand why anyone who jumps out of airplanes would NOT seek out as much knowledge as they could about the gear that makes skydiving a repeatable activity.

LOL. I completely agree. Before my AFF 2, I made my instructor practically take apart a rig (he did everything but actually pull a reserve) and explain to me exactly how it worked. It took away a lot of my gear anxiety and made for a better jump, plus I learned a lot. I'm glad my instructor took the time to do that with me.

I learned about packing and connecting a main at the 3rings as part of my A license packing class. Jimmy at Perris was very careful to go over all of that with us. Stuff like that is stressed to new jumpers too.

Next time you are at PErris and you need help with packing just come find me. It is so easy to hook up a 3 ring. I will have you more then confident in your ability to do it. It may save you some money and get you a few more jumps every month.
Dom

Not a different topic. The statement I was respnding to was something like "we are responsible for our entire dive and all of our equipment" yet very few skydivers are qualified to pack the reserve. At some point most of the people on the drop zone are putting their lives in someone elses hands.

That is why I said it is a different topic. You have no choice but to trust a rigger to pack your reserve. You have to put your life in there hands. Unless of course you want to get your riggers ticket. Most of us are not going to take that time and effort to get one. You are forced into trusting a rigger.

You do have the choice when it comes to your main. People get lazy and don't want to pack for themselves. I am guilty as much as the next guy. But if something goes wrong it is on me.

At Skydive San Marcos the last pack of the day has to be done by staff and is included in the jump so when I get it the next day a packer packed it.

They are asking for trouble buy doing that. Stupid in my book. If something is wrong with it people will try and get out of paying their money. It wouldn't be the DZ's fault but some asshole will say since the DZ packed it they should be held responsible.

I do know how to pack the main and except for the first jump I generally do pack my own.

Would you try and get away with out paying for a lost main as a result of the cutaway on their pack job?

Only if you let it be a loss. Ask someone how to hook it up. It is really simple! Seriously..... a 5 year old can do it.

That is the thing. A packers job is to pack the canopy. That is what he does. He is not responsible if it doesn't open. Plan and simple. You are paying for a pack job not an opening. Some said earlier that Cypress quarantees openings. NOT! Neither does a packer! They try and do there best because they want you to come back and pay them more money.

The bottom line is that you are respponsible for your life and equipment! No pack job is a sure thing. Even if you pack it perfect everytime, it can still malfunction!

As far as Doctors go. Hey they give you odds on Surgery! Even there work is not a for sure thing. They can do everything right and you can still die!
Dom

You are paying for a pack job not an opening.

This statement bothers me. It's the second time I've read it in here.

Would you pay for a pack job if you knew it wasnt going to open?

I highly doubt it. Why? Because you pay them to do their job correctly. So in essence you are paying for a pack job that will open. Otherwise.. I could just go around stuffing canopies into containers and be paid rightfully? Hell no.

Would you pay for a pack job if you knew it wasnt going to open?

I paid for a pack job that produced the hardest opening I've ever experienced - an opening that resulted in two broken lines on my canopy. I paid the packer for that pack job AFTER the jump. In full. And thanked her for fitting me in that day.

I pay a packer to pack my main so I can be lazy between loads. I don't expect it to open.

Perhaps it's time you made an effort to learn something about the gear you are jumping. By the time I had 30 jumps I was packing for myself and could hook up a main (at the 3 rings) without assistance.

One more time. I do usually pack my own main.

Attaching it at the three ring was not part of the packing class, although I believe the packer did mention if and when I needed to do it come see him and he would show me.

Then again I learned to jump back when personal responsibility was stressed to new jumpers.

You may have to drive and you may have to have heart surgery but you do not have to skydive. You choose to jump out of airplanes. Why would you NOT want to know every possible thing there is to know about the gear that allows you to do so more than once? Why should anyone have to hold your hand? Are you a grownup or not?

I am quite completely grown up and believe very much in personal responsibility but since I don't yet own my own gear I have not worried about the additional information I should have to maintain my own gear.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Would you try and get away with out paying for a lost main as a result of the cutaway on their pack job?

It would be situational I think. Thing opens up and is connected backwards then I think I would be averse to paying for it. Other scenarios would result in different responses.

That is the thing. A packers job is to pack the canopy. That is what he does. He is not responsible if it doesn't open. Plan and simple. You are paying for a pack job not an opening.

Sorry but I don't buy that. It is like saying you pay a roofer to put shingles up not to guarantee the roof is water tight. Getting the roof water tight is part of the job. The canopy opening is part of the pack job.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I am new to Skydiving and I start AFF at the end of April. I do remember signing a legal document saying I assume all responsibility for any damages that occurred if the chute wasn't packed properly by one of the packers. I don't think it's right that this guy has to pay retail and the DZ that contracts out to the packers should have some kind of insurance that would cover the at least half of the cost. Could this error have been caught before this guy jumped by going over a check list or something?
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

That is the thing. A packers job is to pack the canopy. That is what he does. He is not responsible if it doesn't open. Plan and simple. You are paying for a pack job not an opening.

Sorry but I don't buy that. It is like saying you pay a roofer to put shingles up not to guarantee the roof is water tight. Getting the roof water tight is part of the job. The canopy opening is part of the pack job.

I am a packer. if your pilot chute is defective, am I supposed to still be responsible, or not get paid for the pack job I did? what if your canopy is out of trim? am I responsible? you pay me to pack the canopy, not to do a full inspection. or maybe I could get people to pay for a full inspection every jump. $20 pack jobs? I could live with that.

>Would you pay for a pack job if you knew it wasnt going to open?

If they told me "it's not going to open but I'll pack it for $1 so you can haul it home on the plane" I might pay them. Why? Because it might be useful to me to have the thing packed, and I know what I'm getting. Knowing what you are getting is the key.

Same thing with a regular pack job. Ask any packer if their pack jobs are guaranteed to open, and then decide to get it packed or not accordingly. As far as I know only one packer (Cathy) provides such a guarantee, and then only guarantees it as far as a reserve repack.

>Otherwise.. I could just go around stuffing canopies into
>containers and be paid rightfully? Hell no.

Yes, and many packers do just that. I was once told by a packer that there was something wrong with my parachute because it was missing two cells. (It was a 7-cell Pursuit.) Heck, packing is how I paid for my first 50 jumps and I was a horrible packer. I had no ratings, no experience, no innate skill at it. (On the plus side, I did have six jumps.) If you see someone like that version of me at a boogie, why do you think there is any sort of guarantee it will open, or even that they are any good? Because they are willing to take your money, you assume they are skilled, carefully trained professionals?

This is no slam against packers, but many packers are skydivers who want to make some money in skydiving and are not yet skilled/experienced enough to be AFF-I's, riggers, organizers or TM's. That was certainly the path I took. Decide if you want someone like me (circa 1991) packing for you before you hand over that $5. And if you do hand it over, accept that they may pack you a slammer or a mal.

Just to say thanks for some of the messages and phone calls I've received the last few days following my cutaway Sunday p.m. Its nice to put that event behind me, and good to hear some kind words of support. Thanks as well to all at the DZ who were kind enough to search for the jumper and the gear. As I'd mentioned, the gear had already been found when I posted the thread, and it's certainly proved to be an interesting and informative discussion, with a wide range of viewpoints.
Must comment, however, on some character assaults that surfaced in the thread, one person to whom I've already responded, the other who posted that I had "a history of losing altitude awareness and pulling lower than expected". Kindly provide the source of your misinformation. My logbook shows a single opening at 2800, also the result of a hard pull, and, except for a couple training tandems, I have NEVER lost altitude awareness. Perhaps you should think before posting garbage like that, and I don't know what your personal agenda or vendetta might be, but in my book, this is libel. Secondly, I was already walking back because it was getting dark. I was not annoyed it took "so long to find" me, and this remark is taken totally out of context.
Statements made in this manner are malicious, and circulating them ruins a jumper's reputation both from a personal and an ability standpoint. Having a cutaway is stressful enough, being the vicitm of a character attack is worse. Let's be more heads up and look at both sides of a situation before jumping to conclusions.

I am a packer. if your pilot chute is defective, am I supposed to still be responsible, or not get paid for the pack job I did? what if your canopy is out of trim? am I responsible? you pay me to pack the canopy, not to do a full inspection. or maybe I could get people to pay for a full inspection every jump. $20 pack jobs? I could live with that.

Note the subject of the thread, "... rented gear." In my opinion condition of the gear is the DZO's responsibility. Yes I should go over it to look for obvious issues but I don't know how many jumps are on it so normal maintenance is their issue.

If during the pack job you notice unsafe gear you should bring it to the attention of the owner of the gear, DZO (rented) or jumper (personal), and if you are really concerned about it refuse to pack it.

Those $20.00 pack jobs would probably loose you money unless you can safely inspect and pack one rig in the time it takes to do five now.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Note the subject of the thread, "... rented gear."

IMHO I would think that as with all things you can rent, there ought to be an option for insurance and a liability waiver. In this case it sounds as though the person renting the gear signed a piece of paper that rendered him liable for the cost of replacement. However I wouldn't pay for new gear. I would offer them a settlement to compensate them for used gear that is valued as such. Otherwise sue me. A court of law is not goin to award the DZO the price of new gear.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

I always wondered what the policy was myself when I was renting... I guess I was too stupid to ask. Glad nothing happed to the gear.

The way I see it though, Skydiving comes with risks of malfunctions...even if everything was checked and the gear was packed perfect. Shit Happens. I don't think it should be the jumpers responsability to pay for a canopy lost if he rented gear from a DZ and the DZ packed it.

Eample: I just finished up skydiving school and got DZ approval to jump on my own, but don't yet have my licence. I rent gear, they pack it. Anyway, I have a mal and have to chop. Remember I only have about 14 jumps.
I am scared shitless because I had my first chop at #14, my main concern is landing safely and not dying.... I am definately not going to follow my main and land off.
Then I get on the ground and I am told I owe them 2K. No way..... I walk right there.

I agree with some people here that if you pack it, you are responsible, but i disagree that everyone is responsible no matter what even if the DZ packs it. Unless you can show the jumper did something stupid.

I can tell you I would neverr continued skydiving in the beginning if I thought I would have to pay for the overpriced used gear if something happened. Those costs need to be included in the price of the rental.

My $0.02

Chris

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

No packer anywhere, not even riggers packing reserves, guarentees that the canopy will open. There are packers that sometimes pay for a reserve repack when their main pack is cutaway - but that is not the norm.

There used to be a pretty famous (or infamous) "Licensed Rigger" / packer at Perris named "Dead Ted". He guarenteed double your money back if you bounce. :P
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

- When I am under a fully opened canopy at 3,000ft and a jumper who announced he/she is pulling at 4,500 feet is whizzing past me in freefall I call that loss of altitude awareness and a mistake.

- When I see it happen a second, third and fourth time I consider it a problem. When I hear the same concerns from other skydivers about the same person I consider it a chronic problem.

- When there are more AFF graduates than there are rental rigs and I observe a jumper strategically moving gear to places where it can't be easily found I find that inconsiderate. Last summer I frequently observed one jumper making many jumps in a day on rental gear (sometimes back-to-back loads) while others shared gear and got to only make one jump per day. To me, that is a very inconsiderate jumper. In my book, it is exactly this type of behavior and sense of entitlement that led up to the events of the other night.

-When I observe a jumper being rude and even abusive to a staff of packers because it is taking too long to pack his/her rig, I find again, that jumper to be inconsiderate. These packers are busy packing chutes for tandems, videographers and other jumpers that were in line first. This selfish behavior was frequently tolerated and just considered a personality quirk.

-When a jumper doesn't want to jump his/her new gear (despite the fact that they've already jumped nearly identical gear and the same sized chute many times in the past) because "the risers and toggles are in different places on different parachutes" I feel this is a jumper that perhaps may not have a clue.

- When I observe many jumpers stay on the ground to avoid being in the air with a specific jumper, that tells me said jumper is not safe. Lets compound that with jumpers who will no longer jump at the DZ because of a specific jumper. This is a clear indication that there is a jumper who is not conscientious.

-When I am told about a jumper that needs to be held back in the plane because he/she is not giving any separation between exits, I can't help but feel concerned. Especially when this jumper has opened frighteningly close to me on more than one occasion without ever realizing it.

-Shall I go on? I'm glad this jumper was not hurt in any way. I was the first out to look for this individual and can't even describe the terror I felt when this jumper could not immediately be found.

- Throughout this thread there have been many posts from very experienced skydivers who have all said the same things. Many have been around this jumper for a year. Perhaps there is truth in what is being said. Perhaps this jumper should pay attention.

From what I understand, the equipment was recovered and there is no evidence of a bag lock.

Hey, we all make mistakes. Lord knows, I've made my fair share. What concerns me, is this jumper's constant and complete lack of awareness. Skydiving is a risk, but lets keep it to a minimum.

I am in no way attacking this person. I have no vendetta. I'm merely stating my observations and my experiences. If anything has been done to damage this jumper's reputation, it has been the work of that jumper.

I'm done with this thread. If this jumper wishes to discuss this further, please feel free to PM me or speak to me in person.