sky_jumper22

cutaways..... inevitable?

I was talking to someone last month who has almost 5,000 jumps and I asked them if they had any cutaways. The answer was "of course". So, should I figure that as I get more and more jumps that the chance of me getting one is unavoidable? I'm very anal when it comes to packing and I was hoping if I'm always that way then I won't have to worry about it. Anyone know the highest # of jumps with NO cutaways?

In my humble opinion; a cutaway is no more guaranteed than it is guaranteed that you won't get one... The variables that come together to create that situation are not controllable so you just never know... :) Which is why you must ALWAYS be ready for one. The jump you take off just may be your last...

"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

I believe a gal at our DZ has over 2,000 jumps with no cutaways. But that's rare.

Pack carefully and inspect & maintain your equipment and you should be able to reduce the frequency/likelihood of cutaways. But I don't think it's ever a "0 chance" thing because sometimes shit happens.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I know someone with 2000+ jumps and no cutaways. I'm hoping to reach that some day. No cutaways in 840 jumps for me.

On the other hand, I go into each jump thinking "this is going to be the one I have to cut away on."
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

That's usually my frame of mind too, but not to the point where I'm so preoccupied with it that it takes away from the fun of the jump. I have 201 jumps with no cutaways (knock on wood) but I'm confident that if a problem arose, I can handle it. But still my goal is to never have one. So I may take a half hour to pack my chute each time.. but peace of mind is priceless!

Always be prepared to cutaway.

In my mind someone who has 2000 jumps and no cutaways has less experience than someone who does have cutaways. They've never used their emergency procedures.

I don't think there's anything to learn from having or not having cutaways. From a recent conversation w/ someone on the Pro Swoop Tour, "In 7000 jumps I never had a cutaway. In the past year or so I've had 7 since joining the factory team." I wouldn't conclude that swooping or joining a factory team has any bearing on cutaways. If you make enough jumps eventually you will have to use your emergency procedures.

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

You say,

"In my mind someone who has 2000 jumps and no cutaways has less experience than someone who does have cutaways."

but then you say

"I don't think there's anything to learn from having or not having cutaways."

I'm confused.:ph34r:

Separate paragraphs ergo separate thoughts. Obviously it's confusing for you.:P

One thought is a comment on experience. The other is a epistemic comment on 'what can be learned'.

The overall point is to always be prepared.;)

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

In my mind someone who has 2000 jumps and no cutaways has less experience than someone who does have cutaways. They've never used their emergency procedures.

While I would like to agree with the above statement because it is being generous towards folks like myself who have had a cutaway....;)

I disagree.
"less experience" is such a broad statement. The person who has 2000 jumps has infinately more experience than myself...because if we say "more experience" or "less experience" then you're talking generally...
and they will have had much more experience in freefall than I do, and much more experience landing than I do, and much more experience under canopy than me, possibly more experience in CReW than me, more experience hooking, more experience with freeflying, more experience with relative work...

I have more experience with a hard pull resulting in EPs and a reserve ride. whoop-dee-whoop. Not comparable to the person with 2000 jumps. I've just have ONE experience that they haven't had...they've had hundreds of experiences that I haven't had.

If you make enough jumps eventually you will have to use your emergency procedures.

Ken

Unfortunately, I think that's true.

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

The overall point is to always be prepared.

I know of some one who has got 3 cutaways in his first 70 jumps at the same time there are people out there with 1000's of Jumps with very few or nil cutaways. So the moral of the story is ANY jump can be a potential cutaway, so BE PREPARED.

Cutaways are not a like the black plague i.e. dont be afraid of them just be ready and prepared. They could be a good learning experience (and fun too..well sometimes.B|)

G.

I'll bet I am the only person to cutaway a reserve and open his main

Bill Cole D-41

That sounds interesting. If you dont mind, please share the details. Funny..you learn something new about this sport everyday.

Edited to add: I hope you were not talking about a intentional cutaway rig.

When practicing for the 1st chuteless jump, I decided to open the reserve I was going to use on the actual jump, and it blew apart, so I cutaway, and opened my Para-Commander.

There must have been about 2000 holes in the reserve, little ones and big ones.

It was a brand new canopy, never used before.

ooooops

Bill Cole D-41

Nice story! Way to cheat death. Was it acid, or something? (On the reserve, not lysergic)

BTW, I once met a 1st jump student who had a cutaway on all the jumps he ever did. All one of them. He left the sport with a 1:1 jump/cutaway ratio.

Cutaways rule. I got to jump the Strong Tridem rig a few years back, and if I had one of those, I'd do a cutaway every weekend. Just like a balloon jump.

No , I think it was a combination of my weight and the unopened main, just too much in terminal for the reserve, and it also had a line over.

Actually, I like cutaways...they are a real fix (adrenalin ). Ive had about 8, and 1 reserve used when I didnt have enough alt to use a main.

Bill Cole D-41

I reached 1800 at the end of last season and haven't had a cutaway so far. The 'MAL'-bug is knocking at my conscious though. As we begin downsizing, paying for packing, and doing back-to-back loading...isn't it just a matter of time.

I hope that I can be one of the few people to say that I reached 2Gs without one. :)

[:/][:/]

Having a working parachute 1800 times in a row isn't the safest mindset to proceed with - I think. In several ways, you would probably agree, that a MAL would be good experience to have. Things have been pretty clean for me aside from an unstowed break (by my foot headdown in freefall) and once after opening. Enough to freak me out; but not enough to call a malfunction.

Handling a problem isn't what I am worried about. It is the experience of having something over my head that I know, FOR SURE, I CAN'T land, then finding one that I can. I still dirt dive malfunctions quite often and always will. Whether you have had a mal or not, this should be standard practice.

Thanks a lot for the confidence booster Bill! :)

BTW, I once met a 1st jump student who had a cutaway on all the jumps he ever did. All one of them. He left the sport with a 1:1 jump/cutaway ratio.

I know an AFF student who chopped on level three (this was actually like his 10th jump I believe) because of a stuck toggle. Anyway, he pulled through just fine and will continue his training.

Personally I kinda look forward to a cutaway. I'd like to know that I can handle it. Right now although I want it I'm afraid of it, much like I was the first jump. Now I know I can do it (sort of) and I want to know I can still do it when the sh!t hits the fan.

Never go to a DZ strip show.