sunsetjim

What does "biff" really mean?

snivel is a good one. Looked it up at dictionary.com: HERE. Not even CLOSE to how we use it.

Dave

I see meaning two as being the meaning that was warped for skydiving. The canopy is whining around, then finally opens. Used to be a "bad thing." Now considered a "good thing" as it implies a softer opening.

I tried to find the etymology of "biff" and didn't find anything useful. Certainly the word has a history going back to the early 1900's, and my father and grandfather used it in the phrase "biff you in the chops" which meant a punch in the mouth. Maybe I'll remember to look it up in the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) and report back. The dictionary.com definition "to strike or punch" is consistent with my father's use, and a very plausible antecedent for the skydiving usage.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I don't know about you guys - but I had heard of the term before I started skydiving.

I know what it means in the UK Army - it is an abbreviation, but very rude and I don't think this is the site for it!!:$B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

It's been around longer than jumping has.
Paul is right about it being an oh-know-plf-ahh word.
I turned it into an acronym several years ago:
Boredom Induced Facial Fracture.
I broke my nose at the dropzone, but not jumping. :o
I brewed a boatload of BIFF bitter that winter. Tasty, and it made great xmas presents, though technically, it was an India Pale Ale, not a bitter.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

A biff is a punch, like in boxing. Those of us old enough to have seen the Batman shows on television 35 or so years ago saw this word superimposed over fight scenes. Like "snivel" the word has taken on a somewhat different meaning in the skydiving realm.

That's what I always thought it came from, the old Batman fight scenes. BIFF! BAM! POW! SMACK!