zulu

Why did you decide to be an instructor?

Someone asked me at TSP DZ last weekend why did I decide to teach? Immediatley the event that took place on Son DZ Ft. Campbell, started to unfold. Here is what I told the student;

FT. Campbell parachute club was the most awesome club for us jumpers back in the 90s. For $20 you could rent gear and jump as much as you can out of the UH-60 Blackhawks. Susie Hanks and Harry Parrish were my "Parents" into the skydiving world.

Well on this Sunday evening it was the last load of the day, and I was still a novice but no longer a student, I hurried to the Aircraft to get on the load to jump with a 4 way, not to be apart of it but just to go out and observe. One of the jumpers on the load asked me where did I think I was going and I said Im on the load, he said no your not, you cant fly and he replaced me with one of his buddies.

That incident still to this day is fresh like it was yesterday. That is why I decided to pursue every Instructor rating I can get. . People who know me, understand that when I come to the DZ the students have priority of my time, then its play time. Sometimes I will not jump if a student needs help packing or BSRs. Ive had some awesome instructors like Kip Lohlmiller, Greg Offhaus, Jose Malave, John Hillbush, SGM Ike, SGM Lamb just to name a few. Skydiving is a sport that promotes cohesion and in my case it is my extended family.

(Jumping off my soap box) Now tell us Why did you decide to become instructors.

Zulu

I've only been in the sport for about a year and half. I spent all last season packing and dressing new students. Helping them gear up is almost as exciting as jumping. The excitement they show and the fun when they get to the ground. I am going this coming weekend to get my coach rating which is my first step in becoming an instructor.
I want to do this so i can share the fun and joy i get from every jump. Even those jumps that don't go as planned. I recently got my fiancee into the sport and she loves it. It has been a real joy working with her on progressing. I guess that is why i want to be an instructor. Just to pass on the good things about the sport and to make all feel welcome.

Patrick

I am not an Instructor yet, I am currently a Coach, and I am taking a SL Instructor Course here in just over a month.

I LOVE working with students and helping out lowtimers. Just shortly after I got my A-license, I started teaching flat-packing to the students. I'm serious, you can ask KansasSkydiver for a confirmation on this, but I would miss load after load to hang around on the ground and teach my little packing class. I realized about that time That in this sport, I wanted to be someone who teaches and helps others grow - it is a big thrill to me.
I got my Coach about 7 months ago, and SInce then I've been throwing as many students as I possibly can. People are suprised when I tell them how many coach dives I've done when I've only been an instructor for seven months. I even like to train uncurrent SL students in the training harness - an often LONG and frusterating process.
I just figured out a long time ago that this is something I wanted to do. I love it almost as much as jumping!
=========Shaun ==========

A long time ago I was working for a student newspaper when a guy came in and offered a free skydive if we would do a story about his drop zone. I jumped at the opportunity. That guy was George Woods, and he changed my life. Other instructors followed, and each added to my experience and skill level, and each instructor further enhanced my enjoyment of life.

I was pulled to become an instructor because I so valued what others had done for me. I felt a command to share my love of this sport with others. I felt a command to pass along the thrills and the self confidence this sport had offered me.

I have always felt the importance of giving back, and passing along. Teaching and sharing skydiving has enhanced my life as much as it has enhanced the lives of my students. It matters.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
S&TA
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I did it mostly for free jumps and to impress the girls... Got lots of free jumps anyways!
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I was pulled to become an instructor because I so valued what others had done for me. I felt a command to share my love of this sport with others. I felt a command to pass along the thrills and the self confidence this sport had offered me.

I couldn't have put it any better. I've been fortunate to have some great instructors and coaches, and one thing they impressed on me was to pass on what I have learned to the newer jumpers, whether it's AFF or RW. It became more apparrent as I was training to become an instructor. Even now I get to do AFF jumps with my mentors and on a couple of occaisions was their evaluator. Although still relatively a new AFF-I with <250 AFFs, and ~50 FJCs taught, I am still learning from others before me. Neal Wathen, Ed Palowski, CB Thompson, Tom Riddick, Carmen Mullinex, Jacquie Scoones, Lob L., Jerry McCauley and Jay Stokes are all great instructors. Erin, Hammo, Mikey Inabinet, Todd Hawkins, Tammi Rettig, Jaqi O'Bryan, Doug Forth, Mel, Lou, Rob, Kevin, Kama, Chris Fiala, Derek P., MJ, The Wuests, have all helped me become the skydiver that I am today. Thanks also go out to Bryan, Special Ed (Cajones), Jess and Rich (rjf98) for showing me the way, and Harold & Gretchen Carlisle for their moral support and confidence in me.
Skydiving skills and knowledge: The gift that keeps on giving. B|

I get to see a piece of my first jump experience in each students face - The fear before their jump and the exultation after they take their first plunge. Plus I get nearly as big a thrill as they do, when they finally get their 'A' license.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I disagree. Seems to me most flight instructors do that to build up their time till they can get a real job flying charters or for the airlines, too. It's a legitimate way to pay for your hobby...

It's not your motivation that counts, it's how well you can teach...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

It's a legitimate way to pay for your hobby...

Absolutely. My initial motivation was to help pay for my hobby.

It's not your motivation that counts, it's how well you can teach...

Right again. Once I started instructing, I found I loved teaching and was fairly good at it. I absolutely loved jumping with new jumpers. There is nothing I get a bigger charge out of than the excitement of a first time jumper when he or she has just successfully completed the first skydive. Or the look in a student's eyes when they finally get it, especially during a skydive. I really, really eat that up. What's really cool, is now some of my students are instructing and competing. I like knowing I may have had some small part in their success. And of course, best of all...I get to jump for free.

I did it mostly for free jumps and to impress the girls... Got lots of free jumps anyways!

I think if you said that at the instructor course, you would flunk it right there on the spot..:P

Ahhh, honesty is not valued at instructor courses?

Michael

I decided to get my AFF rating to guage my skills, not really to teach. Boy, I was wrong, the teaching aspect is the best.
I decided to get my rigger rating to know as much as I can about the gear I jump, plus to teach. It helps others not to guess about functions of the rig and its individual components.
Now, if something happens to me, it is likely I am the only one to blame. NO LAWSUITS!!!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Initally I became an instructor because I was bored with sitting around the DZ, bored with packing student rigs, bored with dressing students and I wanted to make MORE JUMPS, like my heroes.
I translated those extra jumps into improving my accuracy skills.
Later on I discovered that I enjoyed seeing the grins on first-timers.
As for impressing the chicks? Hah!
I am too professional to hit on my students.
Nowadays, tandems are the only way a gray beard like me can get within a mile of a young woman. Hee! Hee!

Yeah, I became an instructor for all the same reasons you all did (listed above).

And for the chicks too :S NOT!

But I will tell you, some of my fondest memories of AFF were when I'd get these big Marines and Army/Air Force guys who would show up in Monterey all high and tight like Hoooraahh. Studly man wishes to jump from manly airplane. It's like all righty then, you have come to the RIGHT place. I took one guy all the way through, did his Levels 1-7. He was my little prodigy child. We'd take the 206 up just the two of us and the pilot for his later jumps and I just always thought of how cool it was when I opened the door and gave him "some skin" for good luck to see the look of fear on his face, grab him tightly by the legstrap and ask ARE YOU READY TO SKYDIVE???

YEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAWWWWWWW! :P :)
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Jen,

I had a former AFF student that did his FJC and level 1 with you at SMB. He recently and finally earned his A license and has over 30 jumps now. This weekend he plans on showing me the video of that jump with you. :o:ph34r:B| Anyway, we may not remember all of our students, but they remember us.;)

Hope all is well in Stl, MO.

Shark

Anyway, we may not remember all of our students, but they remember us.

Isn't that the truth. I run into students all the time who made one jump with me, umpteen years ago, who are so excited when they see me. It's flattering to make such a large impression on another person. Unfortunately, my memory doesn't allow me to remember every student:$...but hey...in my defense, I am getting old:P

Hey Shark!!!! :P

A former student huh? Schweet. You'll have to PM me his name. I remember all of my students. Some of them I like to remember more than others :S

Well, I hope my hair and everything else looks good in the video ;):)

C-YA! :)
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Because I love to watch the students shake from fear.:P

Ed Palowski helped me become the skydiver that I am today.

You spelled my name wrong, but thats cool.:ph34r:
And I dont seem to recall you shaking much.;)

Be safe
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I was not the most stellar student (it took 4 years and 107 jumps to graduate). One of the things that kept me going was the enthusiasm of my instructors, in particular, George Campbell, Dave Ruffell and last (and least), Steve Murphy;)
I then progressed equally slowly with my RW skills and was exposed to various coaches and marvelled at their ability to coax something out of me.
1400+ jumps and an AFF rating later, I still thoroughly enjoy the whole teaching process. Taking someone who has never flown in aircraft through the FJC and taking them on their level 1 the same day.
There is also something about seeing someone manifesting for a solo and taking them for a low key 2-way and watching their eyes get big when something clicks for them :)
Foggy

One of the greatest satisfactions in life is the ability to pass knowlege on to another person,
even more than that is seeing the individual you trained training others and using the techniques you taught them.
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

Because I love to watch the students shake from fear.:P

Ed Palowski helped me become the skydiver that I am today.

You spelled my name wrong, but thats cool.:ph34r:
And I dont seem to recall you shaking much.;)

Be safe

I believe you had some "fear" on my repeat level 3.:o You went from a freefly helmet to a full-face.:ph34r::D

The short answer is: The advent of Tandem jumping.
(However, it became much more than that, see below explanation.)

I had thought of getting my instructional ratings for a while but had not gotten around to it. When Tandem jumping was being developed but was not common, I thought that was the most incredible way to instruct, and I knew that I wanted to do that.

I said this out loud to a very experienced jumper and instructor, and he was kind enough to me to admonish me for even thinking about it without yet having any other instructional ratings. He said, "Gee Gary, taking someone up on a Tandem jump is going to be reserved for those with only the highest instructional ratings, and you have none!"

This is one of the biggest favors any skydiver has ever done for me. I knew he was right, so I immediately set out to get my Static Line Jumpmaster and then Instructor rating, and by the time I had them, the local DZO had purchased a Tandem rig and gotten rated himself.

So there I was, prepared with other instructional ratings and ready to become a Tandem Instructor.

Here is the "however"-

The journey from no ratings to nearly all of the ratings (S/L, AFF, and Tandem I/E) has been a fantastic one, and I have enjoyed teaching skydiving using ALL of the instructional methods. I literally do not have a favorite. My idea of a great day skydiving is to do a couple of Tandem jumps, a couple of AFF jumps, a "coach" jump of some kind, and jumpmaster a S/L student or two. (Flying the 182 jump plane somewhere in there, and an 8-way would make it even more perfect, of course.)

I must also add what many of you have said is the reason you became an instructor-

My instructors. These were my skydiving role models.

I was taught well by a number of really great people that gave back to the sport by helping me, and of course, it feels great to carry this on.