is there a good reason why UK dz's don't have the odd "free" one on one coach days?

not all the time, i mean once in a blue moon. I've seen/heard of it at dz's in the US, i'm curious as to know if there is there a good reason why we don't have it in the UK? Or if we do, anyone know when/where?

When i say free i mean you pay for your slot, the coach gets a subsidised slot through the dz, and you get full brief, video and de-brief. You don't pay the coach slot or coach fee, thereby it's sort of "free".

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

well, someone pays for that... if not the jumper, the DZ, Club etc... someone pays for it...
At our DZ it happens sometimes that we have some coaching paid by the Club, the school or the pilot.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I've never heard of it with video included, etc. I have been to a few DZ's where they have a skills day once a month and a coach jumps with low timers either 1 on 1 or in up to 4 ways and helps teach. It is not at all DZ's and is more the exception than the rule. I'd love to hear which DZ's have this plus free video?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Don't feel bad, we don't have that here either. Nowadays it's hard to find a coach who won't charge extra besides their slot. I understand the need for money and some guys really deserve what they get paid for it, but I feel that your local everyday (non pro) coaches should charge the slot and do the rest just to be cool and give back to the sport. Just my "brotherly love" "<1000 jump" opinion though. Honestly, when I'm good enough to charge, I probably will. :D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

At Elsinore and at Perris, there are skills camps that are usually "free". . .ie.; you pay for your slot and the DZ sponsors the coach. You may or may not get time in the air with the coach - depending on how many show up for camp, but you will dirt dive and drill like crazy. No video though unless the coach happens to be flying camera. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

I think its bad as well .....
Im nowhere near this point yet....but when I am good enough I totally intend to 'put something back' by taking a few jumps a month with someone up and coming...for nowt...nada....and not just because they are a mate...but because they could use a hand...

Keep a look out out for the BPA coaching roadshows. I think there is one up at Hibildstow before the nationals. Also it is really good to enter any scrambles competitions you can, you will get loads of coaching there.

As for free coaching sponsored by DZs? well I have not heard about it in the UK. Then again I have limited experience. If you are going to do Warp, the 'normal' arrangement is to pay your coaches slot, if you did not it would be like asking someone to pay to coach you!

not all the time, i mean once in a blue moon. I've seen/heard of it at dz's in the US, i'm curious as to know if there is there a good reason why we don't have it in the UK? Or if we do, anyone know when/where?

I haven't heard of this in the US.
also, something tells me that if someone does have it at their DZ, they aren't gonna post it because then every DZ.com member would be showing up on that date to demand free videod coach dives.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I haven't heard of this in the US.
also, something tells me that if someone does have it at their DZ, they aren't gonna post it because then every DZ.com member would be showing up on that date to demand free videod coach dives.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1067224;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

yeah its the grand operning but still.
The dz in Texas i jumped at had it last month. The point is, places don't have to shout from the rooftops about it, its more about the dz working to subsidise the good work the coaches do to put something back to the loyal customer who spend a lot of money at the dz. It could be like 1 day a year or something.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

There's a lot less profit in the sport over here due to higher tax on fuel and landing fees. That could be one reason why it's not common to see DZ's paying for your skills.

Other than that there is plenty of BPA and BCPA coaching available throughout the year.

I see you live in London. Netheravon DZ is not that far from you. For WARP coaching, they charge just 10GBP to cover the coaches slot. With cheap max tickets anyway at 16GBP, it will cost you only 26GBP per WARP jump - that's almost free! If your coach has a camera then you are sorted.

Paul.

There's a lot less profit in the sport over here due to higher tax on fuel and landing fees.

Yea, like everything else in the uk the high prices get passed on to the public. 'Rip-off Britain' i think its known as!!
Free/subsidised coaching would be fantastic.When i get to jump with experienced jumpers that just happen to be on my load its always great because you learn things under less pressure i feel.
Still havent got my FS1 but the thought of messing the qualifying jump up when ive payed 4 slots obviously puts pressure on you to perform in freefall. I think the secret to skydiving is in relaxation!! the thought of £80 down the drain doesn't make me relax.

Blue skies, cold beer!

"swooper 24/7, 365!"
ME on Myspace
My Project playlist

It does happen now and then - Last weekend Peterlee DZ near Newcastle hired me and 2 of my mates as FS coaches to go up there for a coaching weekend. They paid our petrol expenses and food and lodgings AND were intending to pay our slots for the first couple of FS coaching levels for their low experience jumpers.. AND we were going to wear video cameras.. Unfortunately the Great British weather kept us on the ground - but the plan is to try again later in the summer. - So whilst I appreciate your point - it is as rare as hen's teeth - but just occasionally..........

you pay for your slot, the coach gets a subsidised slot through the dz, and you get full brief, video and de-brief. You don't pay the coach slot or coach fee, thereby it's sort of "free".

So you expect the coach to pay (albeit a subsidised slot) to coach you?

Never mind that they have already had to pay to buy their own video equipment, and x thousands of pounds to get their skills to a coachable level?

I am all for DZs promoting skills in Newbies (after all, they will make some money out of them over the course of their jumping career!) but not at the expense of the coach. I can't think of any other sport where this would be suggested. Free ground coaching is a great idea as all it costs your coach is their time (which, to be fair, they could probably spend earning money from tandems or similar, but hey, it's nice to be nice) - and in air too, but only if the DZ or coachee will cover the slot.

i'm not auggesting it happens, it already does. I was curious to know why it was something i had only seen in the US.

I imagine some dz's where it has happened don't subsidise the coach jumps, but pay for them outright, i was just wondering why dz's in the UK couldn't do the same (although from one guys post here, it seems like at least one is up for it). I guess it's all about economics.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Sorry it sounded like you thought that UK coaches should pay to train you.

You're right, it's all economics - I think US DZs can afford to cover the coach slot - the coach isn't paying for themselves to jump. At the Eloy Xmas boogie you would get that, for sure, in the form of load organizing. You often get a similar deal in the UK for load organizers.

But for one-on-one coaching in sunny England, the best you can hope for is a subsidised coach slot that the DZ, or you, pay for...UK DZs don't have the same turnover or profit margins enjoyed by the USA. For the same reason you don't see any fully-sponsored fulltime DZ-affiliated 4way teams in the UK. The money isn't there.