jumperconway

Watching Wrong Dirtdive, Question...

First TSL meet Saturday past and I watched a team dirt diving a block incorrectly. It was a guaranteed bust. Even though this was a team competing against us, I couldn't help but inform them of the mistake. 3 of the 4 haven't done competition before and I wouldn't have felt ok about myself if I hadn't told them about the error. Your thoughts?
My team won the intermediate comp anyway.

I think you did the right thing, but I'm not an overly-competitive person. Even with those intense competition scenarios, I think it's best to help people grow and improve in the sport. I would hope someone would point out my mistakes to me. Right on. :)

You're a good man, Charlie Brown. Your answer lies in your own words, the part about most/all of them never having been in competition before. Even though it was an "intermediate" comp, in a sense they were 'newbies' and you helped 'em out. Good show of sportsmanship.

For the record, if they were skygods, or if they shot you any attitude when you interjected, then screw 'em and let them bust all day long...

Elvisio "teach your children well" Rodriguez

First TSL meet Saturday past and I watched a team dirt diving a block incorrectly. It was a guaranteed bust. Even though this was a team competing against us, I couldn't help but inform them of the mistake. 3 of the 4 haven't done competition before and I wouldn't have felt ok about myself if I hadn't told them about the error. Your thoughts?
My team won the intermediate comp anyway.

There's your answer right there. I believe in good karma. It always comes back to you. Not to say you won the comp cause you're a good person, you also worked hard to earn that first place slot.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Thank you for pointing that out to us, Conway. Our team appreciated you helping us out. With our experience level at competing, we probably would have never known. I'm sure that catching our own mistakes will come with time.

Had it not been our team that you helped, I still think that you made the right decision. In any competition, I would never want to win knowing that my team had an edge over the other before they even made the jump. It just wouldn't make the win as rewarding.

Congrats on your win! I really enjoyed the competition. And Sunday was fun too! The jump with D-1 rocked!!!

Kim
Blue Skies!!!
Kimmy

Tell them.

You are not competing against them anyway...You are competing against a clock...If they are faster, then you were slower.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

... Even though this was a team competing against us, I couldn't help but inform them of the mistake. 3 of the 4 haven't done competition before.... My team won the intermediate comp anyway.

Absolutely the right thing to do, and congratulations on your win. But your qualifications beg the question: Would you have helped them if everybody had competed before? If they were either outscoring you or were likely to? I'm sure your answer would be yes, Conway, because you're that kind of guy. I would hope others would do the same, no matter the circumstances.

I prefer: "I saw a team prepping a bust. I told them."

Absolutely the right thing to do, and congratulations on your win. But your qualifications beg the question: Would you have helped them if everybody had competed before? If they were either outscoring you or were likely to? I'm sure your answer would be yes, Conway, because you're that kind of guy. I would hope others would do the same, no matter the circumstances.

I prefer: "I saw a team prepping a bust. I told them."

Dave you answered your own question:). As I have been corrected in a dirtdive before even by competetors that didn't even know me. They were also extremely appreciative of the information. The reference to the newbies was just matter of fact and had no bering on my decision. And thanks!;)

I'd have probably told them what they were doing wrong (not that I'd be able to tell they were doing something wrong, but thats not the point).

It does make me think though, why should that team benefit from my advice any more than the other teams? Would it make a difference if there was significant prize money at stake?

I'd have probably told them what they were doing wrong (not that I'd be able to tell they were doing something wrong, but thats not the point).

It does make me think though, why should that team benefit from my advice any more than the other teams?

If I had seen another team doing it, I would have pointed it out to them as well.

Would it make a difference if there was significant prize money at stake?

It's all about the spirit of the competition.

Been in that position exactly. Our first NPSL season one meet draw contained 6 (stardian-stardian). It was written on the board sloppy and looked like a G (catacord).

I saw the other team (in fact, captained by the guy who did the draw the night before even) practicing the G. Two seconds of comment and they were on track. Direct competitors and friends. Absolutely no question there.

Of course you tell them, how shitty would that feel if you didn't?

Now if you see someone using different/inefficient engineering of a dive, that's their business (IMHO).

What would you do in that scenario? That's a tougher call. I can't answer for me, normally I get asked before I notice those kinds of things (on the newbie teams). And in our regional league, the teams sometimes even compare notes on engineering to see if someone has a better way. We want our whole region to get better.....

Edit: Nice job on the meet for Random Chaos 1.2 - that was a fun draw wasn't it? We played this weekend also. I wish our regional director would post results that fast.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

My favorite quote from a rifle team coach (no, not flipping a rifle around like some sort of perverted decoration---accuracy shooting):

"I'll teach you everything I know, then I'll beat you"

Good on ya for helping them!

-kjarv

(Perhaps this belongs in the 'Relative Work' forum?)

Now if you see someone using different/inefficient engineering of a dive, that's their business (IMHO).

What would you do in that scenario? That's a tougher call. ...

The only real problem here is providing unwanted, unsolicited information. If someone asks, even if they have the potential to outscore my team, I'll provide the best answer I can. If they do not ask, it depends on a variety of factors: do I know them, are they having obvious trouble, are they doing something way off the mark?

Engineering is not some secret thing (we all prep in public), and what works for one team may be wholly inappropriate for another. Engineering a dive has to play to the team's strengths and account for their weaknesses.

Nobody likes a knowitall; popping in with unsolicited advice can be received in the wrong way. And I agree with Bill, in most cases, engineering is a team's own business. But if I see something way out of whack, I'll at least ask if they are open to a suggestion.

I don't think it was us, but I would like to use this post as another chance to thank all TSL advanced teams, especially Rave and Dallas Thunder, for the help. It was very nice of you guys to mentor intermediate and rookie teams and to help engineer the dives. We missed several training camps due to bad weather and as a result did not have a chance to practice most of the blocks before the first meet. Thank you guys for helping us out! ;)

I don't think it was us, but I would like to use this post as another chance to thank all TSL advanced teams, especially Rave and Dallas Thunder, for the help.

Watch out for advice from that Dallas Thunder vidiot, (4-way) :D Advice from D. Burton is always safe though.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.