Maxim

Exit Trouble

Heya all. Iv recently finished my AFF jumps done a few solo's since. i was landing unassisted by jump 3. and have stood up 90% of my landings. iv been fairly stable in the air and keep my heading well. seem to be able to do spins. barrel rolls. backloops all perfectly fine.

but my exits are horrible i always seem to tumble out i get stable very very quickly its just the initial tumble. iv had lots of instructors tell me things, look up at the plane. really stick your pelvis out. arch arch arch. but nothing is seeming to work for me. any advise is appreciated. i really wanna nail these exits and then start on my B-rels. as a bad exit seems to ruin a whole dive with other people. Thanks

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

Max, I haven't any real advice, but I'd like to share with you this thought...

Skydiving is learned in very rapid, small incriments. Flying our bodies through the sky takes a ton of work and practice, and we can only do it for about a minute at a time. In that minute, we can try several times to accomplish something. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. But it's fast, and it's hard, and it's a lot going on in a short time.

Keeping that in perspective, an exit can take all of what, 2 seconds??? And you can't repeat it.

One of the best things I've ever done is spend a lot of time at the mock-up, walking only ONE exit, over and over. And then lots of time during the week watching exits that work - not funnels, but successes. And then rehearsed in my head, over and over...

You'll get it in time.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Hips and shoulders have the most effect on your exit. arms and legs don't really do much. If you can make sure that your hips and shoulders are square with each other and perpendicular to the line of flight you should be ok. Get the core of your body flying in the wind and arch. Really throw it out there, jump off the plane with force, fly your body the second you leave the plane. I bet you can't jump off the plane hard enough. I lot of people right off AFF tend to fly like plywood or a rag doll. You need to be somewhere in the middle. You need to be rigid, yet flexible. Fly the wind, don't let it fly you.

wax on, wax off. you can do it grasshopper.

Get someone to video a few of your exits and watch them back over and over. Try to see where you're going wrong - some times it's the little things that trigger other actions.... that cause problems.

Good luck

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

greets

ya - same deal here... graduated AFF with no problems, stood-up all but my first landing (during aff that is) - but those exits can sure be tricky, aye?

first i was flipping on every exit - i watched a video of my exit and realized i was a little too stiff... loosened up, and now i don't flip, but i do spin like a turntable (nothing extreme, maybe 90 degrees) on the last half of 'the hill' before regaining my heading... it takes time, but i can feel myself improving on each jump... i used to be a bit self-conscious, thinking, "boy, i bet the other guys on the plane are laughing at THIS exit..."

but you know what? i quickly realized that i spend a lot of energy just trying to amuse people anyway, so as long as i'm safe and having fun - no worries!

good to know that there are others out there like me... (gasp!)

-dan

i dont mind. i get shit for most my exits. i had never done a exit standing outside the door.. so i thought i would try one. we have a handle above our door. i put one arm up got a grip of the handle. then put my body and other arm out to grab on handle with second hand. as i was putting my body out i exposed a bit to much and got a fair bit of wind blowing on me and i couldnt get my other grip so i just had to let go. proceded to do a back flip out the door. amusing. i asked my instructor the proper way to climb out so i know for next time =).

Life is Great. Even Greater what we do with it.

Any video will help but the main thing I have found is just keep your eyes on the aircraft. If you make sure you are looking for it you will automatically make your body do the right things.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Maxim,
I am at right about your level right now (20 jumps). The thing that made a huge improvement in my exits was getting a video. I had a good idea of what I was doing. Actually seeing it, really helped me fix it.
I went over the video with my coaches a few times and it really helped. I would recommend it highly.

Brian

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Really throw it out there, jump off the plane with force, fly your body the second you leave the plane. I bet you can't jump off the plane hard enough.

Actually, I disagree. Many times new jumpers will put way too much energy into an exit, causing them to tumble. If I'm working with someone who is having exit trouble, I give them the lowest energy exit I can (rear float works well for a side door, all the way out on the strut for a Cessna). I have them just drop off the plane and present. Once they get comfortable with flying their body with the non-vertical relative wind, more difficult, higher energy exits will become easier.

My advice: climb out and turn to face the relative wind. Put as much of your body into an arched position as possible before leaving the plane (get a coach or instructor to help you in the mock up). Drop off the plane and arch. Keep your head up and try to relax into the wind. Above all else, smile and have a good time. Skydiving is spposed to be fun, enjoy yourself.

- Dan G

Door Drills.

PHASE I
1. Walk up to any door.
2. Place your feet approximately 18 inches from the door.
3. Leaving your feet in place; place your pelvic only on the door.
4. Arch with your arms 90/90
5. Head back looking at a point approximately 18 inches above the door frame.

PHASE II
1. Place a mark on the wall to the right of the door frame and 3 feet up from the ground.
2. Step to the right of the door facing the wall about 24 inches from the right door frame and 24 inches away from the wall crouched down below the 3 foot mark.
3. Practice jumping from there and sticking your feet and pelvis as defined in PHASE I.

Rinse
Repeat.