jkotch

Am I worthlest?

I had a fello jumper ask how many jumps I had the other day.
72 I said.
"Oh, that's nice."
When does jump numbers substitue character or ability as a skydiver or a person?
If you're great in the sky but a dick on the ground.....I don't think I want to jump with you.

I don't understand why you are offended. Did the guy act like a dick?

What did he do that was so rude? I hope just asking the question is not enough.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Hi Sundevil

I don't think asking the question was enough to be rude it was the response.

I wasn't there but the "oh thats nice" that the original poster is concerned about IMO.

Depending on the tone of voice and body language used it could be considered by some like a adult patting a little kid on the top of their head after glancing at their prized finger painting, aand wlking away.

Some of the bigger boy's don't want to be seen with the younger boys. The guy who asked the question could have said something like

"70 jumps" cool what kind of jumping you been doing? Did you do AF or s/l how long you been jumping at this DZ etc.

Sounds to me like the 70 jump guy got the brush off. But i could be reading the whole situation own. Maybe the 70 jump guy was expecting the secrete handshake from his skydiving brother and getting invited on a 8 way like some of the 70 jump babes.

R.I.P.

Haha, i getcha...

I have had the same. People look down on you for only having a few jumps. But then you also get people who encourage you a lot and jump with you. THere is nothing more encouraging in the world to me than an experienced person spending his money to jump with me. That means a lot.

So look at both ends and be happy mate!

ANother bother is that it is very easy to become egotistical as a "skydiver" in the "non-jumper" world. People are sometimes amazed and cannot quit asking q's. Others think you are the man, and some girls all of a sudden start liking you when they find out you SKYDIVE!
Then you get to the DZ, and you are the little guy again. Its humbling, and it is goods that way. Thats what we all need.
Tak your revenge by jumping a lot, and being nice to lowtimers when you are the experienced one!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Don't get me wrong~~~ Jumping is still jumping.
My question is about the people who are "unimpressed" with your jump numbers.
I know people who have 7 jumps and people who have 700 jumps...both are great people. Character is the difference... And I'm not talking about their jump ##.

I would reply to you if you had, say 85 or 90+ jumps, but hey, I have 122 jumps now so I dont have time for you and your 72 jumps ;)

Dude, dickheads come in all shapes sizes, and number of jumps. Dont sweat the assholes. Not all folks with big numbers are assholes and not all guys with under 100 jumps are cool.
Skydivers are a small cross section of people but still represent all the best and worst that people have to offer. Contrary to what some folks would like to believe, we are nothing special and being skydivers doesnt mean that we are any better or worse than anyone else. The ONLY thing that sets us apart is our choice of recreational activities. Aside from that, we ARE everyone else.

I've met a few (fortunately not many) guys with jumps numbering in the thousands that I have no respect for at all. They can kiss my 122 jump arse. They have nothing that I want. I've met guys with NO jumps at all that I completely respect and admire.

Grow a thicker skin and you will be much happier B|
__

My mighty steed

Maybe the 70 jump guy was expecting the secrete handshake from his skydiving brother and getting invited on a 8 way like some of the 70 jump babes.

But you don't mind it when the girls seek you out to join their loads, do you RIP?:P
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Maybe the 70 jump guy was expecting the secrete handshake from his skydiving brother and getting invited on a 8 way like some of the 70 jump babes.

But you don't mind it when the girls seek you out to join their loads, do you RIP?:P

Hi sundevil

I'm retired but if the girls were going to seek me out to join their loads been their done that. It would be for a warm up dive before they jump with the A team & their S.O. for the rest of the day.

However Amazon Is special I can really look up to that lady and her great attitude. I'd jump with her out of a airplane anytime. Even without a rig:$

R.I.P.

When does jump numbers substitue character or ability as a skydiver or a person?

Never so get over it!

If you're great in the sky but a dick on the ground.....I don't think I want to jump with you.

You got it right here, so don't worry about how the "dicks" treat you!
blue skies,

art

My question is about the people who are "unimpressed" with your jump numbers

I'm very unimpressed with jump #'s. I've seen people with 70 jumps outfly people with 300 jumps. And I know a couple of people with approx 500 jumps (give or take) that can outfly me.

I do know what your talking about and it's true that there a those that refuse to jump with people unless they have a bunch of jumps or a pair of breast. They are the minority.

BSBD
Larry

"If you can't land here you shouldn't be flying."

How about, he was looking for a skill set level and you more than likely didn't have the skills he was looking for? (Although he could have chatted longer)

Everybody knows of the 500 jump jumper who can out fly a 2,000 jump jumper. But the normal skill line is traced by jump numbers and type.

My point is just like life some people will be nice and others won't BUT not eveyone wants to do zoo loads on every jump. If your not known than your going to get asked questions like jump numbers until you are known by people who want to do "better" jumps.

Not that I would know anything about "better jumps" :P

Best advise, remeber how you felt as your jump numbers go up and act the way you would have liked!

I had a fello jumper ask how many jumps I had the other day.
72 I said.
"Oh, that's nice."

So maybe he just wanted to know your jump numbers.. and thought that it's nice that you already have so many jumps. (He probably remembers how it was with "not so many jumps")
Why do you think negatively about this? He wanted to get to know you, but maybe didn't have anything else to say. Maybe after couple of days he'll come back to you and say "Hey dude, high five! Whats up?"

And then you jump, bbq, drink, do wonderful things to each other... ohh that was another story.. ;)

As in, "you are the most worthlest speller I ever saw!"

My brother has a t-shirt that says, "Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!"

Read it carefully, you'll get it. :)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

In a social system we feel caught up in the value system of the society or subculture we're apart of. The funny part is, is that to "real skydivers," and I mean those who've jumped so long they've cleared their heads, you're you. You just happened to be someone making their way to them (experience.) What's cool, is that you can ask people for advice while others have to pretend they know then injure themselves. Me, personally, I like to know so I ask regardless of my jump number.

You're always the starter in your own life!

When someone new shows up to jump, I have my assistant "Crutch" do a couple of eval dives with them. He also evaluates them on things like appearance, posture, breast size and personal wealth. He then submits to me a written report. Based on his report, I will either do a fun jump with them or have them thrown off the DZ. Judging people by jump numbers alone is just stupid.
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver