Aviatsionne

What are your first landings like?

I've decided that I will pursue my AFF training when high school gets out in May, but I have been wondering how on earth can someone land a parachute on their own for their first time? Hell, it took me ages to learn how to land an airplane how can I land a parachute ;)
What were your first experiences like?

I did my first few jumps as a tandem passenger. The tandem masters did an awesome job of landing us softly and gracefully. They, of course, have a lot of experience. My first few under student canopies weren't horrible, but didn't win me any grace points-- like most, I flared too high, and overcompensated and flared too low. Thankfully, the student canopies were detuned and pretty forgiving. It's hand eye coordination and visual-spatial perception-- but mostly it's practice. If you can land a plane, you can land a parachute-- when it comes down to it, you only have to worry about the toggles in each hand, not flaps, landing gears, etc. etc. Everyone wants to look cool when they land, but pay attention and practice your PLF. If your flare is off, it'll come in handy.

Another thing to remember, you'll be on radio. Your instructor will give you advisement on what pattern to fly and when to flare. I know everyone has different experiences, but I stood up my first 3 landings practically on the x, followed with 2 PLFs and then back to a stand up. It can be done! Have fun!

Never go to a DZ strip show.

I've decided that I will pursue my AFF training when high school gets out in May, but I have been wondering how on earth can someone land a parachute on their own for their first time? Hell, it took me ages to learn how to land an airplane how can I land a parachute ;)

I was a pilot (ASEL, glider) before starting to skydive. Never had any problems landing. Your pilot training will be a tremendous help.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You'll be able to judge altitude.Practice a couple of times up high.About the same hight as you would start to flair a plane you should be in a flair.Think of it as landing a plane in slow motion.Easy for a pilot.Stood up my first AFF jump landing.Didn't do quite as well on the next 6 though:S
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

As it's been said, flight experience helps a LOT when it comes to canopy control. I wore a radio on my first jump, but the instructor told me with my flight background I probably wouldnt need it and he wouldn't say anything if I was doing alright. He didn't say a word. Course I didn't stand it up either, but came close. :)
The trickiest part to landing a parachute is judging flare height. Just like in a plane, look all the way down the "runway" and it gets much easier.

Dave

My first two were tandems. 1st Tandem, picture perfect...stand up landing....2nd....can you say off landing!?!?! Clouds moved in under us real quick after exit. We landed about .5 mile off in a muddy field...where we proceeded to butt slide in to a stop. Man it was great!!! :)

Well since I learned over 25 years ago with the S/L and under a T-10. I can honestly say that my landings sucked:S

I suggest going out to the DZ and watch some the skydivers land. It will give you a little more of a feel for it. Being a pilot helps too.]
Good luck, and listen to your instructors.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

mine were awful! I couldn't land a 9 cell on my feet if my life depended on it! There were a few times where the instructors were even shocked that i was able to walk around after landing. One day it just finally hit me on what to do.... go to a 7 cell ;)

i haven't really heard of other people having as much trouble as i did, but just listen to the instructors, they'll help you out. You'll get a good feel for landing, i'm sure:)
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Mine have been great. If you have pilot experience, it will come second nature to you. I've got 8 jumps, six are stand up. One was my tandem, and I ass slid one AFF landing, but not bad. I flared a foot or two high one time. Landing a parachute is much easier, and much more intuitive in my limited experience if you have airplane pilot experience. Just relax, and FINISH the flare. It takes some physical strength to do that, but pull the toggles to the middle of your crotch as you touch down. Your airfoil (parachute) doesn't realize the difference, and will deposit you back to Mother Earth as you left her.....screaming in terror :D:D:D

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

My first landing was an out-landing...limit/just over limit winds(butit was a soft landing because of this)..
we were told to PLF the first couple of jumps, and as soon as i convinced myself that those rolls weren't necessairy(i started doing them automaticly)i have stand-up landings (except my last freefall, strong winds, only got penetration at 100 feet, butt-landing --> very very soft, no pain at all, just some geese-shit),

when you focus on what to you you will get out just fine,
good luck

ps. don't despair when you don't stand up the first time

lol my first landing was so hard... i rolled for like 15 feet and it hurt very very bad...... second was not much better more like 10 feet of rolling.... but after that it has been great. I had a video done so i could figure out what i was doing wrong.... i didnt flare hardly at all, so now, i flare!! it helps.... obviously, and all my landings since have been really good.
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

My 1st landing was better than some today.
I was at Maytown and landed at the peas with no radio (2 jumper students in the sky) and the ground school is what did it (and a Buick/Manta).
where do you jump at? (I've met you before/C-burg?)

Timing the flare is probably the hardest part about actually landing for students. There's often an AFF instructor with a radio that can help you by telling you exactly when to flare. The key for you is to do it slowly and smoothly - don't pull down too fast, but pull down sooth and even and pull all the way to your groin.

My first jump was a tandem and we slid on our butts for 15 feet or so. My next jump was AFF level 1, and I bruised my tailbone on landing. The following week, I had to sit on an airplane for 30 hours on a flight to Singapore - with a bruised tailbone B| Most students don't hurt themselves landing during AFF, but it's definitely a possibility.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

B|....well, I am still a student with 17 jumps in....and i can tell ya that I have stood up only 5 of my landings..............when they say flare....FLARE!...and never forget your practice landing fall training.......as a student you will need it....but it comes.....just practice and learning to judge distance to the ground........in my progression now they don't talk to me on the radio unless need be...and I have been standing them up....trust yourself......but no matter how many jumps you have in.......you are still gonns slide in on your butt...or PLF....

blue skies and safe landings

skygirl1
" Mean people SUCK!"

Timing the flare is probably the hardest part about actually landing for students. There's often an AFF instructor with a radio that can help you by telling you exactly when to flare. The key for you is to do it slowly and smoothly - don't pull down too fast, but pull down sooth and even and pull all the way to your groin.

reply]

That's for the instructor to say. At DZs like SkydiveChicago that use higher performance canopies for students (SDC uses Sabre 2), the flare is not done that way.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.