taz9420

The Golden Knights (Tryouts)

Be in good shape for PT and know some cadences. Keep your damn mouth shut and don't "coach" your fellow tryouts. Realize that you are trying out to be a demonstration parachutist, not a member of a competition team. Understand that you will partake in peer evaluations every week. Know that even if they cut so many people that they don't have enough to meet their loss quota for the year, you are still not immune to being cut if you are a jackass. Keep a positive outlook and don't let any disdain for your fellow tryouts or the cadre show in your face, ever. Be prepared to work very hard......painting rocks and weeding runways at Laurenburg. Practice "real" target accuracy under a proper parachute so that you don't kill yourself or break your legs and tail-bone pounding in under a StarTrac (or PD 7-cell).

There are a lot of current/former GK's who monitor these forums and post here. There are also more than a few people who have tried and failed (or were not released from their units after completing the program). I am sure you will get plenty of responses from both sides.

Chuck
I tried out in 1990, made it to the last day and was pulled back to my unit because my branch (SF) would not release me. I was INCREDIBLY pissed.

Running 3-4 miles, 3 days a week @ 8-9min/mile pace is our norm. Eventually, we want to get between
8-10 miles (same pace). This along with weights 2x a week, and of course, canopy work (accuracy) on the weekends and holidays. Due to the expense of renting student gear (260sqft +) for each jump, we mostly do our accuracy's with our personnel sport rigs.

B|

Expect this thread to bite you on the ass....I was on the cover of Parachutist, and had a write up in Skydiving mag...

Both were brought up to me in my tryouts......

They find out shit on you that you would never even think of.

One person was given a picture from their home DZ. I mean THE picture of of THE wall from their home DZ.

when I went it was like a hazing to get into a Frat...Expect it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Do you make it? If so, how was your tour?

Nope, got the jacket and then they sent me back to my unit the day before graduation. I was only in the Army 9 mths total by the end of tryouts and they felt I needed more Army time.

Then I became a Diabetic (How the hell that happend I'll never know)...The rest is history, and so is the Army.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

That sucks. After all that. Why would they make you go through the entire six weeks and send you home like that? That is a mind F*#K if I have ever heard one. At least you got some free jumps out of it.

Alot of folks don't make it the first time...BTW I had 1500 jumps, and that was more than all but one of the Cadre.

But they had a point..I had been in the Army 9 mths to include Basic...And when I got to my unit, some jumers had arranged me a cush job, not really in my MOS....So I knew jack shit about the Army.

The GK's didn't like that, and I can't blame them.

lol understandable.....

odd question but anyways... i am goig to be commisioned in 2005 and was wondering if anyone knew of how the officers pulled that tour.... i know officers are dick heads and everone hates them, and yeah i guesse then you will hate... but anyways...
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

Also, you can either stay up all night and roll WDI's or you can just go take the 80-100 that they want each day out of one of the refrigerator boxes they have full of them and ‘recycle’ them;). Just make sure you roll a couple of good ones that you take to the DZ. There is hell to pay if toss one and it doesn’t work.:S

After the first round of re-painting the curbs on GK Blvd all night (and I mean ALL night) and being told it sucked. We decided to dump the paint and go to sleep the second night. The next day the cadre told us good job and that we should have done it that way the first time.:S

Pay the $1-$2 to have your boots polished for you.

Have one or three gas powered blowers to clean GK Blvd of pine tree needles (the street is line with pine trees). It will save you a lot of time than sweeping it every morning.

If they tell you to do something stupid. Just do it and act like it is a good idea and you are enjoying cutting grass with a swingblade as a huge lawnmower purposely doesn't mow near your AO because the cadre asked the drive not to mow that area.

In a word: Cheat.B| Or you won’t get any sleep and don't get caught.

Derek

I would like to take a moment to make an apology to the The Golden Knights for a statement I made in a earlier post. Whether I understand it, or not, they do things for a good reason. My wise-crack remark was not meant to criticize, but meant as general statement. Next time I will think before I type.
B|

you can't never get enough PT.

Whoa, that sounds like a challenge. I think someone is gonna push down a lot of NC ;) Just keep telling your self that pain is weakness leaving the body and it'll all be good.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger

You keep running your mouth...You are gonna be one STRONG muther fuker.

Stop while you are behind.

Hey, on the first day tell them you are there for "The Golden Knight Boogie!"

This year me and a friend will be submitting applications for this year's tryout/selection. Any advice on what to prepare for???????

B|

From my observation, they are looking for a good skydiver who can be a representative for the Army and leave an excellent image in the public's mind.

Ed

Linc,
Don't try to impress anyone with all of your skills or stories. Skydive the way they want you to, and listen to coaching and debriefs. They can teach a monkey to diamond track, they are looking for polite, respectful, professional soldiers, the cream of the crop. Remember when you go out to dinner as a team, they're watching how you act. Don't burn any bridges if you get cut, many young soldiers they won't take until their 2nd try out.
Tad
83-84 Black Team