jont

Anyone been hit by a hook knife or other debris in freefall?

Hmmm, with enough volocity relative to the object being struck, the light weight object can still do damage. Ever seen the picture of the piece of straw driven partway through a tree by a hurricane?

Heren lies the concept of a rail gun... very small particles (i.e. low mass) very high velocity.

Rail guns are cool.B|

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my unkle.

I agree that ojbect that have nearly no mass can cause serious damage. Just look at space dust and the havok it can wreak on a shuttle. Of course it is in a perfect vaccum and is traveling at speeds that are not possible on earth under an atmosphere. Were talking 10's of thousands of MPH.

So, unless you have a picture substantiating such a claim, I call bullshit.:)

I hit something with my foot once passing through 3500 just as I was about to pull. I swear it was a bird cause it hurt like hell. Do birds fly at 3500?

Saw a camera flyer once land cussing up a storm. Turns out he lost an expensive lens during freefall. A couple of minutes goes by and another jumper comes up behind him and says, "Hey, did you lose this?" He caught the damn thing in free fall. I was a student at the time and I thought that was the coolest thing.
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

I started a jump with a hook knife in it's pouch and snapped, but was not there under on the ground[:/] Have not replaced it until I figure out a better way to secure.

I can't stand jumping without a hook knife. Even though i have not needed one yet.
Use a small rubber band or small strip of gaffer tape to secure it . Practice removing it to see if it's easy and not going to get stuck or whatever.Don't slice your gear during practice... go slow.
I have video of losing a knife while back flying and also video of losing a disposable camera i had in my jumpsuit leg pocket.( back flying again) Was going to take still pics after opening.
Never keep stuff in your jumpsuit pockets (in freefall) if you don't want to lose them.
Jump tickets at Rantoul= heard of people losing a string of 20 tickets etc. in freefall.Don't be that guy.

I still have a cheap plastic one on the other leg, but I want a metal one to replace the left leg side. I have a thigh zipper pocket i put stuff in that has a flap to cover the zipper. No problems with it so far. Just with the Jack the ripper sheath that they sewed to the jumpsuit never held the knife over 5 jumps.

I guess we've all seen these before right?
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14858;
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14859;

Presumably this was a near terminal impact and the bird can only have weighed a couple of oz.

Objects that have come off your team mates may weigh more or less than this bird depending on what they are, but they will all certainly impact with much less speed (given that they are also falling, just slower than you are).

Thus I can’t see impacts being [I]that[/I] bad… but I’m not bloody well volunteering.

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my unkle.

I agree that ojbect that have nearly no mass can cause serious damage. Just look at space dust and the havok it can wreak on a shuttle. Of course it is in a perfect vaccum and is traveling at speeds that are not possible on earth under an atmosphere. Were talking 10's of thousands of MPH.

So, unless you have a picture substantiating such a claim, I call bullshit.:)

Okey dockey...
http://www.chesapeake.net/~fireman/_borders/Straw.jpg

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519