OnYourBack

Why do I have to make "FUN" jumps?

After flying the bus all day with that meat hanging in front of you...isn't it nice to jump your own gear once in while?

Sunday, late in the day this last weekend, we finally slowed down and I was able to get a fun jump in. Felt pretty good. First one in a few weeks. Felt cool to be able to fly in a sit and swoop the landing a bit.

Although I did miss being able to have a conversation with someone during the canopy ride.
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Okay, I've always gotten crap at my home DZ and now I've seen it on here. Why does it bother people if someone doesn't make "FUN" jumps? Why does it even matter to anyone else?

To keep current because flying with a drogue is different than flying without one, and as stated in the other thread, I've seen a TM that could not get stable by himself without a drogue. Now you say you can but then you said you don't fun jump so how do you know you can if you don't try it often.

I really don't care if you just to Tandems as long as you are a good safe TM instructor, but to me, a good safe TM is someone that can fly without a drogue and like I stated before, if all you do is Tandems, how do you know you can get stable by yoursefl without the drogue out.

Judy

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

If you don't like fun jumps, you should change your profile to read "Interests:doing tandems.":D

I love a fun jump if I have time at the end of the day. Even though half of my family jumps, with a wife and four kids, we often have something else we gotta go do. But the fun jumps sure help with the burnout factor. ;)

"if all you do is Tandems, how do you know you can get stable by yoursefl without the drogue out."

As I stated yesterday, a TI that uses the drogue to be stable is an exception. I know I can do it because I can fly a kicking and screaming newbie strapped to me stable before I throw the drogue. The drogue is not there for stability and if you use it for stability you are wrong! Can you point to any other TI besides the one you told your story about, that needed a drogue to be stable? I don't think, and I'm sure there are many other TI's who will agree that this is a problem that is common.

that needed a drogue to be stable? I don't think, and I'm sure there are many other TI's who will agree that this is a problem that is common.

What TM would admit that they need a drogue to be stable?

How do you know you can be stable if you don't ever jump without someone attached to you or with a drogue?

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

that needed a drogue to be stable? I don't think, and I'm sure there are many other TI's who will agree that this is a problem that is common.

What TM would admit that they need a drogue to be stable?
How do you know you can be stable if you don't ever jump without someone attached to you or with a drogue?

try doing a tandem with a tiny person and go drougeless for t bit.... small people will teend to make the tadem top-heavy and make it really easy to get on your back, and tough to get off of it.

have you ever made a jump as a tandem master? you don't have TI in your profile, i notice it's usually the people who have never been there who prattle on about how TI's don't know how to be stable.

i still funjump, but the impliction that TIs have it easier in the stability department just annoys me, and is utter bullshit

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

Judy

Because one would assume that they had aquired the basic skill of falling face to earth whilst attaining the minimum requirements to collect a tandem rating. If you have tandem masters at your operation that would give you cause for concern in that area, I would suggest that you review their ratings, rather than insisting they did fun jumps.

I do make solo jumps on occasion and stability is never an issue.

So you do make jumps other than Tandems. My apologies. You made it sound that you only do Tandems and leave.

Again from what I observed from a TM that only did Tandems for years and never did any jumps other than Tandems (until that last one when he flipped through is risers) was he couldn't skydive by himself, which I think makes for a bad TM.

I know of no other TM that does not/cannot skydive by themselves.

Judy

Judy

I am not a TM, have not nor will be. My KNOWLEDGE - of a TM (who does not jump anymore) who could not be stable with a drogue (stable meaning belly to earth). He made 1 "fun" jump in the 4 years I saw him do Tandems and flipped through is risers because he could not get stable.

What part of any of my posts have I said TM's have easier in the stablity deparment? People that put words in my mouth annoys me. That's utter bs.

Judy

Judy

Because one would assume that they had aquired the basic skill of falling face to earth whilst attaining the minimum requirements to collect a tandem rating

The TM I had observed some years ago does not jump anymore after he flipped though his risers on a "fun" jump (the first in years) after doing ONLY tandems for years.

He stopped about the same time they were going to make all TM prove they could fly as a coach (or something like that).

Judy

Because one would assume that they had aquired the basic skill of falling face to earth whilst attaining the minimum requirements to collect a tandem rating

The TM I had observed some years ago does not jump anymore after he flipped though his risers on a "fun" jump (the first in years) after doing ONLY tandems for years.

He stopped about the same time they were going to make all TM prove they could fly as a coach (or something like that).

Judy

Yeah. They all get weeded out eventually, just as the people who only do work jumps eventually burn out and leave. It's self correcting system in the end.

I'm not sure that I'd want to do fun jumps with either sort to be honest. Too sketchy, and not any fun, which sort of defeats the point when you think about it.

What part of any of my posts have I said TM's have easier in the stablity deparment? People that put words in my mouth annoys me.

it's basic logic.... if you weren't implying that TMs have it easier, then what was the point of this statement?

if all you do is Tandems, how do you know you can get stable by yoursefl without the drogue out.

It wouldn't be necessary because they'd be held to a higher standard of skill in stability.

in fact it's HARDER to gain stability with someone strapped to you, and the drogue should not be tossed
until it's achieved.

that's how they know they can be stable w/o the drogue out.

the problem you observed was a personal one most likely linked to poor technique. I don't believe it's indicative of guys who do only tandems, but do them properly.

Now, if you wanna talk degradation of RW skills, i'll likely back you completely.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

Why does it bother people if someone doesn't make "FUN" jumps? Why does it even matter to anyone else?

When you’re an addict you want everyone taking the drug with you right? People can’t stand to see you sitting around “not wanting to make a jump” THAT’S JUST CRAZY??? :S

Another angle is you often need everyone jumping to get the plane flying… once the tandems are done that is. So tired or not the tandem instructor may be the last person needed to fill a load. I look at it this way you know you’re experienced when the whining at the DZ doesn’t bother you anymore. I jump when I feel like it. B|

You dont have to make fun jumps.. but wouldnt it suck if your fun-jumper friends never asked you to fun jump with them?

I am friends with all of our TM's and AFF instructors, and I like to fun jump with them, just like I like to fun jump with my fun jumper friends. Its part of the bond of friendship between skydivers... actually JUMPING together.

But if you dont think its fun, then I dont wanna jump with you. :P

I do think its fun and I do enjoy jumping with friends. I was just curious what peoples thoughts were on the subject because when it comes up people refer to it like I have a disease. "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DON'T "FUN" JUMP!" And other than Judy's belief that it may lead to safety issues when I do "FUN" jump, there haven't really been any comments to make me understand the disdain in some peoples tone when the subject comes up.