chineseknife

holy cow

I took my first jump(tandem), this past saturday. I loved it. However, when the canopy opened, my stomach felt queasy. Once back on the ground, after about 10 minutes, I went behind the hangar and "blew chunks"(so to speak). Luckily, I neither ate nor drank before the jump. Is this normal? If I took, say, Dramamine for motion sickness, would it help with the queasiness? This may be the only thing keeping me from becoming licensed.

Yes, it's perfectly normal. I remember after my first tandem skydive, I felt nausious and sick. All those damn spirals (which I love now.) I didn't hurl, but it felt like it was close to coming to that. I told my buddy who went with me that it was fun, but not something I would do again. Two weeks later I was signed up for AFF!! ;)B|

Welcome to the sky!!

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

it was liquidy and green

:| OK.....

As I stated before....I am NOT a Doctor nor a instructor.......but it sounds to me like you reacted to the adrenaline from your 1st skydive.....as for taking medication before skydiving...ALWAYS consult a Doctor and your instructors before doing so!!

Jumping from a plane at altitude and free falling is not a natural act for most ppl......the adrenaline rush that usually comes from someones 1st jump can do all sorts of intresting things ....especially if you are not the type who has experianced such a major "rush" before....but if you think there may be more to it....Please consult with your doctor and instructors!

Ohhh...Welcome to Skydiving!! :)

from what my instructors told me, the adrenaline rush you get needs sugar to stop the queasy feeling. i never really got queasy, but a friend of mine did on her tandem and once she had eaten some sweets she said she felt much better....

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Firstly, you should have something in your stomach!

Literally every student I've taken on a tandem that has gotten sick is due to them not eating, plus the adreniline hitting their system.

So next time, have something on your stomach. If you have problems with motion sickness then dramamine might help.

Also, tandems are different then "regular" jumps since the canopy is attatched to the instructor's harness and you're attatched to the instructor's harness out in front the pivot point of the pair is behind you when turning. So it can be an unusual perspective. If you set yourself up to get sick, then you probably will (i.e. not eating).

So drink plenty of water (instead of beer, etc) the night before and have a healthy/fairly light breakfast before your jump (or lunch, whatever the case may be).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I took my first jump(tandem), this past saturday. I loved it. However, when the canopy opened, my stomach felt queasy. Once back on the ground, after about 10 minutes, I went behind the hangar and "blew chunks"(so to speak). Luckily, I neither ate nor drank before the jump. Is this normal?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes.
Most of the tandem students that vomited on me skipped breakfast.

I always encourage students to eat a light/normal breakfast before skydiving.
I also try to lead by example, nibbling on fruit and sandwiches in the middle of the day.

Next time drink a couple bottles of Hawaian Punch. It'll look great if nausea strikes again, like you're Bruce Campell in an Evil Dead flick.

But odds are it won't hit quite as hard next time. You probably had the adrenaline pumping from the minute you got in the plane. Next time it might start when the door opens.

I did a tandem after 139 jumps and the spirals got to my stomach only because I couldn't get my head back to see the horizon. Not to worry, just start student training and you will have no problems "blowing chunks"

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!