robertmicp

Packing class

I did a "packing" class to get my A lic. Packed a few of my own rig, but still pay a packer most of the time. The class I did was from an experanced skydiver (not a full time packer) becuause the regular packer that day was not availible and I was already up to 38 jumps still waiting for my packing class. I guess the bottom line is, Im looking for a "real" packing class either one-on-one or a day in class format. Im in N. CA so anything close would be great.

tia

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

It bugs me that people have to pay someone to teach them to pack. I've taught so many people how to pack and i never charge.

Me too.

Every now and then my DZ does a class and it annoys me. There are so many people floating around who will teach others how to pack for free its stupid that people are told to goto classes for it. Most of the ones I have watched people take don't really teach anything more than just someone teaching on their own.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

It bugs me that people have to pay someone to teach them to pack. I've taught so many people how to pack and i never charge.

I took the "class" - because I wanted to. It was informal. A rigger taught it after hours.

The class was free. Gratuity optional only to the rigger who donated his time off the clock... I thought that was fair. He has to feed his family too.

I took the "class" - because I wanted to. It was informal. A rigger taught it after hours.

The class was free. Gratuity optional only to the rigger who donated his time off the clock... I thought that was fair. He has to feed his family too.

I am a rigger. And i still think it's wrong to charge for a packing class.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I don't know if you were concerned that you did not learn the right stuff from this "non rigger" or if you just want a brush up, but I learned from a friend, and it worked for me. My DZ wanted me to take a class, but I didn't feel like driving down there during the week just to pack. Once you start packing, if you are unsure, don't be afraid to ask questions. People at my home DZ have been very helpful when I have asked.

Also, rock on to all those offering help... that is how it should be!!
It isn't what it could be, or it what it should be, it is what it is.

Packing should be adressed in your initial training curriculum. If your DZ is leaving it up to the student to arrange thier own packing instruction, then they,re dropping the ball. I aree with Skymonkey, packers are not always the best to teach packing.
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

isn't packing part of the initial instruction? Like AFF or whatever they're teaching these days? The jumpmasters/instructors should be doing more than just jumping with a studen, and packing is part of the whole instructional package. And a perfect rain/low ceiling/wind hold activity. By the time a newbie asks anyone other than an instructor - or just has to ask in the first place - I know something's lacking at the school. Teaching how to pack is part of the instructor's job description and part of what they're already getting paid for. So students are already paying to learn to pack and if they're not being taught - and taught more than the rudimentary stuff - then they're being cheated out of their $$ and should either demand instruction or a partial refund.

isn't packing part of the initial instruction? Like AFF or whatever they're teaching these days?

My two cents - since I just went thru a traditional AFF program... In the first jump course we saw how it was packed and how it worked, but we did not learn to pack it... In the AFF - I was working pretty hard on keeping track of everything I needed to learn in the sky. Learning to pack would have been overwhelming at the time... The few weather holds we had were productive and I was taught things I could argue to be more important to my well being than packing.

By the time a newbie asks anyone other than an instructor - or just has to ask in the first place - I know something's lacking at the school. Teaching how to pack is part of the instructor's job description and part of what they're already getting paid for.

The "A" proficiency card has 35 items on it... Many are not taught fully in the AFF jumps... The one’s that are taught well need more practice before someone should sign off. We students have a lot to learn and practice with coaches and solo after we are done with the formal AFF portion of our studies. Packing is one of them.

The instructors clearly made available the resources for us students, and other experienced jumpers were always there to help, give advice, and look out for us. At any given time there seems to be at least one AFF instructor in the hangar or on the plane – so I am asking questions to them all the time. They are glad to help.

I personally think the person who taught me how to pack, is more qualified than a few of the AFF instructors I worked with. Don’t get me wrong, I would trust all my instructors, but, there is always someone who is the most qualified… He has been packing since he was 14, jumped his own pack job on his AFF 1 on his 18th birthday, and years latter is now is a coach working towards his own AFF instructor ratings. Looking at instructors jump numbers on this forum, he has packed more rigs than most have jumped, and he is a good teacher. Also, as the rigger who packs most of the reserves – he has the best command of user errors across the whole DZ that have caused malfunctions that he has had to repack.

Just my two cents... It is about making sure the students have all the resources available they might need in the community, not trying to teach them everything in the first few jumps or within a specific curriculum, or with a specific instructor.

I had to pay $10/hr. (4 hour minimum) for a packing class at my DZ and the whole time, the guy I was paying was talking to some woman who was hanging out. I was really starting to get pissed because I would get to the next step and the guy wasn't even watching what I was doing and I would stand there like an idiot until I finally said to him, "Hey man, what now?"

I got very little out of that class. We had a poor weather day the following weekend and one of my AFF instructors who was signing off various completed tasks on my A license card asked me about my packing, and I told him about the bad experience with the class. He took me into the team hangar and spent a few hours with me going over packing at no charge! :)
I learned that things my first packing instructor told me were wrong were really a matter of preference. I tipped my old AFF instructor $40 for time spent with me and he greatly appreciated it.

The moral of the story? Some people are teachers, others are not. Make sure you get someone who is actually interested in teaching and supervising what you are doing and not just in it for the money.

If you are out there, thanks again Nicolai! You're great man! B|

I had to pay $10/hr. (4 hour minimum) for a packing class at my DZ and the whole time, the guy I was paying was talking to some woman who was hanging out. I was really starting to get pissed because I would get to the next step and the guy wasn't even watching what I was doing and I would stand there like an idiot until I finally said to him, "Hey man, what now?"

And - that is a perfect example of how it should not be done - in contrast to my previous post.

Sorry you had a rough time. That sucks.

I've seen a packing class done that charged a minimal fee, and I feel it was worth the student's money.
A packer (supervised by a rigger) spent three to four hours in the morning teaching the student how to pack and then stayed with them the rest of the day as they practice. That person also helped out the student throughout the week or month or however long it took the student to get it down. The students learned to pack and remembered it rather than just getting the general information. I dont feel you can ask someone to spend this kind of quality time with a student for free.

I don't follow your post.

Are you saying flat packing should be taught in a packing course, or just criticizing the packers at your dropzone?

does "real" packer mean they have their riggers ticket?

who should be teaching packing?
"And the sky is blue and righteous in every direction" Survivor Chuck Palahniuk

We charge $25 for packing class and I hate doing it. I takes a minimum of 2 hours for the initial lesson and 40-60 minutes for each pack job after that until they are ready for their test. In Canada a student needs ten pack jobs under supervision as well as tangle staightening ability. This works out to about $2/hr. I tend do do it because I am egotistical enough to think that no one else does it as thoroughly as me.
My experience is that many people will help a novice out for free until something more important (a load) comes along. Then they just leave the guy or girl looking forlornly around the hanger for someone else.
As far as non instructor-packers teaching, Michel St. Ange from Eloy popped by this summer and taught me how to pack again; I learned a lot.