Punky_Monkey

should I or shouldn't I have?

I listend to my instructors advice when I was buying my own canopy. Haven't jumped it yet..Still a student and have tons and tons of downsizing to do. Plan on taking a canopy course when jumping my own. But know I am second guessing the choice and would like some thoughts on it.

I have an exit weight of 125 pounds and bought a 120 triathlon.
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

Was that the canopy your instructors suggested? That's *just* a hair over 1.0:1 and I've never seen you fly your canopy so I can't say one way or the other if that's a good canopy choice for you. If the highly experience people around you that watch you fly all the time said "go buy a 120 Triathalon" then I'm going to have to defer to them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

What were you jumping as a student canopy? How much of a chnage is the 120 going to be?

Does your need to question the choice come from some mmisgivings regarding the canopy? Will this effect your confidence?

Typically, with smaller canopy sizes (135 and under) it's best to be MORE conservative with the wingloading.

Ask yourself the quesitons I've posed, and go from there. It is, after all, your choice.

The canopy I am currently jumping is a 215 falcon. Which is why I said I have tons and tons of downsizing to do. And will take a canopy control course. The radio coach I had when on radio said I had excellent flying skills for a "student". As far as confidence being affected I think I will be more comfrotable on that. Currently with the 215 I am backing up, and hanging all of the time. I am very fustrated with it.
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

My instructor's put me on a triathlon 190 at 247 out the door on jump 27. I just love it but we also have acres and acres of landing area with no hazards. At 156 jumps on this canopy and about 20 on Sabre2 190 I am just starting to touch their performance abilities.

For such a small canopy, that is a very high wingloading for an intermediate skydiver. Wingloading itself is not the "be all and end all" of canopy choice. Smaller canopies are considerably more responsive than larger canopies under the same wingloading.

This article will really help you out:

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/wingload.pdf

You'll need to read the whole article but the following section is the one which is seriously important to you:

4B. Lighter student graduates face considerably different challenges when they
start downsizing.

True, they will fly differently, but not so much I would think that it would be a drastic difference. Traithalons are one of the more docile canopies on the market in general. Say the same thing about a Stilleto 175 vs a 120 at the same loading and I will agree with you %100. I just don't see a 120 Tri loaded 1:1 as a big issue for light jumper once they (as stated in the first post) go through the downsizing sequence to get there. Should they go to it from 215 on their first licensed jump? Nope. But if in 20-30 downsizing jumps, I don't see it as a problem, as was the original question.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Im just asking, Do you think you can stand up the landing on that 120 triath on a no wind day in the back yard between the fence and the swiming pool without hitting the power line on your way over the street after the stress of realizing you screwed yourself by opening too low or not paying attention to the spot? Im just asking. Off landings can be a bitch, they can be a bigger bitch if your under a canopy that you don't have the ability to fly. I don't know you or your skills but when I talked to Scott Miller about what canopy was right for me, he asked me the aforementioned question. I let it be my guide.

Do you think you can stand up the landing on that 120 triath on a no wind day in the back yard between the fence and the swiming pool without hitting the power line on your way over the street after the stress of realizing you screwed yourself by opening too low or not paying attention to the spot?

We would ALL be jumping Parafoils.......

How do ya like it Johnny?

that is why I plan to slowly downsize and take a canopy course...Where I jump we have tons of fields, many outs...I accidently jumped a 235 (they changed canopys and never marked the rig...DZO was pissed) I landed between a hanger and plane on that one, new where I was going to land and no that plane was not running that day, but that was a tight spot for a student...I have had several off DZ landing with the canopy I am currently jumping....Crossing highways to land in a field...Over trees to make a field (learned how to move myself over to cross the shorter trees on that one)

I DON'T INTEND ON RUSHING THINGS...I am first thinking maybe the middle of summer on jumping it if the downsizing goes well. That means a minumin of 20 jumps on each smaller canopy..

thanks for everyones concen.
Punky Monkey

We would ALL be jumping Parafoils.......

Not at all. I am quite happy and confident in just this scenario under either my Safire at 1.35 or Stilletto at 1.51. And yes, on both of them I have been there, done that.

The consideration is a reasonable one.

If you either can not or do not know how to control your canopy into a tight spot, then you don't know how to fly your canopy. ...ANY canopy! Or, you are out of your range for that canopy.

Again, the consideration is a reasonable one.

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

As far as confidence being affected I think I will be more comfrotable on that. Currently with the 215 I am backing up, and hanging all of the time. I am very fustrated with it.

Have the same problem, I flew a Falcon 175 and broke myself on a Spectre 170. Going backwards under canopy also, but should have stayed on the ground if the winds were causing you to do this? I know backin up sucks but maybe that's the day to stay on the ground until you get more jumps under your belt.

****I have little experience but from my own backing up sucks, breaking yourself sucks worse. I was a good student too, conservative pilot. If you find yourself in a tough spot would you have a nice soft landing like under a larger canopy? Confidence is a biggie, I know it was scarry as hell getting back up in the air after breakin the hip.

I'd consult other coaches that have seen you fly and ask their opinion. Taking only one coach's advice when buying a canopy might not be the best idea. With the right downsizing progression and wingloading I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm working on getting down to my new Sabre2 150 and my exit weight is about the same as you. I'd talk to Scott Miller or another highly regarded canopy coach. I know because of talking to Scott, I decided that a 150 would be good for where I am at and get me to where I need to be in one piece. Just some food for thought.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I do stay on the ground very often...the coaches and instructors will say it's fine for me to jump, lower winds...Yes, they know I back up in winds...and I say NO, I am not comfrotable with the winds (I know how the canopy flys with me) and will stay on the ground. I have no problem with staying on the ground. There is always another day to jump.
Punky Monkey

Strange of all the things I mentioned that you respond to only one thing. That really wasn't the point of the post.

I'd make sure you check out the canopy downsizing articles on here and some other safety articles too. I know they helped me even under the 170. Can't ever stop learning, I hope the artciles and educated advice from able canopy coaches not just a jumpmaster help you along.

We all look for advice confirming what we want to do. Doesn't mean that's the best thing to do in the situation.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Whoever posted the links to the PD articles is a wise man/woman. I normally don't respond to these types of questions, but feel compelled to give you some direct advice.

Don't go that small. There is no need to go down to a 120 before you have a couple hundred jumps.

I've seen plenty of people who are 100-120 lbs. get hurt under 120s just because they got caught up trying to match wind loadings. The PD articles explain it clearly, but in short, because the air molecules don't get smaller as you downside, smaller canopies that are loaded the same fly faster than larger canopies. This isn't just a small mathematical amount, it a real difference that'll bite you in the ass if you end up landing downwind or are forced into a tight landing area.

Be careful, jump larger stuff - a 150 and eventually 135 - which you won't be "backing up" under, for a few seasons.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I know the problem... I am sure you bought yourself a fine parachute... but... I have learnt on this forum that there are other things as well you should take in consideration... the technical aspects of parachutes: smaller parachutes respond more agressively, seem to go faster, even if the wingloading is correct... I decided to downsize and to stop at a wingload where I feel comfortable with... and than buy a parachute... after having asked for advice on this forum. I was so eager to buy a parachute, but without any knowledge it is better to gain some experience. A person may prefer to fly with another brand, ... ... My instructor f.i. suggested I shouldn't buy immediately, but as I weigh 100 lds, I should buy a 120... you get the picture... after I asked for advice on this forum, he told me that he knows I am very carefull and don't like to rush into things and therefor he gave me the advice... but he agreed with things I read here: downsize, and even if you do things better than other students, you still are a student. The problem with people that learn easily is that they often take risks much easier...

So when he was talking to me about a 120, he was just talking about wingloading. Knowing my skills, it is possible to get there quiete soon, but imagine that I have difficulties in handling a 150, I should first do dozens, maybe 100s of jumps, before I feel like downsizing.

Well, listen to your instructor, but keep in mind the things you read here... it could be usefull and attributing to your general knowledge of canopies.

BTW: today I downgraded to a 190... and I loved it. But still plenty of downgrades to go... :)
-------------------------------------------------

No dive, like skydive... wanna bet on it?

For Punky_Monkey, I think the best advice I have heard hear is from bliston, but its up to you, although I think you will miss out if you don't go through a progression in canopies, purely as a method of trying different things and seeing what you like.