foreverfree

Personal/Actual Experience at DZs as professional Skydiver?

Can anyone(those who have personally travelled across several DZs) please share experiences or advice or suggestions about various DZs along the length and breadth of this country (USA) when it comes to finding suitable gainfull employment whether it be as :

1. packer
2. rigger
3. coach
4. tandem Instructor
5. AFF instructor
6. Jump Pilot

Any information as to Boarding and Lodging arrangements, living costs, facilities, etc...would be well appreciated...
Rates of Payment or Compensation as to the Services offered/rendered....timely or untimely payments....hours of flight time actually flown to that advertised...number of jumps actually done as instructor to that promised...etc...etc

Any particular issues that one has encountered as a professional would serve well for those of us who have to travel from season to season from DZ to DZ.

This is just to research the actual personal experience that one gets when one actually travels to work in a DZ as compared to what most DZs advertize on thier web pages.

Thanking you.
BORN FREE
LIVING FREE
FOREVER FREE
FALLING FREE

Ensure you have a sufficient bank account before starting your career as a professional skydiver.:o [:/]

Truely said from one that has learned from experience!

I don't remember you saying that when you were my student?:P :D

Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Ensure you have a sufficient bank account before starting your career as a professional skydiver.:o [:/]

Truely said from one that has learned from experience!

I don't remember you saying that when you were my student?:P :D

That was before I cutaway! :D

I once posted "what is the best dz to work at?" and go no response. none.
I'd be surprised if anyone actually posts anything publicly on this one...

good luck, and yeah, start with a nice bank account to fall back on.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Bank account is a very good statement.

The more ratings you have the more your worth.

And be very wise to were you go and who you work for if you are looking at a DZ ask about it.i.e. has anyone worked for these folks what can you tell me?

I'am sure you will get answers.
Good luck.
Do or do not

Always keep enough in your bank account that you can walk away from unscrupulous DZOs.
For example, if the DZO refuses to pay you for patches you sewed on student canopies, be ready to walk away.
If he puts you on the third string in the tandem rotation, be ready to walk away.

Info for Raeford, NC

1. packers here make ten dollars for tandems and five for student, rental, and up-jumper rigs on your own time. Pay is monthly for school stuff. Work is heavy on the weekends and sporadic during the week. Packers work for the school. There is a very-lucrative packing contract with the Golden Knights, but there are no open slots for those jobs as far as I know. The highest paid employee on this dropzone is the lead packer for that contract.

2. riggers are a dime a dozen here. Nobody gets more than $35 a repack

3. coach jumps pay $10 at the school, but there are a lot of people who do it for slot

4. tandem Instructors get paid $30, plus the extra $10 if they want to pack it. Busy on weekends, but sporadic during the week.

5. AFF instructors make $30, either side. Busy weekends, sporadic weekday work.

6. Jump Pilots do not make dick here and start out with a year of Cessna flying regardless of ratings or past experience when it comes to the skydiving side of the operation. We have a CASA 212, two Otters, a Twin Bonanza, and a wide-body C-182. A turbine-rated A&P with both Garret and P&W quals could probably do OK here.

There is no "staff" lodging here, but our RV park rates are incredibly affordable. We have 20 30-amp slots with water, sewer, and wireless internet. $60 a month total! The cost of living is quite low here in NC.

There are no benefits paid for any position on this dropzone.

If you plan on working full-time on a dropzone you need to know that, for the most part, it is a very spartan existence. The less qualifications you have, then more ramen you are going to eat. It is not a glamourous lifestyle and unless you have some other form of income then you had better be happy living in a beat-up trailer, or shacked up with five of your co-workers. Go to the biggest dropzones in the world and you will find the best, most world-renowned jumpers living in the RV ghetto in a beat up camper. Seriously.

Chuck

When layed off from an aerospace I went full time working at the DZ. Jumpmaster, packer, demo jumper, test jumper/rigger, gear sales, coach, loadmaster. etc.etc. made less then 20 grand,.........best job I ever had but the pay is not there for a real living. Very few people including DZ owners make alot of money.
But who's into it for the Money????

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

The only people that can do it with any kind of style are trust fund kids and people with retirement checks coming in.

The dropzone manager of my DZ is retired military, like Chuck. I'm retired Police, MJOSparky is a retired firefighter, etc.

My last jump was January 2. If I was dependent on my skydiving income, and not just malingering on my retirement and sponging off my wife I wouldn't be able to pay the bills this month.

If I was single and didn't have kids, though? I'd be working for McGowan at Eloy.

In a heartbeat.

;)

No, you don't have much style JP.:P

Like the "northside" JP, I have been malingering on my pension and sponging off my wife for quite some time. Working most every weekend I was in town last year I still only made $3400 at Raeford, but maybe that's because I don't race to be first in rotation. Ultimately, I decided to get a "real" job to pay off my debt and be able to afford more exotic boogies.

Chuck

I thought I had style! You know. Back in the day. I had NO bank account, but I had a van, a rating, and could pack real fast. Oh. And I sold a few T-Shirts here and there.

Somehow it's gotten way more complicated now. Bank account, married, child, mortgage payment, and PAYROLL!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I thought I had style! You know. Back in the day. I had NO bank account, but I had a van, a rating, and could pack real fast. Oh. And I sold a few T-Shirts here and there.

Somehow it's gotten way more complicated now. Bank account, married, child, mortgage payment, and PAYROLL!!!

You and Matteas are the poster children of "nogiveup" and "pursueyourdream". There aren't that many people who have the tenacity and character to live in an RV with their infants while Dad does what's necessary to become a jumbo jet captain and Mom does what's necessary to be a captain of industry.

I hope you both remember us little people when you are living in your house on the hill.

:)
And JP? You are both styling and profiling. Again, most full timers at places less big than Perris/Eloy/Z-Hills etc, can't do it with the bling that you bring.

:P

And JP? You are both styling and profiling. Again, most full timers at places less big than Perris/Eloy/Z-Hills etc, can't do it with the bling that you bring.

As soon as I de-shnizzlefy that statement, I'll thank you. I think.

:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.