Smeger

AFF hand signals

Generally speaking they're fairly universial...HOWEVER, each DZ tends to have their own take on a few of them and what they mean.

Let it go and don't learn something that you're going to have to unlearn later. That will cause more problems then it fixes.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There aren't that many hand signals, I think once the JM/I show them to you, you'll remember them.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

They are mostly the same for every AFF Instructor. ;)

As a matter of fact....

The picture of you is a good one for your Instructor to use also when you are doing good in the air! :)
Or, another application is to simply open your fingers so they are all straight.

This is the signal you get when you have succesfully completed your AFF jumps and it called "Case of Beer". :D

Good Luck!
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

i would wait.
i've jumped around to more than a few schools (not ideal or recommended usually... but i was in another state)... anyway, some of the same hand signals from dz1 were used only several meant something entirely different at dz2.
for example: pinky & thumb meaning "check your arms" now means "relax" ..... or shaking harness which meant "pull now!" at one meant "arch" at another.
i ran into this with other signals 4 fingers pointed inward, pointed finger, and another one (i forget which-- fist maybe?)
i'd wait until you find out how your dz does things to avoid confusion in the air. the signals are really easy to learn ... but relearning can mess with your head a little bit! just my 2 cents... for free:)have fun,
heidi
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

for example: pinky & thumb meaning "check your arms" now means "relax" ..... or shaking harness which meant "pull now!" at one meant "arch" at another.
i ran into this with other signals 4 fingers pointed inward, pointed finger, and another one (i forget which-- fist maybe?)

I hope your just confusing some of the signals from others that you were given, because if not someone using the signals as you distribed is seriously F**ked Up and giving the wrong ones from the AFFI sylibus. :S

the signals are really easy to learn ...

Very true :)

Keepin' it safe!
Ed

There's the story told at my DZ of an AFF instructor who'd lost a thumb in an industrial accident. He was giving a student a thumbs up for performing something particularly well, when the student pulled.

Whoops :$.

More correctly this would be a "thumb" up, right???:D

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

shaking harness which meant "pull now!"

Wow! I thought the common sign for Pull Now was index pointing. How do you shake harness on a release dive?

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I hope your just confusing some of the signals from others that you were given, because if not someone using the signals as you distribed is seriously F**ked Up and giving the wrong ones from the AFFI sylibus. :S

Keepin' it safe!
Ed

WTF Eddie were you trying to kill me during AFF?? Jesus Christ you didnt tell me everyone makes this shit up as they go along?!:P;)

Oh yea you used the ones approved by U.S.P.A.

http://www.uspa.org/publications/SIM/2004SIM/AppendixA.htm

Sorry I can't make a clicky, I am clicky deficient.

Phil

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

shaking harness which meant "pull now!"

Wow! I thought the common sign for Pull Now was index pointing. How do you shake harness on a release dive?

see! thats why i told him to hold off. but he's in the uk anyway... i'm not sure how different their system works (i haven't gotten the chance to sample an aff jump over there yet-haha)
good question though.
at that dz (spaceland) harness shake or if you saw your instructor deploy, both meant pull. i didn't learn the index finger signal until i jumped at perris, but they also use it at skydive houston.

Keepin' it safe!
Ed

nope, not confused. just different over here that's all. :)pinky & thumb means to check/fix your arms at sdh and a loose hand shake means to relax at both skydive spaceland and skydive houston.
sorry for the confusion:$
hey smeger, maybe check to see if your dz has their signals posted on their webpage.
cheerios!
heidi
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

I'd love for instructors from different DZs/Countries/Continents to confirm. I am a little concerned the hand signage is not universal...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

nope, not confused. just different over here that's all.
pinky & thumb means to check/fix your arms at sdh and a loose hand shake means to relax at both skydive spaceland and skydive houston.
sorry for the confusion.

Nope. I'd say confused. ;)

Ed

nah, it's easy to remember. :P
but at least you see what i mean. they aren't always the same at every drop zone.
plussssss he lives in the uk... they drive on the wrong side of the road!!! who knows how different uspa/bpa sigs differ.:D .::runs and hides::.

I'd love for instructors from different DZs/Countries/Continents to confirm. I am a little concerned the hand signage is not universal...

As others have pointed out, they are universal, but there are also some variations. The pointed finger meaning "PULL" is so standard that it is sometimes used by experienced skydivers dealing with a freefall emergency, such as an open container. The other signals sometimes vary a bit, but not much. The thumb and little finger extended seems to vary the most, sometimes meaning relax (as in chill out dude), or it can mean check your arms. I think in Texas it also has some silly sports connotation, like go Longhorns, or whatever. Texas is weird.

It's always a good idea for an instructor to go over every hand signal that might be used with a student the first time they work together. It's great review for the student, helps assure the instructor that the student remembers the material, and helps to prevent confusion in the air. If there is confusion, the instructor should be able to easily confirm the student version of the signal, then the instructor should be the one to adapt. Students shouldn't be expected to relearn hand signals.

I review hand signals and general procedures with another instructor the first time we work together too. It takes almost no time and gets us on the same page super fast.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Thanks alot for the info guys. I guess I'll just be patient and wait till I start the training. In the mean time I'll keep watchin as many mal vids as possible, just to help get a rough idea of the sort of things I could expect in an emergency. Thanx again! (DZ.com RULES B|)

[reply
I think in Texas it also has some silly sports connotation, like go Longhorns, or whatever. Texas is weird.

The longhorn signal is extended index finger and pinky. And t.u. is weird. ;)

I think I'll be wearing my UT shirt when I come up to meet y'all.... >:(
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706