lintern

Ever wanted to jack in your job, emigrate and work on a DZ ?

The pro shop (Square 1) @ Perris Valley DZ is looking for someone to work full time. Includes gear discounts. You have to be able to work on weekends.

I saw the flier in their window yesterday.

If anyone really wants a job at one of the busiest DZ's in the world, the opening is there.

i'll come next week if they can get me a green card.....
Never try to eat more than you can lift

...and it always rains for weeks when they come. ;)

Dom, frustrated by the rain??? I guess I will do a rain dance for you when I am out there next week right before I leave... I always miscommunicate with the gods though, and my rain dances always bring wind instead.:P

april of 2004 i quit! ... i only lack 6 more flying hours to qualify for CPL here in our country, the Philippines. it was always my dream to be a pilot... but when i got into this sport in 2000 out of curiousity, got addicted with it despite using condemned canopy with a capewell cutaway system and a dive exit on my 1st S/L jump and encountered terrible line twists... curse??? not until april 2004, i decided not to renew my PPL... but 6 more flying hours????????? yes dear.... i exit.... you're right... i;m never going back to that boring life. well, often times i missed flying but skydiving is different... do you feel the same way??? if i were to choose of getting sponsor again to continue my flying AND skydiving using old equipments?... i'd risk my life skydiving... that's how i feel for now... of course, my family is always my priority... and GOD as always on top of everything else...

i will be more happy if i'll be given a work in a full time DZ... i don't care if i work as a waiter, janitor, dishwasher, gardener... whatever.. i'm a Philippine Citizen and i am hardworking!!!

im poor and i skydive! Blue ones!

I really admire all of you people who can just give up good jobs and decide to live life doing what you want and love, in particular, skydiving. I wish I had those kind of balls, but I don't. It sucks.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I felt like that for the last 2 years at my previous job. Working like a dog so I can get enough money to keep on, but nothing else.

Finally one day I had enough, it was like -20 degrees Fahrenheit (in upstate NY) I heard about the Flight 1 canopy skills camp (with the PD factory team and Scott Miller) in Deland. I just pulled out the old credit card and said "I wonder how I'm going to pay for this".

I went down to Florida about a week before the camp, just so I would be current again. So, my main goal was to just make as many jumps as I could in that week, I got into Florida Sat. late afternoon, I didn't feel that great after traveling and the day was almost over so I didn't go jumping. the next day was great I made 12 jumps, weather was beautiful. I started thinking I was going to get like 80-100 jumps while I'm here, well the next 4 days were raining, windy and freezing cold. I couldn't believe it "can't I get a brake".

Meanwhile, I was talking to a friend, she told me that PD might be hiring a new Marketing "tour" Rep. Just the thought of it made my blood start pumping. So, I went and applied.

This was another side of skydiving that I never considered, I was thinking of getting some ratings and making a living at it, but at the same time I didn't want to get paid to jump out of airplanes. For many reasons, bad weather your not getting paid, or thinking "okay, 10 jumps and I'll be able to make my car payment", the other reason is I just love skydiving and I knew that if it was my job to jump I would lose interest.

So, after I applied I followed up every week for like 2 months (I'm sure they got sick of taking my calls:-) Finally I was called for a interview. Once again I'm flying to Florida saying "I'll hopefully pay for this later".
Another month went by, some nights I wouldn't be able to sleep just wishing I would get the job. Then I got the call "we're offering you the job" Those were the best words I'd heard in a while.

That was about 9 months ago, now I'm settled in here at PD. I have to say it's a fantastic job. I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing right now. I get to travel all over, meet great people every where I go, and just do things I never would have had the chance to do before.

Everything now has settled out, I'm making less money than before, but I don't care I'm having a great time.

I say go for it! I'd rather say "that was a bad idea" then one day be thinking "I wonder what if" There are no guarantees but it's worth the risk.

So, if your ever at a boogie and PD is there come over and say hi, I'll be the guy in a red shirt with a big smile (something I used to only do when I wasn't at work) If you want to demo a canopy or just go make a jump (I really love the full altitude hop and pops), stop over I love it all.

Take it easy!
Isaiah

The pro shop (Square 1) @ Perris Valley DZ is looking for someone to work full time. Includes gear discounts. You have to be able to work on weekends.

I saw the flier in their window yesterday.

If anyone really wants a job at one of the busiest DZ's in the world, the opening is there.

i'll come next week if they can get me a green card.....

How come you can't get a work visa using skydiving as your job qualification or a student visa for skydiving instruction? People come to the US with web design skills or graphic arts, microsoft network pros etc etc. There HAS to be less skydiving professionals than graphic artists. Only certain individuals have skydiving experience. Locol Junior colleges are filled to the brim with computer geeks.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I just have to point out that even though australia has nice weather there are not that many full time dropzones due to the fact we have less people in our country than America have in some states. And as the past two weekends have shown, we also get weathered out.

John,

I totally relate to how you must feel, except for the bad weather part since I live in Northern California. My issue is mostly how can I keep funding myself for 15 jumps a month being a full time student.

I plan on getting a tandem rating when I hit 500 jumps and a "D" license and using the money doing tandems to pay for AFF ratings. I have enough jumps for a "C" license and coach rating, so I am going to work on getting those this summer. First things first, right?

Keep the faith. Take the action.

In my opinion, you wouldn't have trouble finding full time work at DZ in California or Florida since the turnover rate is pretty high. But a lot of the instructors I talk to say it is best to do skydiving instruction part time, and have a "real" job the rest of the time to avoid burning out in this awesome sport. But there are those who skydive full time and love it still. Different strokes for different folks.
-Brad

looked into becoming a pilot but to do it for a living you need to get a commercial pilots licence.

And that's a big problem - because it costs about £60,000 for the training.

If you are interested in helicopter flying: there have been a lot of Europeans that have come over here to get a commercial license and stayed to work. It's cheaper to get a license here. Most went on to become an instructor to get hours and then went to work flying offshore or ems (there are a lot of foreigners flying offshore Gulf of Mexico). I also saw some guy from Germany working for Southwest (fixed wing) when I jump seated to work

Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

> It took you all of eternity to arrive on this planet.
>When you exit, you're never coming back - ever.

>At best, with a lot of luck and good grace - you
>might get 75 years on this planet.

>Whatchya gonna do with it?

Eeeeeeee ... That's the question all right :-) :-)

Skr