Orange1

Anyone switched from SL to AFF during progression?

This is a decision I've made. Nothing at all to do with believing AFF is superior, but rather logistics - the DZ I use is small and open weekends only, if i'm lucky i'll do 2 jumps a day. i have other commitments on a number of weekends and with the weather turning (nastier) i figure it could take up to 4 months (!!!) just to get off progression. So, i've booked a week off work and am doing AFF at a closer, busier DZ that's open every day, and should be off progression by month end... hopefully. So the main reason is to get towards my A licence faster.

Any hints from anyone who's done the switch about what to expect? i'm a bit wary of overconfidence - for example, i've basically lost any door fear i had, etc so i think it should be a bit easier for me from a "sensory overload" experience... am i too confident here? Does having done SL help or hinder me?

To be honest I also feel a bit like I'm "stepping back" - i've already done a free-fall on my own, now i need 2 instructors holding on to me? :P

Two other girls from my DZ have done the same thing, but for different reasons. One just couldn't get through the 5-second delay, the other had done 15 SL jumps and was ready in terms of manoevres but mentally couldn't psych herself up to do a F/F.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I personally just did AFF, but a guy on my AFF course had done some static line and switched for the same sort of reasons to you.

I dont think he had done as much as you but still they sat with him talked through what he had done and what he still needed to work on and then merged some of the AFF levels together.

He still had to start with two instructors to make sure he was ok in the air but then they progressed him much faster.

I think he did two less jumps than normal AFF then on to consol jumps.

Good luck and enjoy

I made the switch from SL to AFF for roughly the same reasons as you. I realled wanted to go to a boogie at another dropzone, but I was only doing my 10sec pulls in the SL program, and thus could not go the full 13000 feet that was required to participate in the boogie. I took the 7 AFF levels in 2 days, and I must say that I'm really glad I did it.

I found it very helpfull to have the two instructor by my side, not so much because I was scared that I could not get into a stable position, but more because they were able to help me correct the small errors I was making.

I think having done SL might help you a little with the "door-fear" you mention, but what I really found out helped me, was that I had more experience with flying the chute that the other AFF students. I could concentrate on just doing the program in the fall, and not so much about what to do after the opening. That helped me a lot.

I'm glad I changed to AFF (although it was very expensive doing 7 jumps in two days:( ), and can only recommend it to everyone who can afford the price.

Good desision.

When you get to that closer, busier DZ, please tell Mark, Pete and Anton that "Tonto says "Hi" and asks that you please take good care of me."

Generally a few SL jumps are not a bad thing. They help with confidence under canopy, and that in turn frees up brain space to focus on the skydive.

Let me know how it works out for you - and enjoy the view.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Generally a few SL jumps are not a bad thing. They help with confidence under canopy, and that in turn frees up brain space to focus on the skydive.

I feel my static line training not only taught me canopy control (under rounds) but was excellent experience in training rip cord pulls, spotting and confidence in launching from the aircraft solo. Also altimeter awareness from 5 second delays up to 15 second delays with progression at your own speed.

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

I switched over. But it was after i had completed all my SL jumps and was on the delayed freefall portion. I just wasn't getting the attention i needed from the instructor in the air, so i switched to AFP (kinda like AFF). Best decision i ever made. Good luck to you.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

1987 - Got to 10 second delays on SL, then moved to level 4 AFF. It worked well and we finished quicker that way.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hi Chantal

I made the same switch you are planning, and for me it was definitely the right thing to do.

Regarding your questions:
I found that door fear was not really a problem, having gone through the SL progression. But I would say that you should be very careful of possible overconfidence, it's a real risk (and I had to redo one of my levels as a result).

The experience of doing a freefall "on your own" on the SL programme is very different from AFF. On the SL programme all you have to concentrate on for the first few freefall jumps is stability and pulling on time. AFF jumps provide a whole new level of complexity and tasks that you need to perform.

You are definitely not "stepping back". You are gaining two sources of valuable direct feedback and great learning opportunities. That's the real strength of the AFF route - you get one on one feedback and my learning curve was definitely much better because of it.

Also do yourself a favour - if the option exists to get video of your AFF jumps, definitely go for it! The opportunity to actually see what you were doing on the jump and what your instructors are talking about during the debrief is invaluable. It will help your flying, and if nothing else it will be something for you to look back at and giggle when you are flying like a pro in a couple of hundred jumps time;).

I have checked your profile and if I read it correctly, then the small DZ you refer to is the 'Dal. Were you aware that AFF is also an option there?[:/] I did my AFF at the 'Dal and it only took a couple of weekends (plus you get to enjoy the great braai and party after the beer light comes onB|)

It sounds though like you have already made arrangements to do AFF at Delta, so good luck and here's hoping you have that "A" by the end of the month!:), I have had quite a long walk getting back to the DZ after having landed off there.:$

Good luck
Bradley (a.k.a Tequila)

tequila!

how's the arm?;)

AFF - delta was recommended to [the girl with pink hair? what's her name?] cos the dal sometimes has hassles getting 2 AFF guys on site - anyway i'm happy to try it out and and yes they video the jumps for debriefing, and by doing it in 10 days solid (incl weekends), if i'm lucky and the weather is kind i might get the ISPs done that week as well.... so that was my thinking. The dal will still be home :)

Got past 15 sec delays in SL and then went to AFF(moved to FL, they only had AFF here).

Benefits:

I absolutely 100% knew I could exit the plane, deploy my own parachute and land it completely on my own.

Worries I had:

I hadn't ever read my alt during freefall(the delays were counted), was sort of worried about whether or not I'd be able to see it(silly I know).
Was a little worried about jumping from so high up(was used to 3-5k exits) and whether or not I could maintain stability for so long a freefall.

But it was nice being able to focus 100% on the freefall portion of AFF and not need to worry about the exit, deployment and landing.

I think it's a nice progression really - do static line instead of the first 3 AFF levels, it avoids some of the expense and also less of a load on jumpmasters.

Once cleared for one jumpmaster, do the single jumpmaster levels to get close coaching and a faster learning curve.

And on SL, you do get to focus on exits and canopy for a while more before having more freefall requirements.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

hey Orange1!

I started with static line and was doing 15 sec. delays, but once I got back to OK for college, I did like 3-4 15 sec. delays and switched to AFF. They didn't have AFF back in South Dakota, and when I came to Oklahoma, they noticed me bringing my feet up my butt on my delays, and suggested AFF to correct the body position.

I was happy to switch to AFF, felt like I learned so much more in a shorter time, and since I had done jumps from lower altitudes, jumping at 12k was awesome, I loved the altitude!!!
I felt like jumping at a higher altitude in AFF gave me a longer time to correct my body position. I personally feel like AFF gave me the time in freefall that I needed, to feel my body position. I'm sure you will love the switch, have fun! ;)
Sarah

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I did kind of a hybrid because I was having problems with stability on my 5-second delays. I switched to AFF, did (I think) five jumps in the middle of the progression to work on confidence and stability, then switched back to static line at 45-second delays to finish out the progression (and of course, I did eventually have to get one of those clear & pulls done right).

It worked well for me because it got me over that hurdle I was having early on, and switching back to static line gave me more options for instructors to work with at my DZ.

At any rate, it took a few more jumps (and I had some repeats in there, too) but we basically followed the ISP and I got everything on my A license card knocked out. I think the first few static lines really helped me feel comfortable under canopy since that was the primary thing that I focused on for the first few jumps.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yeah, the arm and shoulder are both much betterB|, in fact I've already been skydiving the last few weekends (and enjoying some of that Mexican firewaterB| but staying away from the runway and spudguns).

I'm glad to hear that the 'Dal will still be your skydiving home:)
If so, look me up and we'll definitely do a jump together (Uhm.... by the way, how well do you arch:P - I've been called a "fast faller" in the past:$ so we may have to work on equalising those fall rates, but it'll still be lots of fun, I promise:P).

Cheers
Bradley

Well, I just wanted to give you an update. Thanks for all the feedback above - and the comments about being in control re door fear, canopy control experience and confidence in solo exits were spot on... (Though my first landing was a no-wind overshoot into the trees Tequila warned me about above!! But I was fine and the instructors were cool about it, cos apparently everyone lands in the trees at some stage, and all the rest of the landings were fine.)

It was brilliant being able to just focus on the dives, and for that reason I'm really glad I did the S/L stuff first. I went through the programme with no repeats - though the instructors did not, like some of you have mentioned, want me to merge or skip any levels. AFF is 10 levels here (3 2-instructor, 4 1-instructor and 3 solos). With 3 days out due to weather, I still managed to do it all in a week.

The first level was actually pretty awful, and I think in retrospect it was because my 3-second delay freefall off S/L was absolutely nothing like a real freefall from altitude! I was more comfortable on 2 & 3 and started having fun from level 4, for some reason got really scared about level 7 (which ended up going brilliantly) and absolutely loved the solo jumps. The hop'n'pop was easy cos I'd done it before, but I don't know if any jump I ever do will again match the feeling of my first solo from altitude :D:D:D. Talk about a natural high in every sense of the word!!