achowe

4-Way launch from Skyvan

Tailgates are really easy to exit from. Stairstep Diamonds and even rounds just launch right off and its really easy to hold a heading too. Back to the gate people need to drive with their legs, divers need to keep their feet up for the first little bit then they can start flying. Diver's don't need to be super aggressive on the dive, just a push off is all thats needed.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Can anyone suggest an effective launch of a 4-way from a Skyvan? I've heard it's not so easy.....

My limited experience is that its VERY easy to launch a 4 way out of a skyvan. Even for a low timer like myself.
__

My mighty steed

Well, I know form experience that you can funnel a 4-way out of a skyvan...:$ but that said it is pretty easy if you think about two important Exit factors: Timing for the group and get your chest into the wind.

The funnels I have seen is with the inside people "hoping" off the tailgate then not getting their feet up /head down to get chest into the wind.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I dont see how an Otter compares to a Skyvan though?

By the looks of where he jumps, those are just the two planes he has most experience with. I guess he's just partial to the meeker in general. :D

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

I was just suggesting that it is a good formation for many types of planes. The year my 4-way team won collegiate nationals, we launched a meeker out of the back of a skyvan every round. We then would transition to the first point on the hill. We did all of our practice jumps out of a twin otter, and we decided it was better to launch something that we were confident we wouldn't funnel vs. something that may give us an extra point.

Stairstep Diamonds and even rounds just launch right off and its really easy to hold a heading too.

diamonds? wtf

It's real easy to do a train or a flower with 4 people in the skyvan. B|

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

It's pretty easy if you all leave at the same time ;).

A Satellite is a pretty good exit to take. Put the pin across the line of flight, and those doing the sidebodies just step (not jump!) off.

Skyvan exits can go very steep, so if you have anyone diving, make sure they're aware that they may need to put their legs up their arse.

Have fun B|.

Can anyone suggest an effective launch of a 4-way from a Skyvan? I've heard it's not so easy.....

It's incredibly simple to launch most formations "grips complete" off a tailgate. You can just basically walk four-way rounds off the airplane with high grips; two facing inward and walking backwards to the ramp/drop-off and two side-by-side walking towards the back. Positive legs for the floaters and feet on the butt for the divers.