Does anyone else get "The Fear" at sub 1000ft?

I jump an older Vector with the legstraps that have snap connectors, and whenever I'm spiralling down I think, "I wonder what would happen if one of them opened NOW?" But usually, I'm more nervous on the ride up, until 1000 ft.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Every now & then after breaking off from a formation & tracking, if I find myself right directly over some familiar landmark (like the packing hangar or what-have-you) the thought will enter my mind briefly that if I get absolutely nothing out, I will SMACK right in, RIGHT THERE.... X.

Hasn't happened yet though, knock wood! ;)

Every now & then I'll think the strangest things at different intervals sometimes too. Like what if I were wearing women's underwear today, just for some sort of sick joke, and I pounded myself in? Hmmm.... :o:):P

But I digress...

No worries, your fleeting thoughts, unless you ever find yourself either freezing due to them, or fixating on them to the point you can't function, are otherwise perfectly normal. ...Relatively.

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

yeah sometimes i think whoaaa if my canopy just fails somehow thats a bloody long way down, then i think 'i wonder how much effect a plf would have if the reserve didnt open' lol but its just a quick thought every so often and i fully trust my gear not to 'fail' once its opened :S

but sometimes i also think in freefall at about 4 or 5 grand - shit this is really fast - because thats when i can see the ground actually getting BIG

but i do think it is good to be aware of these things, like a reality check i suppose, although i do not think of these often its good to know i have still got some senses left ;)
-------------------------------------------------------

if you wanna see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain

I have the most fear from the time the plane starts rolling until we hit 1200 feet, because you're really out of options if there's a major problem. Under canopy, I worry the most about someone getting in my "blind spot", either right behind me or right above me, because it's impossible to both land and check your 6 at the same time. For some oddball reason, once I'm under a good canopy, i don't really worry about an equipment failure. I figure if it just took 5 or 6 G's on opening, it ain't gonna break now. I made sure I bought a step-through though, I never did trust those legs snaps. ;)
Fear is good, it's what keeps you checking your equipment before you take the big plunge.

I check my yellow cables and handles. The yellow cables going through the white loops are at about eye level so it's a quick check. Then I feel my handles in the harness to make sure they're in place.

This is a good idea, and something that I dont do on a regular basis, but should.

**Makes mental note to check handles after opening from now on**

Every now & then I'll think the strangest things at different intervals sometimes too. Like what if I were wearing women's underwear today, just for some sort of sick joke, and I pounded myself in? Hmmm....

Uh.....Well.....OK
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I started skydiving with the capewell cutaway system. I wouldn't say I have fear below 1000 feet, but occasionally I will glance at those little teeny pieces of 550 cord in the 3 ring system at low altitude and think; "You have got to be kidding!!! That's all that's holding me up here"!!!

:ph34r:

Ed