namgrunt

USPA/NON USPA DROP ZONE QUESTION

The moonshine from the USPA regulated stills won't make you go blind....

I can't think of a reason. I've jumped at Skydive Greene County which isn't a USPA dz (unless that has changed).
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

It is my understanding that you would be covered since it is one of the individual membership benefits. I don't see any exceptions listed on the website. As long as the jump isn't illegal you should be covered. Hopefully someone else with more experience will be able to elaborate. Good question!

Remember, non-USPA dropzones aren't necessarily any more or less safe than the rest. My $0.02.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

West Tennessee Skydiving is a non-USPA Member DZ, and I've jumped there many times. You'll be covered as long as you follow the BSRs and FARs...

That's as far as I know.

Now, the only time I can think of when USPA refused to cover an accident was when Charlie Mullins bounced off the concrete tarmac under a double malfunction when he was 12 years old or thereabouts. He already had a ton of jumps by then, but because of his age, USPA wouldn't cover his accident.

It wasn't all bad though, he only cracked a wrist! Tough kid... ;) It was a long time ago though...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Now, the only time I can think of when USPA refused to cover an accident was when Charlie Mullins bounced off the concrete tarmac under a double malfunction when he was 12 years old or thereabouts. He already had a ton of jumps by then, but because of his age, USPA wouldn't cover his accident.

You're making it sound like the USPA covers damage to jumpers from jumping, you know, health insurance. That's NOT what the USPA covers.

Lets say I fuck up a swoop and hit the tail of a parked 152 on the ramp. The USPA would cover the repairs of that C-152, but the repairs to my ass wouldn't be, its up to me to have my own health insurance.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Lets say I fuck up a swoop and hit the tail of a parked 152 on the ramp. The USPA would cover the repairs of that C-152, but the repairs to my ass wouldn't be, its up to me to have my own health insurance.

However, if a fellow skydiving USPA Member owns the C-152; is it covered?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

OK... now I'm going to have to check.. I was under the impression that if both parties were members of the USPA, that it would not apply. Kinda if one skydiver hit another skydiver's car, that it was between them.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

>However, if a fellow skydiving USPA Member owns the C-152; is it covered?

This has happened a few times; there was some discussion over whether to try to collect the insurance. One case was the wingsuit vs. Perris otter about a year back. IIRC they did not pursue it.

OK... now I'm going to have to check.. I was under the impression that if both parties were members of the USPA, that it would not apply. Kinda if one skydiver hit another skydiver's car, that it was between them.

There was a very brief limitation on member to member coverage many years ago. The restriction didn't last long, but the memory of it did.

We had a visitor to The Ranch slam into a parked airplane owned by a USPA member just a couple of years ago. I remembered the restriction and told the aircraft owner that the damage would probably not be covered, but offered to contact USPA on his behalf anyway. The damage was covered. USPA does NOT provide coverage to aircraft or property involved in a jump, so damage to a jump plane being used for jump operation is not covered, but damage to a parked jump plane should be.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

The USPA group member program is a complete and total scam. The only reason dropzones *PAY MONEY* to become a group member is for the sake of promotion.

They can have a much more expensive student progression program for AFF students. Non USPA DZ's require a 7 jump program while USPA DZ's have every jump planed until you get your "A" license (25 jumps) They make double the money, period.

It's all bullshit. It would be different if the USPA actually had some system of auditing these group member DZ's but that never happens. In no way are group members safer than non-members.

well would a uspa member be covered at a non uspa dz if they needed the liability insurance?

Read the part on your USPA membership card. It says "while the member is jumping at a sanctioned drop zone."

Problem is it does not say sanctioned by whom.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The only reason dropzones *PAY MONEY* to become a group member is for the sake of promotion.

Wrong!

Ever try to get insurance on a jump plane? A lot of times the underwriters requires a USPA membership or the rates go WAY up. By the way, you can't really shop around for insurance on a jump plane either, there are only 3 underwriters (if I remember correctly there are only 3, I know there aren't more then 5).

They can have a much more expensive student progression program for AFF students. Non USPA DZ's require a 7 jump program while USPA DZ's have every jump planed until you get your "A" license (25 jumps) They make double the money, period.

Uhh...the ISP isn't required, there's a short 2 page card that is more often then not, filled out at the completion of the DZ's individual student progression.

You know, I got my license under the pre-ISP system, then it took me a long time to warm up to the ISP. What did it for me was seeing students with 20 jumps that had good coaching and good instruction with the ISP and the coach system that were better fliers then I was at 100 jumps.

Its all about the DZ's commitment to excellence in their coaches and instruction staff. For instance, if you have your coach rating don't expect to be a coach at my DZ. You have to either be a very good flier or had gone through SDU and be a good flier. You also have to teach exactly what the other coaches and instructors teach so we have a seemless program between instructors and coaches. The end product are students that are incredibly knowledgeable and good fliers for their 25 or so jumps.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."