nerd137

Highest Number of Jumps Before 1st Cutaway?

I'm curious about this. Now, I'm pretty sure there was a thread on this topic a while back, but I can't find it! (If anyone else can, please post a link for me.)

If that other thread was just a figment of my imagination (totally possible), I'm really curious to hear from people who did a totally obscene number of jumps before having their first cutaway or still haven't had one at all.

I had about 1600 jumps before my first and only mal. The pilot chute came over the leading edge and then back through to pinch it off on the left side.
I at first thought I had a line over.:|

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Are tandems more likely to have a mal?
Did I just hijack this topic?

The joke when I got my Tandem rating years back was "It is not "IF" but "WHEN" you will have a tandem chop" SO I think there is some level of belief that tandems will get you a function more often. With the size of the canopy it seems the two most common functions are line overs from sloppy packing and tension knots probably also from sloppy packing..
To put another twist on it, in the lst 5 year snapshot of my skydiving time, I have 3 tandem functions and 1 (a spinning mal) on my sport rigs. Maybe there is something to do with it. Each Tandem function was from a DZ packer, not my own pack.. I blame packing and sloppy packers trying to get the extra $10 ;)

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

It gets difficult to be in the air that long without a problem. I dislike the idea of thinking I'm getting too comfortable. Never underestimate in this sport imho. [:/]

Talking about getting to comfortable. I hadent practiced EP's for a while an maybe getting a little blazé,
trusting the fact that my canopy always opens nicely (sometimes end cells closed, but thats my packing)
When yesterday it bite me, It opened with a fast right hand dive an took four revolutions before I could
straighten it up to level flight using the back riser, (I didnt reach my hard deck)

On my next jump you can guess what I did, Practice EP's.

As Ive always maintained, People do start to get comfortable till they get bitten.

Gone fishing

Someone's bound to know his name but I'm pretty sure there was a French accuracy jumper who put over 10,000 jumps on the same Stratocloud without a mal.

I remember seeing a picture of him quite a few years ago and he jumped into his 70s I think.