dvdcoon

Getting a job at a DZ

It's been over a month since I interviewed for a manifest job at this big DZ. I couldn't hold out forever so I took another job. No regrets so far. I got a good job with decent pay and benefits. Now the DZ owner calls me back and inquires if I've found work, and if I would still be interested working at the DZ. I promised my new boss I'd work there for at least 6 months so working FT at the DZ is out of the question for now. I'm also working my balls off with all the extra hours my employer has to offer. I'm wondering if it's even worth it for me to work PT at this DZ. I don't mind working 7 days/wk until I can get A licensed and geared, but it's a 100 mile round trip to this DZ. What can I expect working at this kind of place? Could it make my training cheaper or better in any way? Do you think they would let me stay the night for free if I have to work two consecutive days, such as a weekend and not want to ride back home at night? I know I should be asking these things to the DZO, but I don't want to sound bitchy or cocky on the phone. What's it like working and living on a dropzone?

It's been over a month since I interviewed for a manifest job at this big DZ. I couldn't hold out forever so I took another job. No regrets so far. I got a good job with decent pay and benefits. Now the DZ owner calls me back and inquires if I've found work, and if I would still be interested working at the DZ.

IMO, because it took over a month for the DZO to get back to you after the interview, that shows a lack of respect towards you.

I got a good job with decent pay and benefits.

You won't be getting that working at a DZ.

Could it make my training cheaper or better in any way?

No.

Do you think they would let me stay the night for free if I have to work two consecutive days, such as a weekend and not want to ride back home at night? I know I should be asking these things to the DZO, but I don't want to sound bitchy or cocky on the phone. What's it like working and living on a dropzone?

You're right, ask the DZO those questions. IMO it's how you ask the questions that will make you look bitchy or cocky. Tell the DZO that you are weighing your options, and have a few questions.

If you are busy working at the DZ, when do you plan on getting your jumps in? I worked full time as an office manager at the DZ, and because I was working, I wasn't jumping. When I did get a day off to go and jump, I was always dragged back into the office to do some thing:S

Stick with the job you have now and just go out to the DZ and pay for your jumps. Let them treat you like a customer. Sometimes the employee of the DZ that is going through their training, is the last to get into the air, because they aren't paying full price or bringing the cash to the books.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

i hear that there is at least time for restroom breaks, thats a plus to working manifest. Anyways, in regards to the questions,

I would not work manifest hoping to get more jumps in, they tend to work long hours and if your jumping then whose working. If your looking to work for jump tickets, what about packing?
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

If your looking to work for jump tickets, what about packing?

Most times the cost for packing is included in student jumps. Once they are off student status and working on getting their A license, then the cost of packing is included in the rental price. But it could be different at different DZs.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

If you promised you would work at least 6 months then honour your word to your employer, you made the commitment. Thats why i am very careful when commiting to any sort off action as i always follow through and people that know me know this. Old school ethics build your cash up from your job and use it to fund your licence and gear

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

but it's a 100 mile round trip to this DZ. What can I expect working at this kind of place? ... Do you think they would let me stay the night for free if I have to work two consecutive days, such as a weekend and not want to ride back home at night?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Any decent DZO will offer employees a discount on the bunk house.

My opinion - Keep your work and your recreation separate.

If you want it to continue to be recreation, this is good advise. How many full time instructors do you see make fun jumps on the weekend?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

then the cost of packing is included in the rental price. But it could be different at different DZs.

At the DZ that I jumped while renting gear... we only had to pay for the last pack job since it was required to be packed by a dz packer. The rest of them we could pack for ourselves (assuming we wanted to save the 5 bucks for a sport pack...)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

IMO, because it took over a month for the DZO to get back to you after the interview, that shows a lack of respect towards you.

Yeah, that's one way of looking at it. The best part was last week when the dropzone newsletter was sent to me through email by the new manifest girl introducing herself to that dropzone community.

I'm not upset about it. I have zero manifest experience, but the DZ owner still considered me. I had just moved out here and then read the ad in DZ.com classifieds. I figured I'd take a chance and see what would happen.

If you promised you would work at least 6 months then honour your word to your employer, you made the commitment.

I intend to. My boss got a bit spooked today when I mentioned the idea of working PT elsewhere. I assured her I wasn't leaving. I just want to make more $, but she can only give me so many hours.