HydroGuy

Canopy Piloting School reflections

This is basically directed to newer jumpers such as myself.

Two weeks ago I took a canopy course @ Perris with Clint. I have been so excited about learning to sit that I haven't really said much about the course. But lounging and pondering life at the DZ yesterday, I realized just how much that course helped me.

Some things I learned specifically from the course:

1. Sitting in the harness instead of hanging.
2. Loosening the chest strap after deployment.
3. Shifting weight in harness to turn (ok, I touched this subject in AFF. But when your just "hanging" under a 280sf canopy, you can't really shift your weight, so I never noticed anything. When "sitting" in the harness, I can shift that weight with ease, causing control input...and I can see how downsizing/higher wing loading would pronounce this effect. I have recently been working on minor weight shifts to counteract crosswinds on landing).
4. Trim - I learned nothing about canopy trim in AFF. While jumping demo gear (Spectre 210 or 190), I have never been able to mess around with my front risers without bucking all over. I learned that the trim is way off on the demo gear...I had to let go of the toggles when using front risers so as not to deform the rear surface.
5. Learned way more about flaring...and holding the flare.

In retrospect, I wish I had taken this course the day I graduated AFF. I'd highly reccommend it to everyone on or just off student status, anyone having troubles with setups or landings, or anyone getting ready for their first downsizing (actually a bunch of videoed landings would probably be beneficial to ANY downsizing).
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Awesome.

I took the course with Clint at around 100 jumps and he helped me with much the same things as you. We also worked on getting me flying a consistent pattern so i was setup in the right place and getting on the risers at the right time.

I'd also recommend the course to everyone of all skill levels.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I am glad that the course worked out well for you and I think all jumpers of any skill level should consider canopy piloting classes. I just wanted to point out one thing in your post since you are gearing it towards newer jumpers. In your post you said:

I learned that the trim is way off on the demo gear...I had to let go of the toggles when using front risers so as not to deform the rear surface.

Please understand that he was doing this up high. You should NEVER give any sort of front riser input close to the ground without holding on to the toggles in your hands. This may seem obvious to some but others may not understand.

I think your post is great and I am not putting you down in any way, but please be careful about what advice you give. There is always a possibility that a newer jumper does not understand what you really mean.
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

That is awesome. I am a recent AFP graduate and I really wanted to take Scott Miller's course. Unfortunately, he cancelled his visit to my dz, so thats not going to happen this year. :( But I really hope to take a canopy control course ASAP. I could definitely use some coaching on my landing pattern and getting stand-up landings. (Not to mention I'm sure it would give me more confidence in my canopy and my ability to fly it.)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I have a Scott Miller course coming up next month... Can't wait!! It's cool that we can get him to a small Canadian DZ.

Anyone have input on the difference between doing the 2 day course vs. only 1 day.

I have signed up and paid for the 2 day and will attend both, but I was wondering about the usefullness of the 2nd day for new jumpers.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I learned that the trim is way off on the demo gear...I had to let go of the toggles when using front risers so as not to deform the rear surface.

Please understand that he was doing this up high. You should NEVER give any sort of front riser input close to the ground without holding on to the toggles in your hands. This may seem obvious to some but others may not understand.

I think your post is great and I am not putting you down in any way, but please be careful about what advice you give. There is always a possibility that a newer jumper does not understand what you really mean.

No problem. I should have stated that because I can't use my front risers with toggles in hand, that I am unable to use them anywhere low in my approach. And maybe the trim is different on other demo gear...even at this drop zone.

None of the things I stated I learned were meant to be advice to anyone...that's what I really should have said.

I took both the essentials class and the advance.
They have improved my landings by 90%.

The advance concentrates on accuracy and swooping. I think even if you are not interested in swooping or accuracy it is well worth it. You learn so much about how your canopy will react to different inputs.

I am taking the advance course again next month. I know it will improve my landing even more.

I would take both.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Go stand out near the landing area at your home DZ and look at the body position that the swoopers have in their harnesses when they land. That's what he means by sitting in the harness.

As soon as i open i generally stow my brakes and slider, loosen my chest strap and then shift my weight in the harness so my leg straps are under my ass more and i'm not "hanging" in the harness.

Does that make sense? I've tried explain it as best i can :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Observing more experienced skydivers and reading the forum I have learn to practice this sequence after deployment:
1. look around for clear, safe direction and use rear risers to steer towards landing area
2. collapse the slider and move it down the risers behind my head
3. loosen chest strap
4. after 1,2,3 are done, unstow the brakes

Kamil

https://www.facebook.com/1skydive/

Observing more experienced skydivers and reading the forum I have learn to practice this sequence after deployment:
1. look around for clear, safe direction and use rear risers to steer towards landing area
2. collapse the slider and move it down the risers behind my head
3. loosen chest strap
4. after 1,2,3 are done, unstow the brakes

Kamil

I don't loosen my chest strap or alter my position in the saddle until after I've unstowed my brakes and done a quick line and control check...what if you need to cut your main due to a toggle coming off in your hand when you unstow, or an ugly tension knot or something and you're all loosey goosey in the saddle?

One thing to add to this: if the landing area is up or down jump-run, do not head that way until you've seen the next or previous group open. Someone freefalling through your open canopy is probably the last sight you'll ever see.

I took Clint Clawson's canopy course at Perris a year and a half ago when I had around 100 jumps. I got a lot out of the course, but at that time all I wanted was stand up landings, so I didn't really concentrate on the other things. A few months ago I took Scott Miller's course at Elsinore and really got a lot out of the course since I wasn't just concentrating on my landings, but on learning to fly my canopy as well. Both courses were very helpful.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I don't loosen my chest strap or alter my position in the saddle until after I've unstowed my brakes and done a quick line and control check...what if you need to cut your main due to a toggle coming off in your hand when you unstow, or an ugly tension knot or something and you're all loosey goosey in the saddle?

after (1) control is already done. should one toggle go off I will probably cut the other one and use rear risers instead

https://www.facebook.com/1skydive/