juliebird

Body position at pull time

Hey all, I'm new here... finished AFF 3 yesterday at Skydive San Diego (great place with excellent instructors, by the way). I'm hoping some of you might have suggestions that'll help me improve my body position at pull time.

My position has gotten better over the course of the few jumps I've done (I had to repeat Level 2 because of problems with leg awareness). Level 3 went REALLY well... totally stable on my own (albeit a little whirly). But on all of my videos, I notice that when I reach back to pull, I drop my right leg down. My legs are FAR from coordinated at this point (always seem to be flopping around in different directions). So far it hasn't been a huge concern, because I've got two jumpmasters holding onto me for the deployment.

My concern is that if I haven't corrected this by the time I'm pulling without anyone holding onto me, I might throw myself into an unstable body position at the most important point of the skydive. None of my jumpmasters have mentioned this (4 assisted solos so far), it's just something I've noticed. Leg awareness seems to be my biggest issue... I always intend to work with it but somehow, I forget that I even HAVE legs up there. Any thoughts?

Beyond the advice to take a breath and relax, just about any other advice may interfer with your instructor's instruction. So please talk to your instructors about this before believing anything else you read.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Your gonna be just fine :ph34r:

Your right, you really do have great instructors there and they will teach you well..... They taught me as well.. B|

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I got berated all the time cause I had "lazy legs" during AFF and for a few more jumps after that. Especially on exit (Someone even started calling me Frog) I found that by doing toe taps I improved rapidly. All you do is touch your toes together briefly to make your mind and body remmeber to work together. Ask your instructors about them.

Hey it got Dorothy home so it should help you. (Although I think she was doing heel taps...same friggin' difference)

And I'm out
HackB A.K.A. "Puppy"

Two options I can see:
1) Continue working with your instructors. I am sure they can get you through this as it is quite common.
2) If you have the money, go up to the wind tunnel at PErris and get some tunnel time. While in the tunnel you can do practice pulls and figure it out when you have more time. You can practice a lot of stability exercies. If possible, get some coached time and you will have it in no time flat!

Don

Thanks Nate! I think I might have seen you get pied a couple weeks ago. Was that you?

It just may have been :D

Were you one of the AFF 1s I talked to that day?? I'll be there this weekend, make sure you say hey if your there! :)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I have to agree, at this point in your progression, some time in a tunnel would really help you a LOT. You'll come out of there with awareness of good body position and the ability to do decent RW work. It's cheap compared to doing AFF jumps over, and actually pretty dam fun, too. ;)

I spent the weekend at Street Scene, so no skydiving this weekend. Next time I spot you there I'll say hi! ;-)

Alright, next weekend then? I didnt make it up much this weekend either, ... Had to work today (got the call this morning) ruining my skydiving plans.. Yesterday got 3 jumps in on the new canopy making adjustments to my brakes in between , so nothing to exciting.. Hope you had a good time at the street scene ;)

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

Toe taps can be useful, but it can also result in your legs being close together, which results in less roll stability compared to your legs being spread more apart. Look at many experienced RW jumpers and you will notice their legs are fairly wide apart.

Take advantage of being close to a tunnel. You will probably only need to practice pulling a little bit and still have time left for improving other areas, and you'll likely leave with a lot of justified confidence.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am