tombuch

Access to Riggers

There is thread in the Safety and Training Forum called “Safety Notes From WFFC.” One of the issues discussed in the original post was a cutaway cable that was too short, and that prompted another jumper to say her cables may be too short, but a “packer” said they were fine. That prompted other jumpers to indignantly tell him to have a rigger check it, not just a packer.

When I read the thread my immediate thought was “…just call a rigger over to have a quick look, no big deal…” but that’s because I am a rigger and jump at a large DZ with thousands (well, it seems like thousands) of riggers. Heck, we have a master rigger on the field full time, another master rigger in town who services many of our jumpers, and a third master rigger in town who we see occasionally. Senior riggers are a dime a dozen, with at least two on the field full time.

For a jumper at my DZ, getting an opinion from a rigger is as simple as walking across the parking lot to the on site gear store, or calling out “Hey, any riggers around?” It might not be so easy at a smaller DZ, so my question for folks at Cessna drop zones…

Do you have access to a rigger when you are jumping or do you need to wait until the end of the day, or longer? Is it easy to get a consultation or opinion from a rigger that you trust? Is the only rigger at your DZ always teaching/jumping/administering? Do you know who the riggers are on your field, and are they approachable?

I'm interested in a discussion about how access to riggers is handled at smaller DZ's.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

There is very rarely a rigger on the dropzone where I jump.
My reserve needed to be packed Two weeks ago. This involved getting my rig over five hours drive away.
I dont have my own transport at the moment so It had to be sent via a network of friends to the rigger and collected the same way.
It was packed last week and I will get it back sometime around the middle of next week. I hope :|

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

In Denmark there is a separate rating called "Reserve packer". We often have one of those on the DZ. They are trained in knowing the equipment, but they are not allowed to tinker with it except for AAD-installation (and reserve packing of course). I often consult with them. As for riggers we don't have any at all. It is about a one-hour drive to the nearest one.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

In Denmark there is a separate rating called "Reserve packer". We often have one of those on the DZ. They are trained in knowing the equipment, but they are not allowed to tinker with it except for AAD-installation (and reserve packing of course). I often consult with them. As for riggers we don't have any at all. It is about a one-hour drive to the nearest one.

Same in Switzerland.
I know a few in Switzerland, but usually do reparations/modifications either in France (Philippe Besnier is quite close) or in Empuriabrava because I appreciate Colin and his work very much.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Makes me realize how fortunate we are in Georgia where every drop zone has riggers...I think only one does not have a Master Rigger and I may be wrong about that.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It might not be so easy at a smaller DZ, so my question for folks at Cessna drop zones…

The place I jump at has one 182, so I guess I'm qualified.

Do you have access to a rigger when you are jumping or do you need to wait until the end of the
day, or longer?

The DZ has a rigger working there, who mostly packs the DZ's student and tandem rigs. I think one or
two of the instructors may also be riggers, but I can't remember right now if I've seen them packing rigs
besides their own. I am still a student and jumping the DZ's rigs, but I've always been able to get
questions answered. I've seen him talking rigging with jumpers who own their own gear.

Is it easy to get a consultation or opinion from a rigger that you trust? Is the only rigger at your
DZ always teaching/jumping/administering? Do you know who the riggers are on your field, and are
they approachable?

The guy I know is a rigger does a lot of packing. If you want to have a detailed discussion of whether
the cable should be 110.0 or 110.1 mm long, you might be out of luck in the middle of the day when
he's trying to keep up with packing the tandem and student rigs. First thing in the morning or later
in the evening - no problem. He pretty much just does packing and rigging - he doesn't teach class
or jump with students or run manifest. Like I said, I think there may be some other people at the DZ
who are riggers, but I'm not sure.

If for some reason you wanted a rigger and there wasn't one at the DZ I jump at, the next closest DZ
is about an hour away and I'm fairly sure they have a "staff" rigger. The next two DZs are maybe 2.5
hours away by road, and the next one is probably 4.5 hours away. I've never been to any of these
llatter three.

Eule

we don't have any riggers on the dz, the closest is about 2 hours away, in a town with no dropzone :S. actually, there's two of them there, but neither are full time so you usually have to wait for them to get some free time. there are a couple of people who are going to take the course this winter though, so at least we'll be able to get a reserve repacked, as long as we can find all the parts (freebag etc.) since any parts must be shipped in, usually for the states. best case scenario if you have a cutaway is you find all the parts and ship them to the rigger, so even at that, your jumping is done for the weekend, at least.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

The dz I'm jumping at has a master rigger/DPRE as the dzo, and he's nearly always on the drop zone. On the average weekend there are usually two or three active senior riggers about.

Technically I am a rigger, but it's been so long since I've actively worked at it that I'll usually refer people to other more current riggers if they come to me with questions.

One of the issues discussed in the original post was a cutaway cable that was too short, and that prompted another jumper to say her cables may be too short, but a “packer” said they were fine. That prompted other jumpers to indignantly tell her to have a rigger check it, not just a packer.

I'm a HE!!!! >:(>:(

I shall call Fire & Brimstone down on yo a** if you continue to disrespect me!!!

Carry on....:)

Same in Switzerland.
I know a few in Switzerland, but usually do reparations/modifications either in France (Philippe Besnier is quite close) or in Empuriabrava because I appreciate Colin and his work very much.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Similar in Canada.
Most DZs have a CSPA Rigger A - who is a glorified reserve repacker.
Only a handful of Canadian DZ have a Rigger B (similar to American Master Rigger).
At Pitt Meadows, the Master Rigger is so busy doing PFF, tandems, radioing students, etc. that he barely has time to answer simple questions about cutaway cables during the middle of a busy day.
Reseve repacks or sewing have to be done during weekend evenings or week days.

My DZ's on the smaller side (two 182s and a 206 year round, Caravan in the summer).

I've never had trouble finding a rigger to consult. There's at least a couple who are almost always at the DZ, others who are a quick phone call/drive away.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I jump at a small DZ. Usually there is a rigger on site however he is also one of the TIs and AFFIs. He is usually rather busy.

That prompted other jumpers to indignantly tell him to have a rigger check it, not just a packer.

Usually a rigger is better qualified to evaluate this, wouldn't you say so? Not saying that this specific packer hasn't a clue. So with all due respect, I do not see that as indignant.

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

One option for your average jumper is sit and watch your rigger pack your reserve. One time, every time doesn't really matter, but it will teach you a lot about your rig and give you the opportunity to ask questions you normally wouldn't be able to ask. I know Derek encourages all his customers to stay and watch. He tries to go over every part of the rig so the customer has a better idea of what is ok and what isn't with their rig.
Fly it like you stole it!

I like to show those people with racers how they should be packed. It's a sure fire way for the customer to evlaute (or help) other riggers.

I also have very loyal customers because they have seen what other riggers do (or rather don't do!)
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Small Cessna DZ with no rigger at all. Like one of the previous responses, my rigger is 3 hours away in another state. It makes for some interesting ferrying chains sometimes to see my rig again after dropping it off.

I have also been at other small DZ's that did not have a full-time rigger or one at all. You just find a rigger you like in the region and make a trip to him/her every four months.

Luckily, with no cutaways, I have rarely had the need for same-day, immediate service.

Rock