topper

Skydiving with Asthma

Hello,

I'm doing my BPA AFF course in spain in october, and just wondered if anyone has had any problems jumping with asthma.

I do have Asthma but it doesn't really trouble me, I've checked with my GP and all should be fine (just need to get him to sign BPA finess declaration, which he will do), but just wondered if anyone has had any issues.

Thanks
Chris

I have chronic asthma. There are only a few times when it bothers me.
If the air is too cold or if I am already in a sensative state and I am sitting by the door prior to take off, then the fumes bother me.
Its all about knowing what your triggers are.
If my asthma is out of control, I don't jump period.

I have asthma as well and have jumped with no issues. However, I always have a rescue inhaler with me and know when to listen to my body and not jump.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I've nearly completed my AFF and i have asthma. I dont carry my inhaler around with me in town or anything but when skydiving i take it just in case.

Good Luck with your AFF

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I have asthma and it has never been a problem for me when jumping.

I do find that I feel myself starting to become a little hypoxic if I am above 15,000' for more than a few minutes but whether or not this is related to my asthma, I don't know.

Enjoy your AFF!

Vicki

i myself have asthma as well as my best friend. Mine doesn't bother me that much, But when it does it is usually caused by get to hot to fast . However my friends asthma really bothers her. she can control it with an inhaler which she cares in her jump suit. Might want to think about keeping yours close by just for safety measures.

Stay safe
life is short, Live it up!!!

have had asthma for a while should be no problem just remember to get your gp to sign the declaration form and if going to spain to inform your insurance company as well. That you have asthma as well as going skydiving.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I have asthma and it has never been a problem for me when jumping.

I do find that I feel myself starting to become a little hypoxic if I am above 15,000' for more than a few minutes but whether or not this is related to my asthma, I don't know.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We all get hypoxic - if we stay above 10,000 feet long enough - just not all of us are bright enough to admit that we get hypoxic.

I suffer from exercise-induced asthma, but find that the adrenaline produced by skydiving reduces my symptoms.
If I have to run between back-to-back loads, I merely chew some gum, which keeps the saliva flowing and keeps my throat moist.
I normally chew gum when running or bicycling, again to reduce the symptoms of exercise-induced asthma.

We all get hypoxic - if we stay above 10,000 feet long enough - just not all of us are bright enough to admit that we get hypoxic.

Some much worse than others, though. I started looking at people just before final and spotted a few with purple fingertips and lips. This was on 12,000 foot jumps, I'm thinking at 15,000, it's hitting us all pretty hard. It's something to be aware of, but if you have hypoxia, the first thing to go is your sense of judgement, so you're going to jump anyway. [:/]