wishintobe

Info for a newbie.

I made 3 promises to myself and the first was to never wait tables again, the second was to go back to school and the final was to finally go skydiving. I have officially keep all three. Now I'm considering going back to waitressing, after making my first ever tandem jump at Tecumseh this past Sunday I am hooked and I need to fund it. I have never had a passion or a hobbie and since Sunday I can't stop thinking about the fact that I think I found my passion. I can't imagine NOT becoming a real skydiver. So why am I posting you ask? Well I know nothing about the sport except for what I have read over the last 5 days..which had been a lot. I don't even know what questions I have for you guys I guess I just want any info you are willing to give. I can't believe I waited this long to do this what a regret! Everyone at Tecumseh was amazingly nice. I can't believe I have lived in Tecumseh my whole life and never knew that there were people this wonderful in my backyard. I would love to work there just to get a better feel for the sport and the people but alas I know nothing about the sport. Well I'm rambling can you tell I'm excited? Thanks in advance for the info!

i think one of the best things i was told was don't just go to the dz to jump. go, and watch, and listen, and learn. pay attention to what is happening and what people are doing. listen to their conversations. watch some packers pack, some riggers rig, some teams turn points. you learn a ton. even when you can't jump or the weather is bad or whatever.

and then talk to your instructors before believing anything :)
congratulations.. and welcome to the sky.
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

i think one of the best things i was told was don't just go to the dz to jump. go, and watch, and listen, and learn. pay attention to what is happening and what people are doing. listen to their conversations. watch some packers pack, some riggers rig, some teams turn points. you learn a ton. even when you can't jump or the weather is bad or whatever.

and then talk to your instructors before believing anything :)
congratulations.. and welcome to the sky.

To add to what is well said above, hang around after beer light is on. That is when you can learn even more and start to get to know your fellow jumpers when they aren't in a hurry trying to make a load. If you have a question, crack open a bottle, hand it to one of your new friends and ask away. You'll have their attention for a while, and they'll appreciate the generosity.

Again, welcome.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

There are A LOT of experienced skydivers on this forum and the one thing they will tell you is along the lines of what the other person said (sorry i didnt read your name, just the post :S.) Go to your DZ and hang out, read as many articles off this site as possible (some one else said that) and decide what the best way to become a skydiver is for YOU

I'm personally doing AFF and loving it, infact i've sank my last beer and im heading to bed to get an early start at the DZ

Good luck mate

Also a wage is a wage :P

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Welcome to the sky. I just started in the sport myself and like you said it became a passion and hobbie as soon as I left that plane. I also just recently got married so money is tight and will more than likely get that way for you too. Just dont get discouraged and keep jumpin because the cheap jumps are comming pretty soon and it will all be worth it.

I dont want to wake up one day and find out it's too late to do all the things I want to do. (Jump by Simple Plan)

Well like a lot of you said right now for me it's a money issue. I'm a stay at home Mom going to school on a budget so I will have to figure a way to work that out...but I will! Hubby's grandparents decided to pay for school I wonder if they would want to pay for this instead! Thanks for the beer light tip hell that sounds worthit just to drink abeer with some intresting people! I'm so glad I found this site it's so informative!

Just some stuff in general -

Find a bunch of skydivers and just hang around with them. You'll hear a lot of talk. 90% of it is bullshit (that's a general rule with skydivers) but you will also occasionally hear something worthwhile. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Borrow DVD's and tapes from people and watch them. They'll show you the artsy/competitive side of the sport.

Volunteer to help out the packers or the DZO. You'll get all the grunt work (sweeping up the broken rubber bands, tracking people down) but you'll learn about DZ operations and packing - and packing may well be your first job at the DZ if you want a way to "get into" working at a DZ.

Watch people packing, dirt diving and landing. Again, ask questions. You may not always get good answers, or answers at all if people are busy, but it's free.

Woot! Welcome to the Sky!

Money is a huge huge issue, but the love will never go away. I made my first two jumps when I was 18 in Marine City, and when I was a wee little one watch my dad jump at Marine City and Tecumseh. Then when I had to go away to College, I was elated to find there was a DZ right in town! So I went and hung out, then got a job packing, unfortunately at the time I had no money what-so-ever. So the small amount of money I made it went to bills, but I would sit around constantly listening to stories, and watching videos.

Now finally at 25, I'm actually doing my jumps!
(there was an opening in manifest, so I could make a wee bit more money) and had a "real Job" as I like to call it.

There is way if there is will! I knew a guy who did our rigging for a year or two, but after his first jump, moved out of his apartment and lived in his van so he could have more money for jumps!

I have no idea if any of that made sense. =D