The111

wristwatch

This is probably another case of me thinking too much...

Would wearing a metal watch on my right wrist in freefall present a snag hazard? I remember getting back into the sport a year ago and trying to remember which wrist to wear my alti on... besides looking at everyone else, my first thought was that on the right wrist, a bulky alti could present a snag hazard. But I have a metal watch that is pretty low profile and I normally wear it on my right wrist... just wondering if I could leave it on for skydiving.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The111... I normally wear my watch on the left wrist, but when I'm jumping I switch to the right (alti on left) . If I'm not wearing gloves, (not very often), I just make sure that the watch is covered by the jumpsuit cuff. With gloves, I cover with the cuff and the glove.

I've never had a problem with my watch or altimeter.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I've seen video of a PC getting snagged on it as the person pulled... it can happen.

And I've seen video of the lines of a reserve wrap around an altimeter.

And I've seen video of the lines of a reserve wrap around an altimeter.

It could be argued that knowing your altitude is so important that it's worth the risk - whereas knowing the time of day in freefall is not even remotely as important, and therefore not worth the risk. I'm still undecided on this, but for now I don't plan on wearing the watch. Not that I'm jumping in the next few weeks anyway. [:/]
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Why do you really need a watch in freefall? Sure, on the ground its pretty darn handy, but once you're walking to the plane with your gear on, from that point until you've dropped your gear on the packing mat, does what time it is really matter?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That's the exact point I made above - the watch is NOT needed for utility while in freefall. But if I'm the kind of person who likes to wear my watch all day long, I was curious if it's necessary to take it off before each load.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Oh, sorry, I missed that in your previous post.

Well, let me tell you a story about myself, then.

I generally can't function without a watch, but I learned to when I was jumping. I didn't at first, though, I would wear my watch on the underside of my left wrist, basically under my altimeter strap (sort of). Well, one day I felt it flapping, looked and my watch was about to come off, so I grabbed it and stuffed it in my jumpsuit.

That was my 50-somethingth jump. Hadn't worn one since.

Fast foward to this past weekend. I finally bought a Neptune alti. It has a watch built in it. Now I've got a cool alti, log book, etc on my wrist, plus a watch.

Do I need it? Nope. Is it nice to have? Meh, I guess. Does time really matter? Nope, not at the DZ except for load calls. Is it worth wearing a watch in addition to all the other stuff we have on, something to loose or snag? Nope. Can you get something to fullfill your need for time and fullfill a function in skydiving. Yup.:P

Hello all!

I just take off my watch when I get to the DZ...we placed a big one on the wall exactly for that reason.;)

Just wondering...what about wedding rings? (check picture)...when my instructor saw this picture he warned me not to wear it at all...It´s even more dangerous than the watch.

Cheers,

Hey...ho...let's go!

If you catch your finger on something (like the plane, etc) it can and will take your finger off. I don't take my Aggie ring off, it means a lot to me, so I always wear gloves. It doesn't totally fix the situation, BUT it does help prevent it a little.

Conclusion:

1. Don't jump with rings on.
2. If you must, then wear gloves.

1. Don't jump with rings on.
2. If you must, then wear gloves.

Not trying to negate your good advice, but in my First Aid course I learned that even a totally unrelated injury (e.g. broken leg) could cause your hands/fingers to swell up rapidly, and the EMTs/paramedics (I can never get those American terms right) will actually cut your ring off your finger in those cases to prevent nasty damage to your finger.

That's why I decided I won't even wear my wedding ring while jumping.

Ramon

once you're walking to the plane with your gear on, from that point until you've dropped your gear on the packing mat, does what time it is really matter?

Yes, it matters to those of us who organize demos at which we are expected to arrive on time. I wear a wristwatch on my L wrist and use only a chest-mount alti for these, or I put my watch in a jumpsuit pocket. Otherwise I don't wear a watch during jumping.

This is probably another case of me thinking too much...

Yep...But its better than not thinking at all;)

Would wearing a metal watch on my right wrist in freefall present a snag hazard? I remember getting back into the sport a year ago and trying to remember which wrist to wear my alti on... besides looking at everyone else, my first thought was that on the right wrist, a bulky alti could present a snag hazard. But I have a metal watch that is pretty low profile and I normally wear it on my right wrist... just wondering if I could leave it on for skydiving.

You and I have talked before....Wanna guess my answer?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
If you don't need it, and its even remotely possible it could do bad things...don't take it.

I fail to see what good a watch will do for you in the plane or in freefall. On the ground I can understand, but not once your kit is on.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The former First Sergeant for the Golden Knights lost his Rolex climbing out of their super queen air a number of years ago. When doing AFF and Tandems, I use an Alti III mounted on the back of my left hand and a slim Timex Ironman on my left wrist (ensuring my juimpsuit covers it). It works for me.

Tim T.
Team Paraclete

I always used to take my watch off of my left wrist before jumping, but mostly because I was afraid it would tear my jumpsuit. Got a new metal watch and now I leave it on, covered by my jumpsuit and probably my glove too. Since it's on the same side as the altimeter and much lower profile, I just can't see what it could do. Found mysterious scratches on the bottom of the band yesterday though. Took me a while to figure out it must have happened when I was playing on creepers during a wind hold. Doh!

Dave