StreetScooby

Logbook question

I've been in the sport a long time now. Since I'm pretty anal about alot of things, I decided some time ago to not log anymore jumps. Seemed like a reasonable attempt at simplifying my life. I don't even know where my log books are.

I'm a current USPA member with a D license, with an expired AFF JM rating on the record. So, if I had gone to Nationals at Perris this year (...we we're planning on it but a team member was injured during August), how would I demonstrate currency. Would I even need to?
We are all engines of karma

So, if I had gone to Nationals at Perris this year (...we we're planning on it but a team member was injured during August), how would I demonstrate currency. Would I even need to?

Have you jumped at Perris before? If not, you'd need a logbook with your most current jump signed.

They're anal too. ;)

how would I demonstrate currency. Would I even need to?

Get your home dz to print out your jump run account if they have one. Otherwise you would have to create a logbook and have another jumper attest (sign) for you.

I usually update mine on the flight to Perris from my protrac. Since I get out there 3 or 4 times a year it is not to bad. I got 700 jumps behind once and the S&TA would not approve my jump and freefall awards without a hardcopy record of jumps starting with jump 1 since I had never applied for the awards.

You do have to prove currency at Perris.

Blue skies,

Jim

Just get a small logbook, or even a notebook and log some current jumps. There are no requirements that someone has to have their jumps signed off unless it is for a license or rating. I log my jumps in a cash receipt book and never have them signed. I mean, someone could log whatever they want really. I could open my book right now and log 50 jumps I never made. If someone wanted them signed, I could do that too.

If a dz is requiring you to show a logbook, get a piece of paper and log your last 20 or so jumps with what jump number you think they are. Have someone sign it. Afterall, any ime someone looks at a logbook, they are just taking my word for it anyway.

If you have a current license, there really is no difference between telling them verbally that you are current or writing it down on a piece of paper. Just because the cover says "logbook" doesn't make it any more official. And nowhere does it say that I have to have my jumps signed off once I have met my license requirements.

I'm still a little confused here. Should I have my DZ print out a list of my jumps and have them sign it before going to Perris (or similar) DZ?

What other DZs require demonstration of currency?

That should work fine. They are just veriying your currency, even though they are just taking your word for it anyway with a logbook. You just need to comply with what they want.

My problem is the cost to get out there. If I hand them a piece of paper and they say it's not good enough, then I have to go to Square 1, buy a log book, fill out a jump and have someone sign it; OR call my home dz and have them fax the last page of my jumps from jump run (which I did the very first time I went out there.) They accepted the fax from Spaceland without a signature.

Why take a chance. A logbook is only $9 and all you have to fill out is the first jump in the book anyway. They said l;ogbook, I now give them a logbook, They want another jumpers signature on the last jump and I give them another jumpers signature on the last jump. No big deal!

Just don't show up with nothing...

Blue skies,

Jim

I'm anal in a different way. I fill out my logbooks for every jump and flight. I've only got 63 jumps so that effort hasn't been too difficult. I can't imagine having 700 unaccounted for jumps. Would love to be in that number range. For my flying I'm creeping up on 10,000 hours and I still log every minute of flying. I just turned the page on my airplane logbook with my flight last night. On this page I will log my 10,000 th hour. This is my fourth log book.

It's fun to go back and read the comments on a flight I made 20 years ago. Brings back lots of great memories.

I want to do that same thing with my jump log.

Cheers,

Mo

Totally agree. Give them what they want. My point was really only that it is no big deal and you just need to give them what they want. As far as worrying about the fact that you haven't logged jumps or stuff, you just have to find what will work and what they will accept.

I just find it amusing that they make such a production out of it and what they are accepting is nothing more than a piece of paper with some dates and numbers on it with no real official verification other than some signature, or in some cases, not requiring a signature at all. But if they want a book that is stamped "Logbook" and want to see some written numbers with a random signature, then give it to them.

You basically just have to meet THEIR requirements. There are no requirements for having logged jumps or signatures in your case.

Requirements, no, but as one Elvis jumping dude from Vegas once told me (ok, told me many times) if ya didn't log it, ya didn't jump it. That simple. Kinda like us and video. No video (or log), no jump. I've stood by that comment for the last number of years, and have logged every single jump, though some are really lacking in detail. All 2 of 'em. :D

Really, how hard is it to fill out a piece of paper, at least at the end of the day?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

After getting my D license, what was the point? I'm _absolutely_ not interest in awards, etc. Hell, I didn't even tell anyone when I did my 1000th.

If you don't believe I jumped it, fine. I'm comfortable doing 4 way with anyone that wants to do it with me. If it works for the group at that point in time, who cares?
We are all engines of karma

The only point is if you want to keep track. If you don't, then you don't have to.

As far as people believing you, I doubt many people ask to see you logbook when they are going to do a jump with you.

A logbook is a written version of how many jumps you have. But it is no more "official" than saying so verbally. Wheter I show someone that I have 2800 jumps or tell them I do, they are just taking my word for it. So, the "if you didn't log it, you didn't jump it" is pretty pointless. I can log anything I want. Why is a logbook taken as gospel?

ifrom what i understand, the logbook issue is largely about liability and litigation. if you forge the log and die on the skydive, the DZO can show in court that they at least have a system in place to try to prevent non-current and/or unlicensed people from jumping.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

After getting my D license, what was the point?

The point is to show currency when traveling to DZ's where they don't know you. ;) Perris isn't anal they are simply complying with USPA guidelines as any USPA group member should.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP