DickMcMahon

Jumping Restrictions near Denver

PS Oh and mary, I thank god every day that you do NOT support us. If one good thing has come out of this, it is that.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:Good, we are on the same page. I'm just sad that I won't be able to see Randy any more. I said it before, I'll say it again.

I HOPE YOU ALL WORK IT OUT!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Just a note...If this municipal airport has been granted funds by the Federal Government then the city may well be within its rights under airport compliance agreements to close the operation.
I too hope that it can be resolved with the best outcome for all parties involved.

I heard about it. I also heard that the right prop blades aren't in the condition that they were before the incident...:S Unfortunately we don't know how this happened. Hopefully somebody can give us more information, because I was planning on jumping there after the MOAB boogie on my way home...

And YES it is legal to discharge firearms in the county of Brush, which includes the The Brush Municipal Airport.

Just because it is legal to discharge firearms in the county that does not mean it is legal on a Municipal Airport. Municipal mean it belongs to the city not the county. The city can pass ordnance banning the discharge of firearms anywhere within the city limits.

And no, a lease does not make the property "private". It means you may use the property for the purpose and within the limits specified in the lease document.

You ever wonder why it is called a Municipal Airport?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

You ever wonder why it is called a Municipal Airport?

Its called "municipal" because it is owned by the city.

The city can pass ordnance banning the discharge of firearms anywhere within the city limits.

The airport is not in city limits. Only the county can pass ordances concerning the airport.

There is absolutely NO QUESTION WHATSOEVER on whether or not shooting, drinking, and open fires are legal on the airport. They are now and always have been completely legal. The police have responded to dozens and dozens of complaints from ONE PERSON and have never charged anyone with any crime because we are not breaking any laws.

I don't know why so many people, skydivers no less, always assume we are wrong without even knowing the facts.

The only limitation in our lease that differentiates it from any other property lease is the stipulation that the runway, ramp, and parking lot remain open to public general aviation users.

If the county passes laws restricting certain activites on the airport it will be a sad day for us all. This is supposed to be America. You know.... life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? I don't know where the concept of "don't like your neighbor, just keep complaining and get laws passed that only apply to them" comes into play. Everyone else around us shoots, drinks and has fires on their property, why should we be subject to special laws?

If we allow this kind of BS to continue it will only be a matter of time before this issue comes to a place you might care about. News flash Sparky: Skydiving is the bastard child of the aviation community. DZ's are being pushed off public airports all across the country. And in our case its not because we pose a threat to the non-existant GA traffic at the airport.

You need to get rid of the attitude.

If the airport is owned by the "City" that means it is controlled by the "City" not the County. Who is the lease agreement with, the "City" or the County?

Everyone else around us shoots, drinks and has fires on their property, why should we be subject to special laws?

One reason might be your neighbors own their property and you don't. It belongs to the "City".

It has been my experience that skydiving is the “bastard child of the aviation community” is because of skydivers. They are their own worst enemy. They are often loud, rude, and inconsiderate of others and only interest in their own enjoyment. We have all jumped at DZ’s that fit that description and most are now closed.

I have also jumped at DZ’s where the jumpers and DZO’s are accommodating to their neighbors and the surrounding city. They don’t go around shouting and yelling about being picked on and it’s their “right” to do what they want. They find a way to compromise the others and reach a common ground that all can live with. Most of them are still open and thriving.

Someone connected with your DZ has done something to piss off the City fathers and acting like a group of spoiled kids is probably not the best way to deal with it.
Jmo.

Sparky

News flash, maybe you should fill out your profile.

That's the last thing anyone would ever say about that DZ. I just don't see it.

Frankly it amazes me how many people talk smack about that dropzone and all the really great people that frequent it who just want to make some jumps and have some fun.

Incidents far worse than anything I have seen or heard of out there are occurring on the east coast yet everyone plays "rally 'round the troops" for them whilst casting stones at a relatively obscure DZ in a small town because it displays a modicum of individuality and a hint of that bandit jumping spirit that has long since been drown in a sea of tandems and the roar of wind tunnels most places.

Maybe people pick on them since they are perceived as an easy target, who knows. Perhaps if some of these people that continually bad mouth this DZ showed up with a smile and case of beer, instead of a chip on their shoulder, their experience would be different.

Having a turbine alternative to Mile Hi and a place to escape the 100+ tandems and students per day almost every weekend is good for CO skydivers. Having to wait 3 hours to get on a load and being one of four fun-jumpers on the plane quite frankly sucks. Hopefully that will change now that their Otter is online and people can start knocking out more than 2 ways on a consistant basis. Now, if we can only get people to stay after sunset...

Each DZ in CO has something to offer, whether its a fast lift, a big pond, awesome parties, or really entertaining static line instruction. Variety is good, it keeps people from burning out. Instead of bitching, people should start jumping more... and not just for money either.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Frankly it amazes me how many people talk smack about that dropzone and all the really great people that frequent it who just want to make some jumps and have some fun.

shooting, drinking, and open fires are legal on the airport.

Firearms, drinking, open fires and skydiving, sure sounds like the perfect mix for having fun. Can't understand why the City would be upset about that.:P[:/]

Sparky

If the airport is owned by the "City" that means it is controlled by the "City" not the County. Who is the lease agreement with, the "City" or the County?

No, you need to get over the fact that you are not the legal scholar you think you are.

For the last time, the airport is owned by the city but lies in the county, the city has no legislative jurisdiction over the airport. All of the involved parties in this issue agree on that, leaving you as the only one who is having comprehension problems.

Yes the lease is with the city, and we are 5 years into its 20 year term. Here in Colorado if you have a lease with someone you are bound by its terms, even if you change your mind later. I know Kalifornia is different, so that may be part of your confusion, but out here being a Municipality doesn't give you the right to side-step due process.

Oh, and the community and all but one neigbor are extremely supportive of us. We have one farmer McNasty and the story of why he has it in for us is an interesting one, you may even know some of the key players personally.

Shooting, drinking and fires were never an issue in the past, they weren't the reason we were kicked off the airport. They have only become an issue now that the City has conveniently "forgotten" why they kicked us off in the first place. But thats a whole other story as well and it has nothing to do with the people currently connected to the DZ.

News flash, maybe you should fill out your profile.

Why? I see your profile all filled out, but it doesn't make you seem any smarter, or add credibility to your knowledge of the law.

Sparky, I don't know you, or know who you are which means we have never met, which also means that (I'm going out on a limb here) that you have never been to Brush in the last four years. Not to pry or anything but why do you give a shit about anything we do. You're not connected in any way with this and you have no inside inforamtion of this situation, yet you seem to fancy yourself some sort of legal expert on inner working of small town Colorado government. But since you seem to have the supreme urge to stick youre nose into things that are none of your business, I feel I should at least give you the facts so that you can at least be a nosy dick with some true information.
As far as bon fires go, the townspeople encourage them. They drop off their scap wood, pallets and tree trimings and we get rid or them. They are never gigantic or out of control, just large enough for a small group of friends (you do know what those are right?) to enjoy a fire on a cold Colorado night.
As far as firearms go we mainly use shotguns to shoot trap on bad weather days. Again I'm not sure of your level of understanding, but a shotgun has an effective range of less than 50 yards and is completly harmless at less then 100 yards. As people have mentioned before the police have responded to complaints by our "farmer mcnasty" and told us strait up that there is NOTHING wrong with firearms on the airport. As far as complaints about fireams go, we can take none of them seriously because they are, after all, only coming from one person, who incidentally has a trap range set up so that the shot falls into airport property.
And finaly as far as drinking or partying are concerned, I have one thing to say to you. YOU CALL YOURSELF A SKYDIVER????? I'm sorry that our "style" of life makes you uneasy, but rest assured living in california should be sufficent distance to keep you safe from a stray bullet or any other "dangerous" activities that occur on our airport.
confucious say: he who stands on top of toilet gets high on pot.

YOU CALL YOURSELF A SKYDIVER?????

You don't need to shoot guns, drink booze, and have bonfires to be a skydiver. A lot of your Brush jumpers are cought up in the bandit skydiver lifestyle, and look at where it has gotten you. You have pissed off the city and probably some other people. Now you are all fighting an uphill battle.

You and your anonymous buddy sure are defensive and seem eager to bad mouth and label people who may or may not agree with your position.

Not to pry or anything but why do you give a shit about anything we do. You're not connected in any way with this and you have no inside inforamtion of this situation, yet you seem to fancy yourself some sort of legal expert on inner working of small town Colorado government.

I give a shit because your actions and the actions of other “Skydivers” around the country affect the way all are perceived by small town governments all across the country. A small town government in Colorado is pretty much the same as a small town anywhere else in the country. Property rights are property rights for the most part. And since you guys do not own the property in question, you have no property rights. You have only the rights granted to you by the leaseholder, the City.

And just to clear something up, I have shot completive trap for over 25 years and a very familiar with shotguns. They are a lethal weapons and can kill when in the hands of careless people.

Yes, I call myself a skydiver and I have for a lot more years then you can claim. I was around when your attitude was popular and it caused many small DZ’s to close. You can work with the City and your neighbors or you can yell and scream, “It is my right to do what the fuck I want”. If you and your nameless buddy are the ones dealing with the City my guess is that Brush will be closed soon.

PS: Why does no one want to say why the DZ got closed down in the first place?

I am done with this.

Door

nosy dick with some true information.

:oLooks like a PA to me.

You don't need to shoot guns, drink booze, and have bonfires to be a skydiver. A lot of your Brush jumpers are cought up in the bandit skydiver lifestyle, and look at where it has gotten you. You have pissed off the city and probably some other people. Now you are all fighting an uphill battle.

Well said Grant.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

A very smart person once told me "don't put your dirty laundry out in public for everyone to see."

For those paying attention that are not from around here... There are plenty of positive things going on in Colorado too.:P You can come visit us any time, we will leave the light on for ya...

Lets see...

A few weeks ago a world record swoop was performed at a national comp...

Last winter I was able to jump almost every weekend, 2.5 times more jumpable days than my friends in Southern California.

A DZ just finished one of the most expensive and thorough rebuild of an Otter yet, completely new electrical and instruments, et al...

The worlds largest swoop pond...

This weekend there is great base jumping to watch/participate in at the worlds highest suspension bridge http://www.royalgorgebridge.com/html/adventure-travelers/gofast-energy-drink.html

If you like ground launching or paragliding, we have some of the worlds best here too.

I wish all the DZs great success in our state... It is too bad some of the laundry everyone gets to see is dirty... So, I hope the positive stuff I just presented can turn this thread upside down...B|