woodencyclone

Skydiving the gift that keeps on giving?

This thanksgiving its my best friends birthday, and normally I take her to sixflags for oct or something or buy her a cd, but this year I was thinking about what I got for my birthday. What I got was my first tandem jump for free and boy was it the best gift ever. So I wondering would this be a good gift, I have known her for seven years and its kinda exspensive about $170 the whole deal. Now I asked her if she would go and she said she might not want to jump, should I try and convince her? I think she will like it but what stops her is that stigma to the whole jumping out of a good airplane etc. P.s she has never even gone on an airplane let alone jump out of one hmmm, and she weighs 225lbds is that too heavy to jump? we are suppose to go this weekend, nice weather say 72 degs shouldent be too bad in the air.By the way anyone know the temp diffrence and how it works?

Hi,

It is a lovely gesture.
If she is not really keen, I would not force her. Maybe she has flying fears that are putting her off.
Maybe a ride in a plane is a better gift first.

Maybe she is not a sporty type and will not really enjoy it, or is apprehensive of the unknown.

The worst, is if you force her and she get's hurt, you are going to feel really bad.

I sort of pushed my mom into jumping for a reality tv show and she was nervous for weeks and said she would never do it again, but she was awesome and waved at the camera and gave the thumbs up all the way down. She was 62.

So maybe show her some tandem video's and see if you can get her to agree. It is up to her to sign the indemnity form!

Know when to back off!

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

You don't have your profile filled in... but... do you live anywhere near a wondtunnel? If your friend isn't een to skydive, why not buy them some time in a tunnel?

vicki id love to go in a "wondtunnel" sounds great (:

it's probably a better gift if there is an OR attached to it. 'I'm giving you a skydiving jump OR .... if you're not interested.'

Not everyone wants to do it, and the combination of that and the usual scare factor can result in not having a very good time. Most of us enjoy the sensation of fear and the aftermath, but it's not universal.

she weighs 225lbds is that too heavy to jump?

Call the DZ first, some won't anyone over 200 lbs jump. Other will up to around 220-230, but only at 5-6k, so it's just a hop and pop. Some will taker heavier students, but only if they are in reasonable shape. I just got my sister to go on a tandem, and she weighs around 230, 5'10". We had to go to a different DZ than we planned so she could go all the way to 14k, without even an extra charge (some DZ's charge $1 per pound extra for anyone over 200 lbs). Other DZ's have a different weight limit for women and men.

My sister is very sensitive about her weight, and only wanted to jump once in her life, so I tried to make sure she got full altitude and wasn't treated differently by having to pay more. The winds were low that day, so she did have a fast butt slide landing (jumpsuits recommended). She asked afterwards why her 140 lbs boyfriend's landing was so much slower so I had to explain that her weight was a factor there.

I don't think anyone should ever be forced or talked into jumping. My advice is to offer it to her, explain how fun it is, but let her make her own decision before you pay for it.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

This doesn't work for everyone, as you don’t want to pressure them, but if you know someone well enough, and think they'd go for it, I've seen more than a few first time tandems show up at the DZ blindfolded and not know what the "surprise" is until the last moment.

NickD :)BASE 194