britboynz

Introducing the Skyboard / skydiving glider

New toy for us to play with...I want one!! :)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3482024a11,00.html

Get some air - with the board that flies
17 November 2005
By JOHN KEAST

A modern marvel of flying has been created in a workshop at Temuka in South Canterbury, just down the road from where aviation genius Richard Pearse created his flying machine just over a century ago.

Engineer Bob Harris has created Skyboard, a sleek personalised skydiving glider tipped as the next big thing in extreme aviation sports.

Harris rates the Skyboard as his best idea yet – and it flies.

"This is new generation aviation, the ultimate prolonged skydiving experience. I believe its potential in the world of extreme sports is huge and it's not hard to see that a craft that can reach speeds of 280kmh, can stay airborne for 20 minutes, and that can be easily transportable to launch height could have military implications, too," Harris said.

Imagination took flight on October 25 as Skyboard and Australian test pilot Paul Smith were released from a helicopter 10,000ft above Mount Gerald Station deep in the Mackenzie.

Smith, a crack pilot, skydiver and parachute designer, flew Skyboard on two fully controlled test flights, the first of nearly 50 seconds, the second of more than a minute.

The successful test flights have sparked interest from aviation sports enthusiasts, and delighted Harris and his Temuka team of Peter Sherris, Richard Mallett and David Holland.

Smith, a veteran of nearly 12,000 parachute jumps, and who has flown more than 25 types of aircraft, was ecstatic.

"My hands were shaking afterwards, not from fear but from sheer excitement," Smith said.

Skyboard is a 1.7m capsule in which the pilot lies face down with hands free for working the controls.

After the launch from between 10,000ft and 15,000ft, either from a helicopter or fixed-wing plane, Skyboard's front and rear wings and tailplane are activated. The pilot uses elevator controls to fly the glider before making a wheels-down or parachute-assisted landing.

Harris, who owns Steelworks International in Temuka, is no stranger to inventions and innovative thinking, but said Skyboard had been an extreme challenge.

AdvertisementAdvertisementThe New Zealand Foundation for Research and Science and Technology put up $60,000 towards the production of a Skyboard prototype, and the whole project so far has cost Harris $350,000.

Harris said the idea for Skyboard hit him out of the blue just over a year ago, but to ensure his dream was realistic he went to the University of Canterbury's mechanical engineering department.

He was delighted when post-graduate student Mark Daniel arrived at the Temuka workshop to tell him that science suggested the project was feasible. A half-scale model was then tested successfully in the university's wind tunnel.

Skyboard was tested in its natural environment for the first time in June, with extreme sport daredevil John Chuck Berry at the controls.

For the first flight, Skyboard was slung below a helicopter which flew to 10,000ft.

"We could see it being taken higher and higher - that gave me a bit of a pit in the stomach. Then we saw Chuck release the strops and then Skyboard dropped vertically for a few seconds until Chuck nailed it and got it under control. Then it arced away. It was breathtaking," Harris said.

Berry then released his and Skyboard's parachutes and the craft's first free fall was over.

Yeah I saw the footage screend on TV News this evening in NZ. Looks pretty awesome. They are still a long way from even attempting to land it though ! According to the news footage it only reached speeds of 180kmh.

They did mention designing a "belly board" version one would be able to take in the plane with you and launch it out of the plane ?!! I reckon one of the biggest disadvantages would be releasing it and hoping it lands somewhere safe and not injure a person on the ground !!

FYI Red Bull initially sponsored the development of the machine to the amount of NZ$300 000 but have now been shafted off the project and are a little pissed off !!

Rich
---------------------------------------
Everything that happens to you in life is your teacher. The secret is to learn to sit at the feet of your life and be taught.

i think that looks pretty cool.. i would take it out for a spin... but it looks huge and a lift ticket would probably cost an arma and a leg not even considering the cost of the actual thing...
if you need another test pilot im here........:P
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

I seen this on the news in NZ too last night.

It didnt look like it flew too well in all honesty.

Theres a big hoo haa at the mo with Red Bull and the designer.

RB gave the developer $350000 Kiwi to develop it.

Now the developer has dropped RB as a sponsor and they are challenging it.

Its gonna be interesting to see what happens.

Id rather a wingsuit to be honest.

www.myspace.com/durtymac

Smith, a crack pilot, skydiver and parachute designer, flew Skyboard on two fully controlled test flights, the first of nearly 50 seconds, the second of more than a minute.

Hahaha, I've heard of many things but flying for crack is a new one. Liking his work! :D

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

That is definately just another play on the Switchblade which was discussed on the forums here with the designer and featured in one of the more recent James Bond movies. I wouldn't bet on seeing one land anytime soon nor is there a military application.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

That is definately just another play on the Switchblade which was discussed on the forums here with the designer and featured in one of the more recent James Bond movies. I wouldn't bet on seeing one land anytime soon nor is there a military application.

I am told by a "well placed and usually reliable source" that DARPA has a project going along these lines.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I am told by a "well placed and usually reliable source" that DARPA has a project going along these lines.

So did/does the German Army, which is why most if not all of the info on the Switchblade was pulled offline shortly after they took interest in it. DARPA looks into all kinds of weird shit, a majority of which never makes it to the end users. IMO, if they had more real end users or people who used to be end users, some of the crack pot stuff they spend money on would probably be better spent on something that might really be useful to the end user.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

flew Skyboard on two fully controlled test flights, the first of nearly 50 seconds, the second of more than a minute.

After the launch from between 10,000ft and 15,000ft,

So for all the $300,000 spent on design and research it still isnt as good as a good tracker, and has gets embarassed by a normal wingsuit?

IMO, if they had more real end users or people who used to be end users, some of the crack pot stuff they spend money on would probably be better spent on something that might really be useful to the end user.

WHAT?!?! Design Engineers take feedback from Field SME's? no... never happen..... without a degree in 'Electrostatic Nanofiber Engineering' and a cool MIT coffee cup what could you possibly offer in the way of advise or insight...... now where should i place this bright pink switch so it the most hassle??

:P;)