psipike02

So close!!!!........but still so far....

Need some kind of advice...

I really despise winter.....and money....
Well not money as much...but winter yeah.....heres why...

Ok so I jump at Skydive Tecumseh and am currently only 3 jumps from completing my A License stuff. I have 2 H&P's (one from 5500 and 3500) and then another swoop and dock (i've already done one) and my checkout dive. Ok so 4. Problem is, I would keep jumping here, but its about that time of year where michigan turns into the Artic Circle. I wouldve finished in october, but money and weather soon became an issue.

So I'm also planning on going to the Arizona Holiday Boogie, and would LOVE to be off student status by then for obvious and various reasons. Yes I could complete it out there, but seems like more of a hassle than I'd really like. So, if anyone has a solution or any advice they can provide, it'd be incredibly helpful.

*Note* Please also understand that you're talking to a 21 year old college student, so saying stuff like, "COME ON DOWN TO FLORIDA WE'LL FINISH YA UP IN NO TIME!!!" - although very nice and helpful, isn't reasonable, as I can barely afford to eat from week to week, let alone a plane ticket to the lower 48 states.

So I guess to clarify, I'm looking for DZ's near michigan or in michigan that are still open. I dont know what the weather is like where you are, but snow and rain seems to be in the forecast, so jumping wont happen here.

Should i just wait it out and jump in AZ or road trip somewhere and finish up.
I'm also not ruling out my own DZ, I love you guys and if you read this, let me know if theres a good weekend to come out, but I know its too cold to do a coach jump right now here.
Thanks for all the help...

Blue Skies...
Carl
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Carl,

I remember when you were struggling with your AFF with uncontrollable spins...

You fought and fought hard and made it thru with style and determination and earned the respect of all the instructors.

I think if you find that energy, you will make it thru this.

Why don't you e-mail eloy and explain where you are and ask what they will expect for you to finish it up. They have a different training program (some might say better) and they should tell you how they would finish you up. I am pretty sure my coach rating would be useless down there (as I am not on their staff), otherwise I would pay my own slot and finish you up (you can always ask, but I bet they will say no). You have invested so much so far into getting your rating! Once you get your licence, let's do a jump.

BBarnhouse who posts here is a staff member of Eloy. I met her briefly last time I was down there and I am sure she will hook you up.

Travis

P.S. Just for a chuckle... I have seen a lot of AFF students come thru the program, and I don't meet them all or talk with them all... But I knew I had to meet you when Ron landed next to me, on one of your first AFF dives, and he said, "now I know what a quarter back sees the moment before he is sacked" in reference to him choosing to jump in and stopping the spin. Anyone that makes Ron work for his money earns my respect. :P (note to the world, the Ron in question I have never seen post here).

You're kind of in a good position in that only two of your four jumps have to be done from full altitude, which gives you a *bit* more flexibility with the weather, though if it's cold enough that the DZs are shutting down, it doesn't matter.

Don't know your area very well so I'll defer to the locals on what your other options might be. Contacting Eloy to make plans for finishing up down there just in case is probably a good idea as well. It really shouldn't be too much of a pain if you work with your current instructors and Eloy to make sure you come down there with proper documentation.

Then you can make your first jumps as a licensed skydiver with all your new DZ.com friends! Find me and I'll get you on a 16-way hybrid or something. ;) Just kidding, but I'd be glad to take you on a two or three way.:)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I hear you on the winter. It hit so fast here this past week that I couldn't get myself interested in driving out this weekend.

But it's probably easiest to suck it up and get it done at home. That said, I don't think you'd find it to be that big a hassle to finish at Eloy. Your remaining requirements are pretty clearly spelled out, unlike jumping ship in the middle of an AFF program where there is a lot of variation.

Carl-boo, we will try our hardest to get you done. Next time less frat parties and more jumping in the Fall :P just kidding. :D
So, I think we can at least get your h&p's done...since that is all we do all winter long. At least that will knock down 2 out of 4 jumps. The rest you may have to goto warmer climates for :(. What if you roadtrip to like Skydive Atlanta or The Farm for a weekend. Does Cross Keys take students through the winter? I beleive those are all about a 10 hour drive. +/- a couple of hours.
I have your digits so next time we are jumping out at the dz, I will give you a call. We will jump throughout the winter as long as it is above 40 degrees. Unless it is New Years day, then anything goes. :)

We will jump throughout the winter as long as it is above 40 degrees

40 Degrees? That's like jumping in the summer:P

If you're looking for warmer weather CrossKeys is not the place. :|But if you want to jump in the cold CK will have planes going up year round
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Wow, first, thanks to EVERYONE who's offered some kind of suggestions for helping me. Yes I have contacted Eloy and they said I could do my checkout there for a price of $150. I would be able to jump there, but they said I can't rent from Square-2 without a license, but I could rent the student gear. So i guess thats a plus.....kind of?

I definately would like to just be off student status before then, but thats definately an option of just sacking up and finishing out there. To those who have offered suggestions, I am also looking into those too!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement though also!! You have no idea how much that means and all the help you're giving....I really do appreciate it and love you guys for it...:P

----Hellfish #707----

We will jump throughout the winter as long as it is above 40 degrees

40 Degrees? That's like jumping in the summer:P

If you're looking for warmer weather CrossKeys is not the place. :|But if you want to jump in the cold CK will have planes going up year round

:PLast winter we were jumping on a blue sky sunny day with a nice 21 degree temperature on the ground. We were in denial what the jump run temp was, but who cares when you are having fun...

These DZs that close down because of the cold... I just can't comprehend. :P;);):)B|

I think snow jumps would be fun...I wonder how many DZs are open for that?

From personal experience, they are HELL OF A LOT OF FUN!

They shovel the peas for the tandems, so when you look down from the plane all you see is white with a round circle... If the hangar roofs still have snow on them, everything blends in. The runway normally is visible, but if it is concrete, it is just another shade of white.

Landing outside of the peas is great fun. Like riding a sled down a hill and not knowing if you are going to fall off at the end... I think I face planted last winter when I could not run in the snow...

I actually think snow days, where the city is covered in white, is the most beautiful time to skydive. It looks all so clean and magical... Kind of like jumping over an ocean. I remember one day clearly where all you could see what white wonderland everywhere you looked...

But then again, I love snow.

Snow inhibits depth perception so some of the first time winter jumpers go sliding through the snow drifts. Like I said, great fun.

Yep.....If I did it, I'd be one of those people....right through the snow drift....:P

----Hellfish #707----

Sounds cool (no pun intended)...however, would you guys be laughing at me if I hit the drifts on purpose..just for fun?

:D:D

I still think one should complete training ASAP if only to keep the learning curve going and building mental and muscle memory
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Sounds cool (no pun intended)...however, would you guys be laughing at me if I hit the drifts on purpose..just for fun?

:D:D

I still think one should complete training ASAP if only to keep the learning curve going and building mental and muscle memory

Dear Student,

We have talked about obstacle avoidance, Tree Landings, Water Landings, Power Line Landings, and Buildings... We are almost wrapped up with your A licence card. It looks like one signature line is still open. Let me ask you that one...

"What does the SIM say the proper procedure is for plowing thru a snow drift?'

he he he he