billvon

Pictures from 10-way

Did you have some wind or rain to push out the crud in the air? Very clear day out there.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Did you have some wind or rain to push out the crud in the air? Very clear day out there.

Actually this was a very typical day as far as winter visibility is concerned.

Visibility gets better thoughout winter and if it's not cloudy in February one can typiclally expect to be able to see all the way to Mexico over a hundred miles away.

Of course, we make up for this in July and August.

MOST of the visibility issues in Southern California have nothing to do with man made air pollution. MOST of what people assume is smog is actually haze; simply small bits of water wrapped around salt molecules in the air. True, there IS some man made stuff floating around too, but the majority of what you can see isn't.

In the winter we suffer the inversion layer less so the particulates aren't trapped and the air quality can be quite stunning.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

In the winter we suffer the inversion layer less

That is strange, because in Phoenix the inversion is in the winter.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

In the winter we suffer the inversion layer less

That is strange, because in Phoenix the inversion is in the winter.

I can't really say I know enough about the micro-climate of Phoenix to discuss the -causes- of the inversion layer there.

During the warmer months, the inversion layer in SoCal is fed by the relatively cooler air of the ocean being drawn under and then trapped by the warmer air above it. Mountain ranges surrounding most of SoCal also block most of this ocean air from travelling laterally so over time it accumulates particulates of all sorts but mostly its visible component is simply moisture that can't -quite- cool enough to form a "proper" cloud and doesn't have enough energy to to rise any further.

The word "smog" comes from a simpler time when folks didn't quite understand the exact nature of air pollution, but the combination of "Smoke" and "Fog" isn't too far off the mark. It's just that there's a heck of a lot larger component of "fog" than most people usually consider when they're talking about that "grey" stuff over LA.

The really dangerous stuff (ozone, carbon monoxide, ect), for the most part, you can't really see.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver