RkyMtnHigh

Burnout

Ugh...I think I'm in it. I don't want to be in it, but I've lost my thrill for the sport. So I'm trying CRW and Wingsuits to reignite the passion for the sport. I've jumped the past few weekends but really didn't care if I was on the load or not..I really don't like this lull but I hear that it's "normal" to go through this phase.

Have any of you taken a time out because of burnout or other priorities and how long did you take a break?

Yep, it happens right at 300 jumps and only 2 yrs in the sport. ;)
I've seen MANY just like you leave the sport.

Try instructing, it will make jumping more rewarding and worth while inbetween your "fun jumps".

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Yep, it happens right at 300 jumps and only 2 yrs in the sport. ;)
I've seen MANY just like you leave the sport.

Try instructing, it will make jumping more rewarding and worth while inbetween your "fun jumps".

Be safe
Ed

That's the plan..I'm going for my coach rating at Zhills mid January..hopefully that'll renew my zest for the sport.B|

And you were so excited just a few weeks ago.

Jump or don't. Either you're feeling it or you're not. But if you're having to think/post about it this much, maybe you don't want to jump.

Or, you're looking for people to talk you back into it. In which case maybe it's time to think about why you're jumping. If you're not jumping for you, then why bother?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Have any of you taken a time out because of burnout or other priorities and how long did you take a break?

every year for about 5 months all of us in the northern parts of the country get a break. that has an effect on the fact that all of us feel pretty excited when the weather turns good enough for jumpin' again.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Perhaps that has something to do with it as well. I can jump year round here in Florida and since I've moved here that's all I do every weekend.

The original post isn't about quitting, just about how to regain excitement that I used to have. I used to try to get in as many jumps in a day as possible, and lately I've been content with a few jumps.

What you're feeling is not that unusual. I remember going through something similar. If you don't feel like skydiving on a weekend, don't. Getting away from it for weekend or two will help you regain some perspective. I spent 10 years skydiving every single weekend...and yes...I burned out.

Personally, I have a number of hobbies, skydiving is one of them. Since I don't skydive every single weekend...when I do skydive, it's a treat. I get to see all my friends and do something I really love.

The next weekend may see me climbing in the Rockies...where I also have lots of friends and am doing something I love.

There is nothing wrong with having more than one passion...it makes you more interesting.

The original post isn't about quitting, just about how to regain excitement that I used to have. I used to try to get in as many jumps in a day as possible, and lately I've been content with a few jumps.

I don't see that as a problem. If you're content with fewer jumps, you're content with fewer jumps. It doesn't make you less of a skydiver if you don't feel the need to jump as many times as daylight allows every weekend.

Personally, I think it's a mark of maturing in the sport when you realize there are other fun things to do on a beautiful Saturday.

Back to the original questions. Yes, I've chosen to take a few breaks from the sport over the years. The longest I stayed on the ground by choice was 6 months. Each time I took a break, that first jump back was like coming home again.

Most of the skydivers I know who have been in the sport for a long time have other interests as well. I'm tempted to recommend that you look for something to do in addition to the jumping. Find something you have always wanted to try and go for it. I say this because as much as I enjoy the jumping, it is my number one pastime, I do have other interests. That way I have something else to do that I enjoy on bad weather days or just on days when I don't feel like jumping.

Another thing that has helped me is to put a bit more structure in my jumping. That is part of the reason I started doing 4way. It gives me a group of familiar people to jump with with common goals and a desire to learn. It also gives me measurable goals to go for which gives me a sense of accomplishment when I achieve them.

The coaching may be just the ticket for you. You could also try to put together a structured freefly team to train with and compete.

Good Luck!

I haven't.. although my first 5 years in the sport were super slow (I accumulated only 200 jumps in 5 years) and the last three have been off the hook going from 300 a year two years ago to 500+ a year in the last two years.

Every time I don't really feel like jumping, it's usually certain kind of things.. I've gotten stuck at one point were I just didnt see any progress in my freeflying. I put on the bumper suit and went out and did a bunch of 4 ways with others.. and then went back to freeflying..

Variety in your skydiving, and setting goals you want to achieve.. and seeing yourself progress towards those goals is what keeps me going and what keeps me excited about jumping.

Just my 2cts.

I quit once for 25 years due to burn-out. I quit after about 300 jumps. When I came back it was kind of like being reborn. Things were great. After about another 450 jumps, and five years, I'm starting to feel a lot less enthusiasm about jumping. I've been doing other sports, taking a long break due to winter, and I hope to get the bug back come Spring. About all I've ever done is RW. Maybe I need to buy a birdman suit or go freeflying.....Steve1

I know what ya mean. I started to burn after about 300 jumps, I was still leaning alot about FF had just quit our RW team and was trying to laern to fly agrresively some HP canopy,but I was haning around alot of up jumpers and to be REAL serious abuot the sport and forgot is was supposed to be fun.Then I wanted to be a TM ,and things were'nt fun anymore.So I went for my coach rating and started ta hang around jumper with < 100 jumps. Well they still had that enthusiasm I lost, they wanted to learn but were'nt over serious, They taught me to have fun again. Go for that coach rating,hang around jumpers with 1-100 jumps,it will un burn you and you will LOVE to share them just your knowledge and good heart you got you will share that also! REmember "spread the love'" GOD BLESS Bryan
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Bryan..tonight we had our regional dinner with 3 of us who are skydivers, however our newest is a little freaked out about canopy skills. I have so been there where she is with her fears and concerns and I told her that I would help as much as possible to comfort her and help build her confidence through my learning curve experiences...my coworker J rolled his eyes and said "nothing to it, she just needs to just go do it" and I told him it wasn't that simple..wish it was, but it's not for some. So we went thru various scenarios and she felt better and he said "she's your challenge now"...my response is "fine..I just want her to understand how much of how she feels and fears is normal". She's comfortable with me and my stories of my learning curve and shit, if that's what it takes then that's what it takes.

I hope you're talking about hitting the slopes on a beautiful Saturday in the winter time when it's too cold to jump and the DZ is closed.

That's one. But I'm also talking about going for a hike, riding bikes (pedal and/or motor), having a picnic and playing on the swings at a park, going for a drive in the country, or even lazing around the house all day on perfect weather Saturdays in the middle of summer.

Jumping out of airplanes is important to me. But it's not my entire life anymore. I like it that way. YMMV.

I know you will do great with her,you know as well as I do "nothing to it' from 1 person can be a big deal to another.Understanding,patience and confidence mean everthing to a student and you have all those skills,not to mention compssion. you'll love it as much as she will love learning it! Good luck and rememeber have fun! Bryan
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

Jumping out of airplanes is important to me. But it's not my entire life anymore. I like it that way. YMMV.

I could not agree more. I experienced burnout a few years back (when I had about 450 jumps).. I was so burned out that I sold all of my gear and did not think about it for 4 years.. I was that burned out..

Do other things with your weekends and (maybe) the spark will come back. Now I am 1000% more enthusiastic than have ever been. However, I do things differently now.. I am more of an "Event" jumper.. big ways, boogies, etc. No more instructing or rigging -- show up, skydive, have a lot of laughs with friends, and go home (wife and kid at home)..

If the weather is bad I don't go down to the DZ and "hope" for the clouds to clear, I do other things -- jet ski, park with the family, whatever...

Bla bla.. I am sure you heard this all before :)

.. and don't feel "bad" that you are not at the dropzone on a sunny saturday.. enjoy doing other things and skydiving will most likely become fun again..

I can relate to you. I am on my break right now. Decided to take a year off in April. Still waiting. I got bunt out on DZ bullshit, and wasnt having fun anymore. I'ts good to take a break sometimes...that way you come back with a fresh a start and point of view
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer