NlghtJumper

Airborne School

I recently found out that to further strive towards my ultimate goal, I need to go thru Airborne School. For those who have already gone through this schooling, is there any tips you can offer to help make the experiance as painless as possible?

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

First, good luck getting an Airborne slot. They don't give many anymore, and if you are already in the Army, you will find it difficult to get one.

Second, if you are in any kind of shape whatsoever and have any sort of military discipline, then Airborne will be a breeze. I personally thought the school was a blast! Kind of a treat compared to my other schools.

Well, I put in for Ft Bragg, so getting a slot shouldnt be all that hard. And yeah, I am in the ARMY. I can run pretty well. My very first APFT I ran low 13's to the high 12's. Being at 5000' altitude and trying to run in the winter has diminished that capability, but I am sure I can pick it right back up.
The main schools I have been to were Basic [Ft Benning - C/1-38 INF] and AIT [Ft Rucker - A/1-13 AVN]. Both of those were a cake walk. And I know I wont have a problem going out the door... From what it seems, it is going to be simple. But I dont want to underestimate it and be over my head...

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

Mike

Airborne school was one of the most interesting and enjoyable military schools I attended. I went in February of 1984 so this may be a little out of date. First, start a rigorous PT program, you must be able to run 4 miles at a 9 minute per mile pace. You will also need to add pull-ups to your routine, when I went through we needed to do 7 correct (emphasis on correct) pull-ups. Other than the PT requirements, the school is easy. Be prepared for break area procedures (mind games during the first week). If you are not wearing ACU's make sure your boots are highly polished and you keep your uniforms pressed. The mind set you need to take to this course is attention to detail. The blackhats will attempt to weed out those who lack attention to detail and cannot perform under pressure. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will assist you in any way possible. Good luck to you.

Kevin

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!

You DO know that Airborne School is in Ft. Benning, don't you? I don't think being at Ft. Bragg will increase your chances of getting a slot much. It isn't about where you are as much as what you do. And nowadays if Airborne wasn't part of your original MOS and training, then getting a slot for the school is very difficult.

Can you pass an APFT? Good, you just smoked jump school physically. The constant PLFs made me a bit sore, but nothing Motrin didn't cure. Physically, the school is a joke.

Slots? Not hard to come by especially if you are in a slot that calls for the "P" identifier on your MTOE/ UMR. I guess your school date will depend on when your unit can send you. Summer is a little tougher because of the ROTC and Academy types that are there taking up the slots for their badge finding trip.

Keep your feet and knees together, pay attention to the Black Hats (don't jump off the swing landing trainer), and don't mess with the Regimental guys. The rest will take care of itself.

Good luck.
Class 44-93

I wrote an article for Skydiving years back.....PM me your Email and I will see if I can find it and send it to you.

It broke down the whole program day by day. This was 1999 so it will have changed some, but not much.

Being at Bragg helps, but slots depend on where you are. Sometimes, unless your MOS needs to be airborne, they will try to make you reup for the slot.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

He being an Aviator on the conventional side, all the aviation units at Bragg are part of 18th ABN CORP. Almost all thier slots are ABN postitions so he should be pretty safe in getting ABN school TDY enroute.

My experience with ABN school. I went in JAN '87. I went back as a Black Hat and stayed for 4 years from Jan '95 to Feb '99, leaving as the Jump Branch Master Trainer. And return 2 or 3 times a year for Training or to teach.

The entry PT test needs to be stellar! The pushups and Sit ups are graded with a perfectionists eye. Running is running, stay in front and you will not have to worry about the time.

The Black Hats do relish the Brake Area Proceedures, it is part of the "Traditional Right of Passage". Drink water and do your best you'll be fine.

They like to mess with "skydivers", which is funny since a bunch of them are part of the Demo team there (I was for 3 of my 4 years there, it helped me get my current job).

Knowing a proper PLF may help before you go , but they will teach you and give you plenty of practice ;).

ABN School is not acedemically challenging and for some one who already jumps it is just getting used to being so LOW for a jump. ABN School is about over comming fear and doing as your taught, no matter what you think you already know.

I will be there from 2 to 6 Jan 2006 teaching another course to several (45) instructors and can ask if any thing has changed since I was there 3 months ago.

You could always e-mail SFC Bryan Patrick of the "Silver Wings" Demo Team (you know use the Skydiver life lineB|) you can find his e-mail on the Ft. Benning web page.

But hey have fun with it! It is 3 week (or 4 weeks if you get to do zero/detail week, arrive at noon the thursday before your class starts and you can stay off the detail roster) brake from all the crazy stuff you do in the Army!

Try to avaoid the summer classes, they are usually full of cadets (over the class limits) and are a whole lot more hecktic.

Once you graduate and get to Bragg go to Raeford and find "slotperfect", "dahlilama" and a few others and you can then focus on the GK part of your plans!
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

If you can run far and keep your feet and knees together you will have no problem.

Just dont get hurt. Alot of guys want to be "Honor Grad" and push themselves harder than they really need to and end up getting hurt and sent to a leg unit. Just get through it. Finish your runs, do your training and apply a few gallons of icy hot.

You DO know that Airborne School is in Ft. Benning, don't you? I don't think being at Ft. Bragg will increase your chances of getting a slot much. It isn't about where you are as much as what you do. And nowadays if Airborne wasn't part of your original MOS and training, then getting a slot for the school is very difficult.

In theory, everyone in the 82nd Airborne Division at Ft. Bragg must be jump qualified. That's the way it was a few years ago, anyway. I've met exceptions, but not many.

For Great Deals on Gear

Oh yeah, they are all in "P" positions.

If he isn't TDY enroute he will go TDY and return once assigned.

If he gets in to the 82nd AVN Brigade he will get big bucks! Flight Pay and Jump Pay, new rig in 3 months new canopy 5 months later oh the possibilities!;)

I had a lot of fun when I went thru.. then again I was USAF and an NCO... Run run run.. I loved to run...drop for 10... BWAHAHAHAHAHA.. I was already used to dropping for 25....but I think we dropped over and over about 40 times in a row... it was getting a little old about then. The rest of it was just doing as you were told when you were told and have fun watching all the ARMY stuff..and not cracking a smile as they got the slick sleeves to do as they were told.:ph34r:

Last year the PT test was back in on day 1.
This year it may go away again, to many didn't make it in!

Statistically when we had a PT test only around 5% of the failures failed out for PT related issues. With out the PT test, of the failures 30 to 40% where PT issues. You would see whole platoons of recycles marching to the next company to try and make it through week 1 all over again.

If you run well and can pushup lots, you'll be fine.

1. Do NOT fall asleep, or get even droopy eyes at any time.
2. Do NOT stand out from the crowd, just blend in with the rest.
3. Keep feet and knees together, legs squeezed tight from nutsack to ankles, knees slightly bent, and even a sloppy PLF will look close to ok. Might even keep you from breaking something.

Beyond that, have a nice fun easy three-week break from your real job.
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts

They put the shortest and slowest females at the front of the formation run, so you basically run in place while moving forward. Do lots of chin-ups before you go, because you have to do a minimum amount to move on. Try your best to get a ground floor room in the barracks, cause you will be sore as hell going up and down the steps. DON'T TELL THEM YOU ARE A SKYDIVER. Walk out the door and PLF, and like the other guy said earlier in the thread - hold your feet ann knees together as hard as possible - and remember your emergency procedures. STAY ALERT - STAY ALIVE!
There are many in government who have a very simple tax proposal in mind. There will be only two lines on the tax form: 1-How much did you make last year? 2-Send it.

I don't care how many skydives you've got. Until you have stepped into complete darkness at 800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs of parachute, son you are still a leg.
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

Military airborne doesn't recognize skydiving experience - and skydivers don't recognize military airborne experience. Of course, the only thing the two have in common is the nerve to exit aircraft in flight and do a PLF.

P.S. - I've had my share of night combat equipment jumps at Bragg
There are many in government who have a very simple tax proposal in mind. There will be only two lines on the tax form: 1-How much did you make last year? 2-Send it.