Superman32

Gear and boogies

I know there have been threads about this before but I just can't find it.

Dublin is going to be my beer (non home Dz) boogie. How do you secure your gear while at big boogies.
I will be flying in and tenting, so locking in the car is not an option.
It's very sad that this is even a concern, but with whuffos around and unfortunately less than honest jumpers, like that freaky kid at WFFC :(
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Make friends with someone who does have a car/truck that you can lock your stuff in, at least at night. During the day, try to hang out with a group of people so there's always someone around your gear.

I haven't had any trouble; but maybe I've just been fortunate. I always have had somewhere to lock stuff up at night, though.

Folks who have been to Dublin may have more specifics about the setup and experience there, of course.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've usually just kept it in my tent with me, ... Guess I never really considered someone going in there to take it.. :S

Ohh, and see you at Dublin B|

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Several years ago, a few friends were sleeping in tents as well. With nobody to lock up their gear for them, they bought several pairs of legcuffs to pick up the slack. Every night they would cuff one side to their ankle and the other side to the rig's MLW. A little uncomfortable to sleep with, but they still had their gear at the end of the week.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

A bicycle chain/cable type lock works pretty good. If you're really nervous, you could use one of the kryptonite type locks.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

A bicycle chain/cable type lock works pretty good. If you're really nervous, you could use one of the kryptonite type locks.

Preferrably the cable type, they're harder to cut than a chain, that and a large immobile object to lock it to should work great.
The only naturals in this sport shit thru feathers...

look for me in dublin. You can keep your rig in my camper or my truck. It will be locked at night so you'll be ok....Just cost you some good beer..
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

No piss beer either. I had some dude bring nattie lite into my camper once..I am still trying to clean the air from that piss beer...I should be in dublin 5 days before helping spence set up.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

Call me old-fashioned, but I just can't digest the list of stolen gear. Why in the world do people steal gear? I know some would say that people steal everything, so why not gear? But honestly, who's gonna buy that gear? No skydiver I know would ever purchase gear that there would be even the slightest chance was stolen from a fellow skydiver. Now if it's a skydiver that steals someone else's gear to have, they should be locked up after a good ass-kicking.

Also, I think all DZ's should install rig-sized lockers. With theft like this, I think it would be a great idea. They could even be pay lockers - so pay for themselves over time. Who would mind paying a bit to keep their rig safe? I know I wouldn't.

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

Call me old-fashioned, but I just can't digest the list of stolen gear. Why in the world do people steal gear? I know some would say that people steal everything, so why not gear? But honestly, who's gonna buy that gear? No skydiver I know would ever purchase gear that there would be even the slightest chance was stolen from a fellow skydiver. Now if it's a skydiver that steals someone else's gear to have, they should be locked up after a good ass-kicking.

Also, I think all DZ's should install rig-sized lockers. With theft like this, I think it would be a great idea. They could even be pay lockers - so pay for themselves over time. Who would mind paying a bit to keep their rig safe? I know I wouldn't.

I have to admit I did not check the stolen gear list when purchasing used gear. I don't think many do.

I think those cases where thieves are caught should get much more publicity within our own community, so that thieves that are jumpers are deterred, at least more than they are now.

Many DZs have gear lockers. Usually they are quite popular. I don't like the idea of not having my gear with me. I also don't like my gear being subject to theft at the DZ. Such lockers are not really very secure. There have also been some fires recently, at least I know I have insurance for it at home. The issue of the temperature and humidity environment is also valid, my closet is certainly more friendly than many of the locker locations I've seen.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have to admit I did not check the stolen gear list when purchasing used gear. I don't think many do.

No reflection on you personally, but this has to stop.

The list of stolen gear is readily available from more than one source. EACH SKYDIVER needs to check the stolen gear list before agreeing to buy any piece of equipment where ID can be established (serial number, etc) Also, if you have used gear right now, it should be checked against the stolen gear lists and if it comes up, you should identify the person who sold this to you to the authorities.

As long as thieves think there is a market for this, they will continue to steal. If we start checking serial number beforehand (i.e., someone has something used for sale, ask for the serial, check it on the stolen gear list before agreeing to buy) we can do a lot to shut down this activity. If it's too much of a bother, then we become enablers for the thieves, which will only make them steal more -

I'm assuming that riggers packing reserves might be checking serials on gear to see if it appears on stolen gear lists. If not, it may be a good idea to do so.

Buy a really big, ugly, highly poisonous snake. Put 'im in your gear bag. Problem solved.

uh, you forgot to add that you would need first to build up an immunity to said snakes venom so that you don't get bit and die by your own "security device."

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

No reflection on you personally, but this has to stop.

The list of stolen gear is readily available from more than one source. EACH SKYDIVER needs to check the stolen gear list before agreeing to buy any piece of equipment where ID can be established (serial number, etc)

Quite right. I just checked, and everything that I've ever bought used was not stolen. :)

With nobody to lock up their gear for them, they bought several pairs of legcuffs to pick up the
slack.

That'd probably be a new one for whoever they bought the cuffs from... "No, these aren't for my
girlfriend/boyfriend - I'm trying to keep someone from stealing my parachute."

A little uncomfortable to sleep with, but they still had their gear at the end of the week.

I will note that it is possible to buy cuffs that are more comfortable than what the police have - you'll
need to supply your own chain or cable and lock.

I wonder if you could use one of those alarms like stores have for expensive display items, where there
is a little box with an alarm, and an electrical cable that runs from the box, through the handles (or
whatever) of the items, and then back to the box. If the cable is unplugged or cut, the alarm goes off.
You'd have to secure the box, though, or somebody would just steal the rig complete with alarm and
remove the alarm later.

Sometimes, the goal is not to make some item impossible to steal, but to convince a thief that it'd be
better to steal a similar item from someone else. For instance, a lot of car security things are like this.
You might not like the idea of saying, essentially, "go steal somebody else's rig", but that might be an
effective way to keep your rig. On the other hand, this can lead to an arms race. "Dude, back in the
day, we thought a 400-way was really huge, and we didn't even have armed guards for our gear at
boogies!"

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

This assumes, however, that the stolen gear list on this site is complete.

I never did a comparison between this site and other resources, but the USPA website has a search engine to check for gear by make, serial, etc.

HERE is a link to a page on their site where you can jump off to search if you wish.