Lew

Fear

Hey girl! Just get to the DZ, spend a day relaxing and just take it all back in. Don't rush yourself and get back in the air under your own terms.

I betcha Mykel would take you on your refresher and get you back in the swing of things!

We look forward to having you back Lauren!:)

is

Let me ask a question that I have been dealing with, not so much anymore (I jump much more since I have my own gear) but alot when I first started.

I used to lenghten the times between jumps because I liked the the feeling of fear I experienced. I found that jumping a 2nd time soon after making a jump was pretty easy. After a week of so the fear seemingly returned. I'd go 2 or 3 weeks between jumps just to get more out of that return jump. odd?

I used to lenghten the times between jumps because I liked the the feeling of fear I experienced. I found that jumping a 2nd time soon after making a jump was pretty easy. After a week of so the fear seemingly returned. I'd go 2 or 3 weeks between jumps just to get more out of that return jump. odd?

Odd?
Maybe - but me too. I love the added intensity a bit of time off gives that first exit back
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies. I do need to trust myself, my training, and my gear. I really appreciate the links to any sort of reading material on this topic! Just reading the words of my fellow skydivers makes me feel so much better. I can't believe that I thought I was alone with my battle of fear in this sport. Thanks everyone!! The financial forecast will have me jumping again by the end of January!! I am excited!

Jumping out of an airplane is not a natural act. Humans are born with two basic fears - falling and loud noises, because a lot of the trouble we can get into usually involves one or both. Everything else we learn to be afraid of.

About the only thing I can suggest is that you just jump a lot, then you won't feel nearly as scared, nearly so much of the time. I was out of the sport for many years and when I came back I felt just as scared as a new student. Sure, I WANTED to jump, but I was dry mouthed with fear on the first ride up in many years.

But it will never go completely away and some days it will come back and surprise you when other times it won't bother yyou at all. It's something you learn how to accept and is probably part of what makes it so exciting. And on the bright side, honest healthy fear keeps you sharp, honest and on your toes. It gives you quicker reactions and makes you think twice about doing dumb stuff. You can actually use your natural fearsto your advantage once you understand them.

Have a good time, you know you're gonna love it !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Yes, it's all true. Fear does diminish over time, but it does return at the oddest moments, even for some regular jumpers (meaning just about every week during the season). In general, you'll be more relaxed and SAFER the more you jump, as long as you don't get too confident and push the envelope.

I can remember doing a balloon jump with about 1700 jumps at the time. Chad looked at me and said that I looked scared, and I was. The total quiet and the setting was new to me, not like a chopper. I think I was worried about avoiding the corn and beans in a new area. Anyhow, landed OK.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Hi Lauren,
I do over 400 jumps a year for the last several after taking almost 2 years off after only 1 tandem and 4 AFF jumps. Some of that fear is with me on every jump, it helps us survive. 3-4 weeks without jumping makes it alot worse! Come back to us and we'll help u get back over it.
Blues,
Conway

Fear is what makes this fun.
If you didn't get an adrenaline rush (with all the butterflies, jitters and euphoria it brings) then why would you really bother giving up thousands of dollars, your free weekends at the DZ and hours every workday typing on this forum?!
You need to recognize the difference between "Oh shit, I have a high-speed mal and I'm going to die in 10 seconds if I don't clear it" and "Oh dear, I have some butterflies in my tummy because I haven't jumped in a little while..."
Actually, both are wonderful human emotions that remind us we are alive. Both are authentic feelings, so embrace each as it comes. The uneasiness you feel coming back is great: I wish I could get that every day I jump! (unfortunately for me, I have to go about 3 weeks without jumping before that kicks in)
At the end of the day, if you let healthy, natural emotions stop you from living your life then you are little more than a hostage trapped in the prison of your own mind. Same goes for any other activity in your life, from relationships to career. You won't find the answer on this forum. The answer has to be you.
Then again, I suppose you could always just watch safely from the ground and sip warm tea until you die of natural causes?

in reply to "Fear is what makes this fun. "

It's more fun being ten foot tall and bullet-proof;)

One thing about skydiving is it enables you to overcome your fears and replace them with survival tactics. This can be a very empowering experience especially if you're used to a dull life.

It is possible to get a bit hooked on scaring yourself to get a buzz . This is not really what skydiving is all about...at least for most people .

Fear can totally immobilse a person & sometimes people are afraid for good reason.

If you are experiencing fear that limits your ability to operate in a potentially stressful situation ( eg a malfunction) then perhaps it would be wiser to get up to speed with a slightly safer sport where one little fear related episode won't necessarily ruin you life.

Trust in yourself is something that develops over time and if nurtured realistically with safety consciousness will get you as far in the sport as you realistically want to go.

Enjoy ..don't be frightened
:)

For me the fear thing is comlicated, when I did my first tandem jump last aug I felt nothing near fear, not even nervousness.

This feeling lingered on when I started my training and now it has gone so far that I'm afraid of not being afraid.
That at one point it'll come at all once, and that it's gonna happen when I need it the least, for instance in an emergency.

Over time I've started feeling "more" on the ride up, mostly a higher degree of nervosity but not the kind of fear that I "should" be feeling given the circumstances.

For me, my second jump, I was more afraid than my first, i think that is because i had watched more videos on malfunctions and such. I deal with it, by telling jyself that i will be able to handle any problem that comes my way, and remind myself... i possible have 2 chances.

funny story, that i cant remember who told me it....

this guy had gone bungee jumping a lot, so it didnt scare him much anymore, and he went on his wedding , and he told the guy who worked it that he wanted it to be memorable, and wanted to relive the fear of the first time... they guy working it was like, ok, i guess... So when the man was ready to jump, and right as he was falling backwards, the worker, looked at him eyes wide, and yelled "wait, not yet!!!"

... now thats fear for ya! ... wish i could remember where i heard that story from.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Some people love fear, and some fear it. Depends on what you like. I love fear and was probably the most afraid i've ever been on my first jump (no tandems) and i rock climb and ride street bikes. It was fun and it got me hooked, but now its less fear and more fun. It can become dangerous, for me fun is something you could have died doing, but didnt. Fear keeps you on your toes and lets your body do things you thought were not possible. Just dont push the limit too far and stay in your skill range.

in reply to'Over time I've started feeling "more" on the ride up, mostly a higher degree of nervosity but not the kind of fear that I "should" be feeling given the circumstances. "

You're probably picking up on other people's fears.
I experience very little fear as such but lots of anticipation.:)
Things that make me get a bit afeared occassionally is usually other people's apparent lack of safety consciousness and care for those around them. I can feel the risk level rise...usually unecessarily.

Skydiving itself is just so much fun fear rarely comes into it. If you develop a high standard of safety consciousness in yourself and those around you there really is little to fear. Of course some things are out of our control.

If you are not sure how you will react in an emergency situation an experienced coach can raise your stress levels to a similar degree on the ground for you. This may not be exactly the same but you can train yourself / be trained to react in an automatic way to a dangerous situation .
It is a good idea to keep some conscious action control at these times however so don't fully robotosise your reactions .
Some other sports are good at inproving your reaction times. eg off road cycling or running. here you get to make lots of decisions on the run

There is an animal inside you waiting to come out and help when required. Feed it a bit and you'll know it's there waiting to help.

:)

I was terrified at the door my fisrt 15 jumps. Everytime i finally let go i remembered why i kept doing it. Eventually i learned the equipment thouroghly and got enough jumps ina short period of time to really trust my equipment, reactions, and procedures and fully appreciate the entirety of the sport ;)
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983