OSOK

For the hardcore trackers...

Well, this isn't my first post about tracking.

This time I'm interested to hear what people have to say about "advancing" in tracking. I'd like to know how your learning curves have taken place... how did you start tracking, what changes did you make to improve, what obstacles did you have to overcome, at what points you seemed to be stuck, etc.

All responses appreciated.

I started tracking as a student. Learning to go in a straight line was the only real obstacle. After that it was just trying to improve my technique. Most people are lazy trackers, never really pushing as hard as they can to really move across the sky. That's the only real obstacle I've seen. Maybe have a realy good tracker chase you with video, then debrief on your technique, then go up and prcatice. It's really not that hard. :)

I'm obsessed with tracking dives! I rarely do anything else and the biggest single thing that has helped me progress is having a bunch of likeminded friends to regularly jump with. Our jumps tend to be 'no mercy', ie if you get hosed on exit, or get burbled or just have an off day you will get left behind. Waaay, waaay behind. That bit of friendly pressure is great cos it pushes you to track better and better everytime.

So find someone else who's looking to do the same thing and get going! John's advice is sound as well, video can be a real help. People often think they're in "max track" when infact they're in a gentle delta position with a big-ass arch on.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I LOVE tracking jumps too. I really started to progress when I realised that your body IS really a wing, just with a uber high wingloading. When you realise that and you translate the physics of say a canopy or aircraft wing to your body, you will be able to get more out of your tracking, or any jump with forward movement.
It blows my mind how you can dive just like a canopy and convert that energy to forward movent and use that to create lift.B|

For the tracking lovers, a 100% tracking video i did.

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3305

I'm not a hard-core tracker, but I'm trying to improve. Here's what I'd suggest...

Find a really good tracker and ask him or her to do a couple tracking jumps with you. When I had about 80 jumps I did a coach jump with Dusty at Skydive Arizona (who, I later learned, has placed high and won tracking derbies) ... he watched me for just one jump and I got enough tips to really turbo-charge my tracking. At the holiday boogie I did a few tracking dives with SudsyFist, the winner of the latest tracking derby, and learned more to refine my technique.

I've found that I do better in smaller tracking groups ... for me, 1:1 with a great tracker is the best way for me to learn and improve. I can really focus on my technique without having to worry about where a bunch of others are in the sky and can get good feedback.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I understand it's not really that hard... but I'm not talking about the average track when breaking off from a 4-way. I'm talking about the kind of tracking we see in the Tracking Derby and other competitions.

You're correct about average tracking when breaking off from 4-way. That's where I see so much poor technique. That's why I suggested coaching and video, like NWflyer. But if you're paying attention, you'd be amazed how much you can improve your tracking all on your own, with a little ground coaching. Tracking well is not difficult, but it is hard work. Most people are just lazy at it on breakoff.

Tracking dives in groups are , imo, not agreat way to learn how to track. I've yet to do one where I have to track hard to keep up with the rabbit.

Tracking derbies: I didnt get to do some jumps at Eloy when the guy came (bad weather), but I'm not sure the metrics are the best to maximize seperation. He measure distance on a time window (from 10 seconds out, for 45 seconds, or something like that). In reality, you have a elevation window (from 4500 to 3000 for example), not a time window. So while you compare apples to apples between people in the competitions, to me, its doenst represent real tracking, but its better then nothing.

Like many said: get some coaching, a couple jumps with video of your track; practice every track, even a 2 way, like a max-track; and dont look below you feet behind you: if you do, you are probably pitched too much.
Remster

Well, this isn't my first post about tracking.

This time I'm interested to hear what people have to say about "advancing" in tracking. I'd like to know how your learning curves have taken place... how did you start tracking, what changes did you make to improve, what obstacles did you have to overcome, at what points you seemed to be stuck, etc.

All responses appreciated.

1. Find an excellent tracking coach of the same body shape and size. What works for them should also work for you.

2. 2-way and 3-way dives are excellent for learning. If you can't do it well in a 2-way, you won't be able to do it in a flock.

For Great Deals on Gear

Wow! Thanks for all the answers...

Here's something that came up while reading.. 2-way tracking dives. I've wondered how to do them and not have it be a waste of time. For example... should I just pretend it's a solo and track as hard as I can while the other more experienced tracker watches me? What if I want to go with someone that is all not that good... what's a good plan?

Another thing... about big tracking dives, I've seen pics of the people and I don't think any of them look to be in max track positions. Are big tracking dives more really for things like practicing positioning yourself in the air compared to max performace tracking?

There aren't that many people in my DZ interested in tracking, but I can think of one or two that would go up with me... that's why I'm basically asking about plans for 2-way tracks, etc.

Once again, all input appreciated. ;)

Most tracking dives I've been on, I've been able to keep up side sliding and backsliding. So these were just moving dives.

But when you get a good leader that really knows how to cook it, that's some fun stuff.

But sometimes, if the group is too big, even a good leader will tone it down for the least experienced person. It's a consequence of putting together the "great big track dive at sunset". But at least you're in the air with a lot of friends.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

First off, remember that back-tracking is the same as freeflying, and your Vector II may or may not be ready for that (hint: unless a rigger has spent some time making it ready for freeflying, it's not).

As far as two-ways, or solo dives, thats the way to get started. The most important thing to remember with either one is your position in the exit order, and your movement relative to jump run. Don't forget that jumpers in freefall will be right on jump run, but after they open, they can and will fly off of that line, into other airspace.

I can't tell you how to handle that at your DZ. Every DZ has their own policies, and you should ask the DZO what to do.

Beyond that it's a skill like any other. Practice makes perfect, start with the basics, develop those skills, than move on to more advanced concepts. Take it one step at a time.

Once you can track far and fast, remember where you are, and where others are before you pull the trigger on that. If you're on a 4-way RW with some low timers, and you break off at 5k, tracking up the jump run at full speed is a bad idea. You'll cover alot of ground in 2.5k ft, and most likely fly under the group behind you.

For example... should I just pretend it's a solo and track as hard as I can while the other more experienced tracker watches me?

Yes! If you're confident the other person can keep up. You may want to ease it on slowly to give them a fighting chance - just incase you smoke them.

What if I want to go with someone that is all not that good... what's a good plan?

If one of you can backtrack that's a nice way of doing it. Otherwise just track alongside each other, maintain eye contact and slowly crank up the pace. Tracking in close proximity like that is hard but great fun.

Are big tracking dives more really for things like practicing positioning yourself in the air compared to max performace tracking?

Big tracking dives are often more of a social think than a tracking thing!

Remember to be VERY wary of your heading on tracking jumps and where other groups are, it's very easy to close big distances whilst tracking and it would suck to suddenly find yourself in the middle of another group opening.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

This time I'm interested to hear what people have to say about "advancing" in tracking.

You need some visual feedback to see how well you are doing. Clouds really help, but the best out there is a big mountain.

Watch "Superterminal" to see the best trackers in action, it will recalibrate your visual scale. While you're looking for that DVD, same guys are here (footage that didn't make the main movie):

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3116&string=virtus

Glide ratio in a good track these days is over 1.

bsbd!

Yuri.

Watch "Superterminal" to see the best trackers in action, it will recalibrate your visual scale. While you're looking for that DVD, same guys are here (footage that didn't make the main movie)

As much as i enjoy watching these dudes track (i hope someday i'll be able to do that too) afaik they do use special tracking suits. I'm not saying its all because of their suits, but its definitely part of their magic :)

Btw, i think these tracking suits are kinda like the ones ski-jumper use.

First, it is important to restate that a tracking derby competition style track is different from the most efficient track possible. In the tracking derby an angle as steep as 45 degrees could produce the best results. Also, to reach the distances needed to place in these competitions you need to be tracking downwind, not many DZ's will want you tracking downwind especiallly with low jump numbers.

As far as improving your tracking goes, find a competent backtracker and have him lead small dives. I learned a lot by having a very proficient tracker lead dives and having him gradually increase speed throughout the dive and keeping pace with him.

Learn to track in formation as well. Groups are not a waste of your time. Having to keep a certain amount of speed while maneuvering side to side and up or down forces you to use vaious inputs. I first learned how to drop down on a formation, then applied the opposite body position to float. You will realise that simply spreading your fingers can effect your elevation, pointing your toes pushes you forward, etc... my point is that by learning the nuances of your track, especially through trying to build tracking formations you will understand what you are doing and you can manipulate your track further.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is to try tracking without using your arms. Clasp your hands just below your boc and balance with just your legs. I guess my overall suggestion is to learn how each part of your body effects your track through experimentation, be patient. Not only will you fly more efficiently but at least in my case, i feel more as if I am 'flying' my body and I enjoy that more than anything else.

Most importantly, have fun.

woa....that was cool....

Good advises here. 2-way 3-way, why not ?

But I also see the bigger tracking dives very helpful even though they wouldnt be that fast.

I.E. It is essential to learn how to get back up in the picture when you fall under. This you would not learn really on a 2-way.

Also I think it is easier to see the effects of your bodypositions relative to a big way, that does not forgive your mistakes.

Try everything.. Exit a little late and catch up etc..

my turnign point came when someone hosed me on a tracking dive and I just straightened my body out and took off and caught the formation and learned how to haul ass....

which is nice when big jumps go bad cause you can haul across the sky and get the fuck away

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

First, it is important to restate that a tracking derby competition style track is different from the most efficient track possible. In the tracking derby an angle as steep as 45 degrees could produce the best results. Also, to reach the distances needed to place in these competitions you need to be tracking downwind, not many DZ's will want you tracking downwind especiallly with low jump numbers.

Hmm, I do not totally agree on that. On both a derby or a seperation track, you try to cover as much distance possible in the altitude you got. (best glide)
So the "only" difference is the altitude you can spend.

In other words, you will make it further if you slowly take more angle when your forward speed builds up, like in the the "derby style track" as you call it.
The extra speed you pick up creates lift, so your vertical speed wont increase that much and the extra distance you get in return is way higher, when done properly.

Try to play with that angle is what I would recommend to anybody wanting to improve tracking skillz. The body position your after is like lying flat on the ground, with your nose on the floor. Legs straight, toes pointed. Arms a little out to the side, for stability, but hands flat, thumbs pointing to the front. Dont arch or dearch, look to your toes, cup or roll your shoulders down as this will actually make your body less aerodynamic.
See this position as your wing and compare it to your canopy. If you want to go steaper, you take the leading edge of the wing down by pulling the front riser, so in freefall it means you have to push your leading edge down as well, being your head, shoulders and arms, and a little bit of torso. As soon as you feel you take more angle try to "lock" the angle your in by going back to your basic wing position. (you must love this sensation of speeding up!)
Going more flat is the other way around, pull that leading edge up.
Breaking on a canopy is done by pulling the tale down a bit, in your track you can do this by tucking your knees down in the relative wind, that will feel like its coming from the front and is hitting you on the head, not your belly.
This way you can adjust angle and speed seperately, making it possible to fly really precise with anybody within the thru range of your own body, offcourse you will have to practise first...

What a bummer ;)

I uploaded two pictures of a jump we did last summer. This is what you're after, offcourse he had his head down here, but he had to smile to the camera :)
As you can see he is still a little bit in brakes, his knees push against the airflow, slowing him down.
Man, does this guy TAKE OFF when he smokes it. :D

Thanks guys. I'll dedicate a couple of dives to tracking without using my arms... I'm wondering how that would come out.

That's called a delta. Gives some forward movement with some downward movement, made for diving down to the formation. By not pushing on the air with your arms, you pitch more head down. It's not an efficient way to move across the sky. But it does have it's uses.:)