beuxbunk

Am i waisting my time???

I have been searching the internet and emailing dropzones about getting a summer job packing parachutes but dont get replied or offered a job. Is it an unspoken rule not to hire people they dont know to pack? Should I need over 200 jumps to be taken seriously?:S Thanks

Not necessarily...I was hired to pack/run manifest without any knowledge of packing prior. But I started training in the winter to be ready for spring/summer. Call the DZ's, don't just email. Go there and speak to the DZO in person. You may have a different result.

Start by completing your profile.

Aspiring professional packers are a dime-a-dozen, so DZs can afford to pick and chose.

Unless you have a reputation - like Packing Kathy - prepare to start at the bottom of the pecking order (i.e. only packing for up-jumpers and only on the busiest weekends). If your pack consistently quickly and neatly, then you can expect to slowly move up the packing order. On smaller DZs you will only be able to move up when senior packers retire.
Don't worry, turn-over is pretty quick in the skydiving business. You could move from junior hangar sweeper to Senior Rigger in a couple of years.

Which brings us to the other issue: licensing. There is an antique American Federal Air Regulation that says that main parachutes cna only be packed by the next guy who plans to jump it or a licensed parachute rigger. Which means that larger DZs expect new packers hold FAA Riggers' Certificates or work under the supervision of a licensed rigger. This also means kicking-back 50 cents or a dollar of every pack job to the rigger who is supervising you.

The good news is that packers are the best paid workers on the DZ, making up to $600 per day, often tax-free.

Not really. You don't say where you are looking, but if you are in the northern tier of states, you are way ahead of the season. Things don't start rolling up here until late March (even though safety day is the second weekend). Keep trying until you get a response - go there in person as well- and then follow up persistently. Good luck.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I noticed that you are from Norway - do you have all the proper paper work to work in the USA?

If you do it might be important to make sure that prospective employers are informed of this.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

The good news is that packers are the best paid workers on the DZ, making up to $600 per day, often tax-free.

600.00 :o

assuming they pack around 70 chutes that day - right ?

More than that. :)
Packing is feast or famine. When there's lots of jumpers making lots of jumps, you can make bank. When the weather sucks, so does the pay.

For Great Deals on Gear

Thats 10 hours of 10 minute tandem pack jobs at $10 each... not sure its realistic Rob....

***The tax free part is true though, oh, and chicks dig packers.

I packed on weekends for a year and I never made more than 200 dollars a day. Still 200 dollars a day is pretty damn nice...

Chicks dig packers? When did this happen? Why wasn't I informed? :S In my experience, although packers are one of the most important people at the DZ, they are by far the most abused and the least appreciated.

Oh, and orginal guy, I definitely feel your pain. I've got over 1000 pack jobs and there's not a single DZ in Florida that would hire me. :(

They're important in the sense that they provide a service.

They're unimportant in the sense that the service provided is unnecessary for any licensed skydiver who doesn't have medical problems or doesn't have a very tight jump schedule. For these people, they're very valuable.

My experience is that the majority of people who use packers do so because it's a pain in the ass to pack and that time could be spent chillin' with the dudes instead.

The vast majority of jumpers could jump without packers. Gotta agree with you though that they don't seem to be appreciated by the people who use them and some treat them as personal slaves.

I caved in on my last Russia trip and got a packer. Personally, I was extremely appreciative of his work and the conditions he was working under - and indicated my thankfulness by a rather large tip.